The custom settings

Post your tutorials and help questions in this forum
thomas

The custom settings

Post by thomas »

Hi there!

I'm in the habit - still learning - of using the low, medium and high standard settings a lot. Is this a good or a bad idea? I know it's okay to start, but sometimes I see Janus or Jure tweaking scenes like hell and getting stellar results AND render times, and I get the idea that the 'high' settings are a bit brute force for me.

I also see the term 'importancegammamultiplier' tossed around a lot. What is that and how does it help?

Thx,
Thomas
jure

Re: The custom settings

Post by jure »

thomas wrote:Hi there!

I'm in the habit - still learning - of using the low, medium and high standard settings a lot. Is this a good or a bad idea? I know it's okay to start, but sometimes I see Janus or Jure tweaking scenes like hell and getting stellar results AND render times, and I get the idea that the 'high' settings are a bit brute force for me.

I also see the term 'importancegammamultiplier' tossed around a lot. What is that and how does it help?

Thx,
Thomas
Yes well like you found out high preset is usually quite an overkill. When I start a new project I usually select medium and then switch to custom because some setting in medium are not really optimal for my scenes.
Lately I always set GI resolution by hand - it's easier to transfer same settings between scenes this way. For interiors i stick with 250mm and exteriors around 1m - depending on exterior size.

But as always the part where you can save most of the time in rendering is FG. So in FG tab most important settings are min and max rays and spatial tolerance. The higher min/max the more rays Kray will use - hence slower render but better quality. And the lower the spatial tolerance more FG sample points Kray will generate and again this means better quality but slower rendering.

importancegammamultiplier i don't really use because I haven't found it to really speed up things for me. But I know Janusz uses it constantly so you can try it if you want. When you increase this value above 1 you will need to increase min/max blurring rays to get smooth reflections.
- Jure
Janusz Biela

Re: The custom settings

Post by Janusz Biela »

jure wrote:
importancegammamultiplier i don't really use because I haven't found it to really speed up things for me. But I know Janusz uses it constantly so you can try it if you want. When you increase this value above 1 you will need to increase min/max blurring rays to get smooth reflections.

I use last time with parametr
importancegammamultiplier 2.0
and true is that this is very fast, but min/max blur must be ~20.000/80.000 (!)
But I am not sure is real big difference between old.new engine :lol: