Mirrored Instance

Post your tutorials and help questions in this forum
khan973

Mirrored Instance

Post by khan973 »

Hi guys, I tried to do mirrored instance and it is not working.
I have a shape associated to a null.
I copy the hierarchy
I mirror the Null parent (X size : -1.0) and when i want this object to be an instance, it doesn't appear.
It appears only If I put its Null parent to 1.0 again...
Is there a way to make mirrored instances?
khan973

Re: Mirrored Instance

Post by khan973 »

Any answer?
How do you manage mirror instances?
So far from what I've tested, it's only possible by doing an ctual mirror of the object and ther instance that one.
It couls save me a few hudred thousand polys if there was a more straight forward solution.
Thanks guys
jure

Post by jure »

khan973 wrote:Hi guys, I tried to do mirrored instance and it is not working.
I have a shape associated to a null.
I copy the hierarchy
I mirror the Null parent (X size : -1.0) and when i want this object to be an instance, it doesn't appear.
It appears only If I put its Null parent to 1.0 again...
Is there a way to make mirrored instances?
Clone object, replace it with Null and change it's scale to -1. That works here. I'm not sure what's going on with your hierarchies though... post a scene and i'll take a look.
- Jure
khan973

Post by khan973 »

Here is my scene
Instance_Test.zip
Instance test files
(1.43 MiB) Downloaded 218 times
I did a simple scene with original object on one side and mirrored clone on the other side (-1 X)
Then I replaced both with Point poly + Kray instance
I did the same with Null
scene
scene
After render, it looks like this
render
render
Instance works on point poly but not on the one that has been mirrored.
If I parent them to a null and mirror it , same result.

So it appears Kray wont instance objects of child objects that have negative size values.
Is there a workaround to mave mirrored instances?
khan973

Post by khan973 »

I have a very very annoying problem with instance also... :cry:
I have huge scene so I worked each piece separately for the sake of efficiency & speed. In those independant scenes, there are many instances.
When importing them all in the master scene (Import from scene) All Instances are completely messed up (the object instanced is an other object). Very counter productive.

I was thinking maybe instances use object' ID, not object's name which leads to an other ID when Imported.
If so, It will be a show stopper for me :(

I'll check in other versions of Lightwave or it means I'll have to check Thousands objects one by one.

Edit: same problem in LW10.1. Some objects are instancing to completely different object from what was made originaly...
I would like to find a solution cause there is a 10days work assuming it was working with import from scene. I will try with 9.6.1 as it's the one I'll use on the renderfarm.

Edit2: even after seeing the problem, if I replace by hand to re-associate the right instance, it doesn't show on render. Like they are gone! Or not working anymore.
I can't find a work around.
jure

Post by jure »

khan973 wrote:I have a very very annoying problem with instance also... :cry:
I have huge scene so I worked each piece separately for the sake of efficiency & speed. In those independant scenes, there are many instances.
When importing them all in the master scene (Import from scene) All Instances are completely messed up (the object instanced is an other object). Very counter productive.

I was thinking maybe instances use object' ID, not object's name which leads to an other ID when Imported.
If so, It will be a show stopper for me :(

I'll check in other versions of Lightwave or it means I'll have to check Thousands objects one by one.

Edit: same problem in LW10.1. Some objects are instancing to completely different object from what was made originaly...
I would like to find a solution cause there is a 10days work assuming it was working with import from scene. I will try with 9.6.1 as it's the one I'll use on the renderfarm.

Edit2: even after seeing the problem, if I replace by hand to re-associate the right instance, it doesn't show on render. Like they are gone! Or not working anymore.
I can't find a work around.
You could try it the other way around perhaps? Import non insanced items into the scene with instances? That way object ID's shouldn't get messed up.
- Jure
jure

Post by jure »

khan973 wrote:Here is my scene
Instance_Test.zip
I did a simple scene with original object on one side and mirrored clone on the other side (-1 X)
Then I replaced both with Point poly + Kray instance
I did the same with Null
Instance_explained.JPG
After render, it looks like this
Instance_Render.jpg
Instance works on point poly but not on the one that has been mirrored.
If I parent them to a null and mirror it , same result.

So it appears Kray wont instance objects of child objects that have negative size values.
Is there a workaround to mave mirrored instances?
I checked the scene. It seems that negative scale is not working on -X but on -Y and -Z it is working. Looks like a bug.
- Jure
khan973

Post by khan973 »

Thannnnnnks!
Really, I didn't try as I thought it wouldn't work.
If you can remember that issue to fix it that would be awesome.
Maybe notify it on the Wiki (manual).
I'll change my scenes, at least Z + rotation will help.
jure

Post by jure »

khan973 wrote:Thannnnnnks!
Really, I didn't try as I thought it wouldn't work.
If you can remember that issue to fix it that would be awesome.
Maybe notify it on the Wiki (manual).
I'll change my scenes, at least Z + rotation will help.
We will try to fix it for 2.5.
- Jure