Dieletrics for liquids

Post your tutorials and help questions in this forum
talats

Dieletrics for liquids

Post by talats »

Hi Guys,
I am in troubles with Kray and Dieletrics.
In my scene, I have a corner with a table with a couple of Ice Tea Glasses on. In the making of Ice Tea liquid, it would be necessary to give a color in the dieletric material (orange in my case) and increase the value for absorbtion but, even with too high value (as 20000) the material continue to be transparent and uncolored... Is this a Kray bug or am I wrong somenthing?
Janusz Biela

Re: Dieletrics for liquids

Post by Janusz Biela »

talats wrote:Hi Guys,
In my scene, I have a corner with a table with a couple of Ice Tea Glasses on. In the making of Ice Tea liquid, it would be necessary to give a color in the dieletric material (orange in my case) and increase the value for absorbtion but, even with too high value (as 20000) the material continue to be transparent and uncolored... Is this a Kray bug or am I wrong somenthing?
Dielectric has bugs (I am not sure, but problem is on the Node side) I suggest not use it. But problem is only with strong random light leak in scene from this Node. Rest works perfect and I wait when this Node will works correctly in Kray.
talats

Post by talats »

Janusz Biela wrote:
talats wrote:Hi Guys,
Dielectric has bugs (I am not sure, but problem is on the Node side) I suggest not use it. But problem is only with strong random light leak in scene from this Node. Rest works perfect and I wait when this Node will works correctly in Kray.
My Corner is an outside render, so the lighting is by Phisky with Phisical Sun... Sun power 0.5 and Exp 2...
talats

Post by talats »

And Anyway there is always somenthing of LW that doesn't work with Kray... Fiber Fx, Istances (still waiting for Kray 2.5), nodes... and the most of the time it depend by newtek that doen't answer and doesn't share the LW SDK... How it can be possible for a developer the development of externarl software (like Kray) in this condition?
The Kray Team make the best possible Job each day but I am starting to be tired of "Mom Newtek"... Kray is the only good render engine for LW and Newtek still doesn't share the SDK? The sharing of LW SDK would resolve a lot of issue for developer!!!
talats

I THINK IT IS A KRAY BUG

Post by talats »

I am starting to think that is a Kray Bug... Just made some test here...

If i put the liquid outside from the glass (event without node, so, the mesh with just a color apply and a trasparancy gradient) kray reder it correct. But if I put the liquid in the glass, Kray see it completely transparent. I also Tried to make the liquid opaque, so no tranpsarency applyed... but Kray see transparent as the glass.
Maybe it's because the liquid share the faces with the internal faces of the glass... It like if kray can't render a transparent surface lotated behind another transparent surface if the two different transparent surfaces have a different refraction index (1.334 for the liquid - 1.5 for the Glass) and share faces (to make the liquid it just selected the interal part of the glass and copyed in another layer)... Indeed if I make the liquid a millimiter smaller than the internal glass, Kray render it properly but it is possible to see that the liquid doesn't touch the glass, it is visible the millimeter of air between the glass and the liquid and the effect it is not nice. I guess it is a Kray bug, so, please, take a look guys
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

Can You just post this scene + some photo references . I will check problem.
Jim M

Post by Jim M »

I had an issue similar to this with LW renderer a couple of times.
Once it was to do with overlapping polys, or polys not set up correctly for liquids in a glass (theres a few ways to approach this, but one correct one).
The other time I had this 'effect' was when I had an env sphere for reflection/emission and I had ambient occlusion flags set wrong in combination with too low ray bounces.