Inverse Square Law for Lumipolys

Post your tutorials and help questions in this forum
khan973

Inverse Square Law for Lumipolys

Post by khan973 »

Hey,
I was wondering If somebody could script / create a node that would be able to apply Inverse Square law on a surface.
We would just need a distance parameter (or input) then, we can plug it to the Luminosity channel and get our lumipolys to react like Area lights.
Currently, I'm trying with Layer gradient.
khan973

Re: Inverse Square Law for Lumipolys

Post by khan973 »

That was a stupid thinking, it can't work as the surface isn't volumetric and remains in one particular distance...
But maybe all th other surfaces around could be affected by the luminosity of this lumipoly according to it's distance... Sounds more complicated and painful though
jure

Post by jure »

I think you can do this with nodes.

First try to match lumi poly intensity to Area light intensity at 1m/100%. Then add necessary controls to lumi poly luminosity channel. You could also hook it up with distance to object or anything else you want...

But ofcourse there are no controls for falloff type for lumi polygons. They will always behave realistically with inv^2 falloff.
- Jure
khan973

Post by khan973 »

That's exactly what I did, but it cannot work.
Light fallof in Lightwave can be controlled and it means that it evaluates how it affects objects based on the distance from the light center.
With lumipoly, I think you can't control that parameter unless you choose on each other surface how it's affected by the lumi surface based on their distance from the lumipoly's surface.
It seems to affect it linearly anyways

I tried to change the light intensity with the distance, but if I do so, the whole lumipoly surface will have one fixed value and will cast light linearly from that value.

There might be a way but it's probably beyond my understanding of nodes.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

As I posted in the other thread...

Luminous geometry ALWAYS has inverse square falloff. You can change this with nodes, though: use the spot info's 'ray length' or whatever it's called, plug it into a gradient or something.
khan973

Post by khan973 »

Aw really?
Cool man, that's a really good new!!! But how comes?
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

Basically, because luminous geometry are not LIGHTS, as such. Imagine if the moon was twice as close to the earth! It would appear four times bigger, and even though the surface would appear to be the same intensity, the increased size means that four times more light would reach you -- the total intensity would be quadrupled. Same thing with luminous geometry. If they're further away, they will appear 'smaller' to the surfaces being illuminated, and thusly cast less light on them.
khan973

Post by khan973 »

Thats makes a lot of sense to me :) it even appears to be really obvious. You haven't stolen you name!
brownie

Post by brownie »

I used to have so much difficulties to deal with fallof that I wouldn't claim for an addition in luminous sufaces as an option!
khan973

Post by khan973 »

You won't have to use it if you don't want to :)
steven444

Post by steven444 »

it seems to b inverse square law of difficulties
steven