Unexpected Exception!! for me too

Post your tutorials and help questions in this forum
except

Unexpected Exception!! for me too

Post by except »

I've been trying Kray off and on, and have been reasonably succesful... I made a test scene to compare it to Maxwell and Fprime, and was hoping it would compare favourably, and I am sure it will... except that... I get an Unexpected Exception...

It's a fairly complicated scene with a whole bunch of trees and so on, but I checked that there are no modeling errors, no one & 2 point polys, no stray nonsense... but it won't work...

What could cause this?
jure

Post by jure »

Hmm I'd say it's trees causing it... I've had this problem also but haven't been able to pin it down to specific reason yet. So if you could post your scene or try to find out what's causing it it'd be very helpful!

P.S. Or maybe Kray didn't expect you using the KRay.. hence Unexpected Exception! hehe ;)
- Jure
except

Post by except »

Could it be clipmaps?

Actually, now I start paying attention,
when processing the objects (you know, when Kray is just saying 54%.. etc, and you can see the objects flip by in the selection box at the bottom), it is an armchair crashing it... when removing the trees, it renders fine, but the trees make the armchair crash.

huu...
except

Post by except »

Ok... removed the armchair, now it completes to the end of the setup...
This time however, as soon as the 'octree' comes on, my screen garbles partially, I get another unexpected exception, and it exits.

Screenshot of funkyness attached. It returns to normal once Kray is closed.
Attachments
kray_crash.jpg
kray_crash.jpg (229.64 KiB) Viewed 6042 times
Single

Post by Single »

khmmm... 4 would advise for the beginning to renew driver to your video
silverlw

Post by silverlw »

I agree. There might be a trouble with Kray but your videodrivers must be checked.
except

Post by except »

This object caused the first unexpected exception.
There does not seem to be anything wrong with it (no stray points, double polygons, 2 point poly's). It's all triangles too.
It's from an architecture collection, so this object is used by and large.
It would be wise to take care of this bug in Kray...

I'll continue testing on the scene itself. I'll just have to render without this object, I can't seem to fix it.
Attachments
armchair_010.zip
(213.23 KiB) Downloaded 349 times
except

Post by except »

Scene crashes after Octree statement on another machine as well, but no screen funkyness. (maybe ati vs Nvidia)

Removed most of the conifers, now Kray starts rendering but comes up with "no memory for screen buffer". This is too bad because Fprime had no issues with the amount of memory necessary to render this image at 4096 x 2310.
erwin zwart

Post by erwin zwart »

except wrote:This object caused the first unexpected exception.
There does not seem to be anything wrong with it (no stray points, double polygons, 2 point poly's). It's all triangles too.
It's from an architecture collection, so this object is used by and large.
It would be wise to take care of this bug in Kray...

I'll continue testing on the scene itself. I'll just have to render without this object, I can't seem to fix it.
I can. I guess this was made/converted in LW9? I guess there is a subtile change in certain chunks of the LWO file that messes up kray, will report it to G.
I just did load it in LW8.5 and got "unexpected exception", then I tried Override Surfaces, this usually solves problems that stem from strange surface settings and shaders that kray can't handle. Still "unexpected exception".
Then I change surface to Default and it renders well.
After that I reassigned the original surfaces (still in Surface Editor) and it renders well. Strange, yes.
See attachment and try it without altering in LW9 and then save it as LW9 LWO to see if it messes up again.
Also, FPrime is not kray, kray is not FPrime, I use both.
I use several Nvidia's (but will switch to ATI next hardware upgrade), never had such gfx garbage.
Attachments
armchair_010EZ.zip
fixed object
(212.64 KiB) Downloaded 310 times
except

Post by except »

Why are you switching to Ati? Nothing but trouble... Ati's OpenGL drivers are just not on the same plane as Nvidia's... the offending machine is an Ati one, not Nvidia.

I'll try your object, thanks for that, and yes it was converted from OBJ to LWO in 9.
erwin zwart

Post by erwin zwart »

except wrote:Why are you switching to Ati? Nothing but trouble... Ati's OpenGL drivers are just not on the same plane as Nvidia's... the offending machine is an Ati one, not Nvidia.

I'll try your object, thanks for that, and yes it was converted from OBJ to LWO in 9.
I am aware of the problems ATI has as well, but Nvidia really lost me after buying their fastest GeForce's since they came out. My latest system has much problems coming from their Nforce4 SLI chipset and the 7800GTX drivers on a dualcore AMD64x2 system.
My testing of a certain realtime engine for LW showed me that I am on the worse of two evils now.
How did the test of the chair go? I would like to conclude this "bug" in kray.