Network rendering and GI cache

Post your tutorials and help questions in this forum
mdharrington

Network rendering and GI cache

Post by mdharrington »

was looking into a GI cache over BNR net render......

checked out the network rendering tutorial....mostly referred to 'share for all frames' mode...

problem here is, my scene is a day to night animation...with flickering light that comes on during the night....so i'm thinking i need at least time interpolation
I don't see anywhere how to bake radiosity for that....
so i thought of path tracing....as it said in the tutorial....

"Path tracing can also be used on farm. It does not use photon maps so there is one thing less to worry about. If you are using Cached Irradiance then you should first make a preredner pass. If you are not using Cached Irradiance then you don't need to do the prerender pass."

i would like to use cached irradience.....How do I do a prerender pass using path tracing?

Thanks
Mike
jure

Re: Network rendering and GI cache

Post by jure »

mdharrington wrote:was looking into a GI cache over BNR net render......

checked out the network rendering tutorial....mostly referred to 'share for all frames' mode...

problem here is, my scene is a day to night animation...with flickering light that comes on during the night....so i'm thinking i need at least time interpolation
I don't see anywhere how to bake radiosity for that....
so i thought of path tracing....as it said in the tutorial....

"Path tracing can also be used on farm. It does not use photon maps so there is one thing less to worry about. If you are using Cached Irradiance then you should first make a preredner pass. If you are not using Cached Irradiance then you don't need to do the prerender pass."

i would like to use cached irradience.....How do I do a prerender pass using path tracing?

Thanks
Mike
If your light is changing you cannot save and reuse GI data because light is dynamic and cannot be baked. You need to use brute force uncached rendering with enough photons to prevent flickering or Time interpolation mode which will blend GI data from couple of frames.
- Jure
mdharrington

Post by mdharrington »

Jure, thanks....my question was really more along the lines of network rendering.

I was specifically asking how to do a path tracing pre cache pass as it says in the network rendering tutorial.
Or are you saying we can't even use cached irradiance with light changing?
jure

Post by jure »

mdharrington wrote:Jure, thanks....my question was really more along the lines of network rendering.

I was specifically asking how to do a path tracing pre cache pass as it says in the network rendering tutorial.
Or are you saying we can't even use cached irradiance with light changing?
You can use cached irradiance but I would not recommend it because it relies too much on photon map which changes between frames.
- Jure