Kray License error

General disscusion about Kray
olahaldor

Kray License error

Post by olahaldor »

I have just built a model and I'd like to give it a spin and see if there's anything I need to fix before I take it further. I occasionally run into this error, but I think I found the source now..

I activate the PhySky. Test render. Open the PhySky panel again, and I'm presented with a neat little box, simply saying "Kray license error". Or something of that sort.

I click OK to make it go away, and then I try to open the KrayOptions again. A new box shows up.
Error: KRAY.LSC wrote:Line 3327, invalid argument 1 type to ctlposition()

Even if I try to quit LightWave Layout in a normal manner, it won't let me. The application just sits there with the spinning wheel of colors. Only way to do it is to force quit the application via Activity Monitor.

Mac, LightWave 9.6
Mac Pro 8-core 2.26GHz Mac OS 10.8.2
LightWave 3D 11, LWCAD 4.2, Kray 2.51
jure

Re: Kray License error

Post by jure »

olahaldor wrote:I have just built a model and I'd like to give it a spin and see if there's anything I need to fix before I take it further. I occasionally run into this error, but I think I found the source now..

I activate the PhySky. Test render. Open the PhySky panel again, and I'm presented with a neat little box, simply saying "Kray license error". Or something of that sort.

I click OK to make it go away, and then I try to open the KrayOptions again. A new box shows up.
Error: KRAY.LSC wrote:Line 3327, invalid argument 1 type to ctlposition()

Even if I try to quit LightWave Layout in a normal manner, it won't let me. The application just sits there with the spinning wheel of colors. Only way to do it is to force quit the application via Activity Monitor.

Mac, LightWave 9.6
hmm it sounds like lscript issue with LW <9.6. Did you try with 9.6.1?
- Jure
olahaldor

Post by olahaldor »

9.6.1 is just as, if not more, buggy..

I did a clean re-install of the entire system. Mac OS X, LightWave, everything, just two weeks ago. Thought that would help with the problems, but it's just as buggy.
jure

Post by jure »

olahaldor wrote:9.6.1 is just as, if not more, buggy..

I did a clean re-install of the entire system. Mac OS X, LightWave, everything, just two weeks ago. Thought that would help with the problems, but it's just as buggy.
I use PC and this bug was happening a lot on 9.6 64bit. But in 9.6.1 beta it seems to be fixed. Not sure about mac though... Is this bug 100% reproducible on your system?
- Jure
3dworks

Post by 3dworks »

i'm using LW 9.6.1 64 bit a lot and also with kray - but i never had this one. sounds like a corrupt installation to me. are you using kray physical sky build 1092 and kray.lsc build 1207?

if you want to test my foolproof method for installing LW on a mac, try this:

1. get applejack (google for it, current version is at 1.6), install it.

2. restart with command+S key pressed. mac now boots in single user mode.

3. when the commandline prompt is visible and steady, type 'applejack AUTO restart' with AUTO as capitals. this will run a suite of OSX internal disk/permission/cache checks and will repair everything as needed. this process can last from a seconds up to 20 min and more. mac will restart automatically after this process. you can read about the details of this 'deep cleaning' process in the applejack documentation. it's more or less like rebooting from an external DVD with OSX and running disk utility and a lot more of unix routine checks - but just in one macro, so don't be afraid of it.

4. reinstall from scratch LW 9.6.1 by dragging its folder from the DMG to the destination on youre volume. rename that folder to a unique name (for example, i name 'LW961UB64' - just don't use the default name given from NT).

5. open that folder (which is containing on its top level layout.app, modeler.app and so on) and create a new folder named 'Preferences' on that level. this will make LW create 'local' custom preferences the next time you startup layout or modeler (as a PC user you would name that 'custom configs') which won't get mixed up with any other LW installations on your drive.

6. finally, complete the setup of that LW installation (copy/place kray and all other 3rd party plugins where you want to have them, then scan for plugins and scripts, configure menus etc).

7. congratulations, your setup now should be perfectly stable. just in case, zip *now* the new LW folder, so you can revert to that stage at any time in future.

cheers

markus
Last edited by 3dworks on Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
olahaldor

Post by olahaldor »

Yes, it's PhySky build 1092 and Kray build 1207.

I'll give your method a go when I'm done converting 12+ hours of HD to PAL.... "Estimated 23h 18min remaining" :roll:
olahaldor

Post by olahaldor »

Haven't had time to check this until now. I've engaged the "applejack AUTO restart" now and it's running through the process. Looking forward to, and hope all this will make it work as it should.

Will come back with more when LW is installed after your recipe. :)
3dworks

Post by 3dworks »

well, i cross my fingers ;)
olahaldor

Post by olahaldor »

I suddenly got a bunch of stuff on my 'to do list', so I didn't get time to test too much. But so far, so good. :)