get a new workstation for animation and video editing

General disscusion about Kray
azman_821009

get a new workstation for animation and video editing

Post by azman_821009 »

Hi guys,

I am planning to get a new workstation for animation & video editing. But i have several questions about the hardwares... Asus Rampage III motherboard can support memory up to 48gb and SLi support. What is the exactly function if I put higher memory size as well SLi graphic card? Fast rendering especially for sequences? What is the different between Nvidia Quadro anf Nvidia G-Force?

Need some opinion from you guys.

Thanks.

Azmen
jnom

Re: get a new workstation for animation and video editing

Post by jnom »

For video editing and rendering its best to get a fast cpu. The best bang for the buck right now is the 2600k i7. 48gb memory is super plenty so you can store more textures, data into ram rather than the harddisk which makes accessing, manipulating, editing faster in 3D and video. SLI are good for realtime displays like games. They have nothing to do with rendering though. A quadro card is optimized for opengl viewport speed in 3d appz while the normal consumer cards gforce are for gaming and media. Sadly quadro cards have no effect on lw and it will just be a waste if you only use lw. But using even a lowend quadro with 3dmax with 5million real polys is super fluid than using a high end gforce gaming card.
azman_821009

Post by azman_821009 »

Thanks for the information jnom. OK here is the list for my new workstation.

Intel i7 extreme 990X
48GB DDR3 Corsair
Asus ENGTX580 1535MB D5 384Bit Matrix
250GB HDD (main partition)
2TB HDD (second partition)

It's good enough for animation and video editing?
Also I would like to know is it any different if the main partition I will use SSD 240gb?

Thanks
jure

Post by jure »

Make sure you get SSD HD for main partition! Otherwise your config looks great. 8)
- Jure
jnom

Post by jnom »

That is more than capable. Its a montster rig. My stuff is like only 30% power of what you have.

But somehow the 980x is slower than a 2600k i7. Wonder if the 990x extreme is worth it.
You can compare some benchmark here.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/142?vs=287

edit
Seems the 990x extreme is the fastest intel chip but at 3 times the price to me its not worth it.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/di ... html#sect0
Power consumption is high and the savings I get with a 2600k could be spent on better components for the pc.
azman_821009

Post by azman_821009 »

Thanks jnom for the links.
azman_821009

Post by azman_821009 »

I have a question about memory management in Kray and RAM. Let's say I put in 48GB RAM or 24GB RAM? Is there a big difference between the two in terms of rendering speed? Or are there other benefits using either memory numbers?
vgabex

Post by vgabex »

azman_821009 wrote:I have a question about memory management in Kray and RAM. Let's say I put in 48GB RAM or 24GB RAM? Is there a big difference between the two in terms of rendering speed? Or are there other benefits using either memory numbers?
Let's say you have a huge scene eating 20GB RAM. The rendering won't be quicker with 48GB RAM installed. If your scene does not requires more RAM to render, only faster CPU can lower rendering time.