animation / fly thru

Post your tutorials and help questions in this forum
jdomingo

animation / fly thru

Post by jdomingo »

first of all, thanks to kray team for the upgrade. really love kray for its simplicity yet powerful tool. thanks guys.

ok now my question.
can anyone show me how to do a fly thru in step by step. is it adviceable to using camera texture bake or no texture baking?
if texture baking is good, can anyone show me how to bake texture step by step. i am not using a render farm so no render farming thing please.
thanks for your help.
pok

Re: animation / fly thru

Post by pok »

Just follow the same steps like when using a renderfarm when you want GI-baking

1.Bake GI by rendering 1 frame - shared for all frames - put it on update instead of save- 100% render (farm can lower this) - without AA - REST ON
2.Put GI to load or update, AA on, render the scene

If you want to use texture baking you have to follow the manual of kray, but it's a lot more work than GI baking. Here at POK is people time more expensive then computer time, so it's mostly GI-baking we do.

I hope this helps,

Fabian-POK
jure

Post by jure »

jdomingo wrote:first of all, thanks to kray team for the upgrade. really love kray for its simplicity yet powerful tool. thanks guys.

ok now my question.
can anyone show me how to do a fly thru in step by step. is it adviceable to using camera texture bake or no texture baking?
if texture baking is good, can anyone show me how to bake texture step by step. i am not using a render farm so no render farming thing please.
thanks for your help.
Hi,

check out this little tutorial: http://www.kraytracing.com/wiki/Network ... All_Frames
- Jure
jdomingo

Post by jdomingo »

thanks for the reply.
POK & Jure, i tried a 3000 frames fly through with your advice and tuts, with 30 frames step. total rendering time is about 3 hours to finish the fly thru but it CHOPPY and there is no AA even after i load the gi data and adjust my AA before rendering anim. is there a way of making is smooth flying thru even i have step assigned? I post here it under confidential. its a government project.

thanks
jure

Post by jure »

jdomingo wrote:thanks for the reply.
POK & Jure, i tried a 3000 frames fly through with your advice and tuts, with 30 frames step. total rendering time is about 3 hours to finish the fly thru but it CHOPPY and there is no AA even after i load the gi data and adjust my AA before rendering anim. is there a way of making is smooth flying thru even i have step assigned? I post here it under confidential. its a government project.

thanks
I'm not sure what you are doing exactly. If there is no AA then you must be doing something wrong. Maybe 30 frame step is also too high?
- Jure
jdomingo

Post by jdomingo »

here is what i did:
1. i set my animation to 3000 frames with step at 30
2. camera resolution is 720 x 450
3. kray setting to "low"
4. G.I. mode to "shared all frame" then "update"
5. i turned AA off and reflection to 10/50 on quality tab
6. then i render 1 frame to save G.I. data.
7. i turned on AA to about 2 box with .6 grid FSSA on
8. "load" G.I. data
9. then render the animation.

i dont know if this is what i understand about the tutorial.
Thanks
jure

Post by jure »

jdomingo wrote:here is what i did:
1. i set my animation to 3000 frames with step at 30
2. camera resolution is 720 x 450
3. kray setting to "low"
4. G.I. mode to "shared all frame" then "update"
5. i turned AA off and reflection to 10/50 on quality tab
6. then i render 1 frame to save G.I. data.
7. i turned on AA to about 2 box with .6 grid FSSA on
8. "load" G.I. data
9. then render the animation.

i dont know if this is what i understand about the tutorial.
Thanks
step 6.: You should leave your animation render all 3000 frames. Why did you cancel after 1 frame?

or option 2.:

step 6.: ok
step 8.: You should choose UPDATE not Load.

and I think step 7: AA grid 2 is really too low. Try 4 or 5.
- Jure
erwin zwart

Post by erwin zwart »

jdomingo wrote:but it CHOPPY and there is no AA even after i load the gi data and adjust my AA before rendering anim.
if you get no AA after setting AA my first guess is, didn't you save the LWS OR maybe you pressed the LW F10 to render the anim instead of the Kray button Render Sequence?

Further, like Jure said, it is VERY important that you render all 3000 frames with step 30 in Update mode to get the FULL shared GI file for the whole camera path, if you only do it for the first frame, you fly outside of the Irradiance Cached area very soon and you get wrong GI there.
jdomingo

Post by jdomingo »

to erwin,
what i press is KRAY ANIM. is that the same with the render sequence? what i meant about choppy is, its not smooth flying through. i think because of the step. it shows from 30 then 60 then 90 on so on till it reach 3000 frames, that is why it look choppy, yup plus no AA too. i just tried on one of my heavy scene with instances, lots of reflectioins and only using one pc. well it did manage to finish the animation but the quality is not acceptable. i will try on a smaller model and follow the steps carefully.

Jure i dont understand the step 6-7-8 that you've reply. when saving g.i. the AA is off but still render the whole sequence?
then turn AA back on and render again using the save g.i.? im confused.
erwin zwart

Post by erwin zwart »

In the second pass you should set the frame step to 1 ofcourse... ;)
The frame step 30 for the creation of the shared GI file is just to decrease rendertime in the prerender pass. When your camera travels fast, you have to set that to 5 or even 1 to get the best photonshoot along the camera path. After that you have to render all 3000 frames with step 1 to get a smooth animation.
jure

Post by jure »

jdomingo wrote:to erwin,

Jure i dont understand the step 6-7-8 that you've reply. when saving g.i. the AA is off but still render the whole sequence?
then turn AA back on and render again using the save g.i.? im confused.
Yes, exactly.

First you render without AA because you are only rendering to save GI information, not the final quality animation.

In second step you are rendering ALL frames with final quality AA and using saved GI you created previously.
- Jure
jotta

Post by jotta »

Hello, i have been reading this post because i m doing and animation with an old scene and Kray 1.7. I follow this guide and i have a problem. I have little but noticeable changes in the light of the room when the animation is going on.

I create the Gi for 150 frames with 25 frames step. I use "save" first for the 25 frame step no AA rendering and then i put "load" for the final rendering with one frame step and AA. Whats the diferent betwen "load" and "update"? Should i use Update? is faster "Load" than "update"? Should i use small frame step in the first rendering to avoid the changes in the light?

Also when i try to render in two ordenators i take the GI file that one ordenator creates and take all the files (scene objets images GI) to render in the other ordenator but the frames that generates one ordenator and the other are diferent . And the lght changes in the second ordenator are more noticeable than in the original ordenator.

Any help will be appreciated

Regards
jdomingo

Post by jdomingo »

hi jotta,
im not an expert on this one but base on my experience (and hope it will help you), i use the "update" when doing the final animation. i am kind of confuse with the two as well. before i use load and when i ask questions long time ago, they suggested to use update and so i use "update". well my project is not for commercial use, its just in house thing and not that super high quality. but my boss is kind of happy about the result.
about your ordenator, sorry i cant help you out with that. wait for the masters of kray to reply. have fun with your animation.
jotta

Post by jotta »

Thank you for your answer. I will give it a try and use update instead of load and see what happens. Do you have problems of changes of light from one frame to another using Update? when you do the first rendering which frame step do you use?

Thank you very much
jdomingo

Post by jdomingo »

i didnt change any lighting or light as i cache GI data, but its a good question. are you doing some kind of timelapse from morning to night scene? for the first rendering (caching GI) i use every 10 frames. mmmmmm (thinking). if caching gi is saving gi data then it is safe to say that changing light or lighting setting will affect the saved data when loaded or updated. JURE PLEASE ENLIGHTEN US..... :D