Instance HUGE issue

Post your tutorials and help questions in this forum
khan973

Instance HUGE issue

Post by khan973 »

I have a very very annoying problem with instances
I have huge scene so I worked each piece separately for the sake of efficiency & speed. In those independant scenes, there are many instances.
When importing them all in the master scene (Import from scene) All Instances are completely messed up (the object instanced is an other object). Very counter productive.

I was thinking maybe instances use object' ID, not object's name which leads to an other ID when Imported.
If so, It will be a show stopper for me

I'll check in other versions of Lightwave or it means I'll have to check Thousands objects one by one.

Edit: same problem in LW10.1. Some objects are instancing to completely different object from what was made originaly...
I would like to find a solution cause there is a 10days work assuming it was working with import from scene. I will try with 9.6.1 as it's the one I'll use on the renderfarm.

Edit2: even after seeing the problem, if I replace by hand to re-associate the right instance, it doesn't show on render. Like they are gone! Or not working anymore.
I can't find a work around.

Edit3: I tried parent in place on and off to be sure the problem wasn't it.
Janusz Biela

Re: Instance HUGE issue

Post by Janusz Biela »

I know the problem. I do not think so this work that...but not because is error in kray or LW.
Maybe try also load item from scene also Master Plugin: SCENE EDITOR and Scene Editor Standard Banks...but really I am not sure...or load items from scene only real object and after that again but clones points...
khan973

Post by khan973 »

Thanks Jure, but it didn't work either.
I think I found the problem. As I suspected, as soon as I re-initialize Kray instances one by one, they work.
I explain:
When importing the scene, instances refer to certain objects ID.
When importing an other scene, incoming objects used to refer to certain object ID that are now used by the fist loaded scene.
So I think Instance just grab the object ID they have to grab no matter which scene they come from.
In the Instances parameters, if I select the right object, it still doesn't work. I have to remove the plug-in, and put it back with the right object. That way, Instances know the "right object ID" in this scene and resets the plugin with it.
If I don't do that, it seems like it keeps the old object ID stored somewhere.

It would make sense that way. I can understand that Instances refer to object ID so when it changes name, it remains instanced but there should be a workaround to make it more straight forward or at least to make it work when importing from scene.

Maybe a script would do the job, it would check in the new scene the object ID & object names at the same time and would let you choose which one Kray Instances should refer to. Then if you choose by object name, no matter what, it will just reset everything and re-associate internally the instances to the right objects ID.

It must be easy to do when you know how to program :p
jure

Post by jure »

khan973 wrote:Thanks Jure, but it didn't work either.
I think I found the problem. As I suspected, as soon as I re-initialize Kray instances one by one, they work.
I explain:
When importing the scene, instances refer to certain objects ID.
When importing an other scene, incoming objects used to refer to certain object ID that are now used by the fist loaded scene.
So I think Instance just grab the object ID they have to grab no matter which scene they come from.
In the Instances parameters, if I select the right object, it still doesn't work. I have to remove the plug-in, and put it back with the right object. That way, Instances know the "right object ID" in this scene and resets the plugin with it.
If I don't do that, it seems like it keeps the old object ID stored somewhere.

It would make sense that way. I can understand that Instances refer to object ID so when it changes name, it remains instanced but there should be a workaround to make it more straight forward or at least to make it work when importing from scene.

Maybe a script would do the job, it would check in the new scene the object ID & object names at the same time and would let you choose which one Kray Instances should refer to. Then if you choose by object name, no matter what, it will just reset everything and re-associate internally the instances to the right objects ID.

It must be easy to do when you know how to program :p
As you correctly predicted it's objects ID that Kray remembers, not the name. And when you are importing from scene object ID's can get messed up so there's no easy solution around this problem.

However I do not understand why after reassigning the correct object it wouldn't render? Can you prepare a scene that shows this problem so I can check if there is some bug?
- Jure
khan973

Post by khan973 »

When I reassign by just going in the plug-in, it's like the ID is already stored no matter what I do.
I have to remove the plug-in and put it back. I haven't tried to close and re-open LW though.
I'll post an example asap
Thanks
jure

Post by jure »

i made some modification to Kray Instances plugin. Please test it and tell me if it works any better. It should allow you to reassign object without removing plugin.
Attachments
KrayInstances.lsc
(48.02 KiB) Downloaded 206 times
- Jure
khan973

Post by khan973 »

Thanks, it works! I'm happy I won't have to spend hours doing it!