Super dark scenes :x

Post your tutorials and help questions in this forum
larry_g1s

Super dark scenes :x

Post by larry_g1s »

I've gotta be doing something wrong. I cannot consistently get nicely lit scenes (one of the reasons why I'm looking forward to RV's next Pro. Arch. Viz). I even pulled in a scene I was working on in to Kahn's test scene (http://www.kraytracing.com/forum/viewto ... f=6&t=1677), and just by swapping out the models, mine is still sooo much darker (see attached images). I understand in his scene, the window allowing light in is larger in his scene then the one in my scene. But the amount of light doesn't seem proportionate. Any help would be much appreciated.
Attachments
dark scene_v001.zip
walls and cabinets to experiment if desired
(246.14 KiB) Downloaded 184 times
As you can see, the only real change on the scene aside from the model, is the window light is dropped down.
As you can see, the only real change on the scene aside from the model, is the window light is dropped down.
Larry V

Romans 1:16
For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is
the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes.
Janusz Biela

Re: Super dark scenes :x

Post by Janusz Biela »

:D move area to inside...
Pheidian

Post by Pheidian »

Yea:

Move area light inside, put these properties to the area light:

Inverse Distance^2, range = 5 meters
Intensity = 5-10% (see what works best)

Photon multiplier (motion options for light) = power multiplier = 3
joreldraw

Post by joreldraw »

Remove too windows glass to another layer and check unsee by rays.
jure

Post by jure »

Larry_g1s wrote:I've gotta be doing something wrong. I cannot consistently get nicely lit scenes (one of the reasons why I'm looking forward to RV's next Pro. Arch. Viz). I even pulled in a scene I was working on in to Kahn's test scene (http://www.kraytracing.com/forum/viewto ... f=6&t=1677), and just by swapping out the models, mine is still sooo much darker (see attached images). I understand in his scene, the window allowing light in is larger in his scene then the one in my scene. But the amount of light doesn't seem proportionate. Any help would be much appreciated.
It's simple:

Small window + weak light + dark surface == dark render

First make all your surfaces diffuse 100%, RGB 230. Move light to inside of the room and add some backdrop.
quick test
quick test
Attachments
larry_g1s.rar
scene
(74.74 KiB) Downloaded 192 times
- Jure
larry_g1s

Post by larry_g1s »

Thanks guys for the feedback. Yes, the suggestions definitely helped, so I appreciate the feedback. BUT...what do you do when your scene isn't going to have all ones surfaces at RGB 230? Meaning, I can get the level of brightness shown in your image Jure (which I like), but once I add textures, etc. the scene goes much dark again even if they're diffuse is set to 100%. What Ive done is put some area lights above, but is this how one would approach this?
Attachments
kray_render00001.jpg
Larry V

vpii

Post by vpii »

Wow, I saw your render and looks like the same layout of a kitchen remodel I did in my old house about 10 years ago.
1754Ktc.jpg
larry_g1s

Post by larry_g1s »

:shock: Whoa...Before I had a chance to read you post, I saw the image, and I was thinking..."he sure dressed up the scene fast", but then I thought, wait...I didn't include the appliances". lol This wasn't even something I came up, the design was sent from the client. Crazy
Larry V

jure

Post by jure »

Larry_g1s wrote:Thanks guys for the feedback. Yes, the suggestions definitely helped, so I appreciate the feedback. BUT...what do you do when your scene isn't going to have all ones surfaces at RGB 230? Meaning, I can get the level of brightness shown in your image Jure (which I like), but once I add textures, etc. the scene goes much dark again even if they're diffuse is set to 100%. What Ive done is put some area lights above, but is this how one would approach this?
In real world you would just increase exposure on the camera but this can blow out certain areas near light sources. So what you do is you increase light intensity and/or raise power a little bit. You can also use shaders on dark surfaces to fake more light bounce than there actually is...
- Jure
Pheidian

Post by Pheidian »

I just noticed, that you have windows / doors on the left side too (from the camera).

That means you need to add area lights there too, to produce the effect and light inside. You cannot achieve good light in the real world with that one window either...

Here's my 2 cents for it, 2 area lights, plus power multiplier in sun too...

Area lights are white and blueish, 5% and power 3.
Attachments
Larry00000.jpg