Kray Buffers - render speed

Post your tutorials and help questions in this forum
sat

Kray Buffers - render speed

Post by sat »

Does anybody know if there is a relationship between the render speed and the numbers of selected output buffers while rendering?
pok

Re: Kray Buffers - render speed

Post by pok »

Hi Sat,

I've tried to look for a drop in renderspeed, but havn't found one with buffers activated. But if you use a renderfarm, the rendertime of the total sequence will drop a bit, cause of disc writing the files.( If you want to solve this, you need gigabit network, fiberoptics or very fast discs, raids, etc...but if you need like 30 min to render and 10 sec to write data, its kinda wasted money, buy another computer for your cluster)

I know with generic layout buffers the render will slow down, cause the render engine writes swap files (temp files) for the render process. This can lead to the "out of memory" error. (render with slices then) But since kray works with sem files, I dont think that kray needs extra cpu time for buffers.

If you are compositing later on the pipeline, render out the buffers from kray. You can always make duplicate scene and render other buffers with a layout native render...(watch out for subdivisions and transparecy...)

I hope this helps,

Greetzzzz,

Fabian
sat

Re: Kray Buffers - render speed

Post by sat »

Hi Fabian, yes that is very informative. Thanks for your detailed answer.