Ray precision and other samples

Post your tutorials and help questions in this forum
thomas

Ray precision and other samples

Post by thomas »

Hi there!

I've got a couple of questions about render globals settings because some stuff is not in the LW documentation:
1) Ray precision: what does this do, in what unit is it expressed and does it affect the Kray rendering engine?
2) Ray cutoff: I know what this does, but, in what unit is it expressed and does it affect the Kray rendering engine?
3) I know that the LW ray recursion limit is taken into account in Kray. Is there a way to set it higher than 64?
4) Shading samples: what does this do, and does it affect the Kray rendering engine?
5) Light samples: same question as number 4.

Thanks!
Thomas
Janusz Biela

Re: Ray precision and other samples

Post by Janusz Biela »

actually I do not know well LW native. Also each render engine has sometimes different names and values for same thinks.

--------------------------------------------------
thomas wrote:Hi there!

I've got a couple of questions about render globals settings because some stuff is not in the LW documentation:
1) Ray precision: what does this do, in what unit is it expressed and does it affect the Kray rendering engine?
It does not affect Kray engine because Kray has his own and this is overridden function. I am not sure, but I think in Kray this is call THRESHOLD (near zero less avoided samples)

thomas wrote:2) Ray cutoff: I know what this does, but, in what unit is it expressed and does it affect the Kray rendering engine?
It does not affect Kray engine because Kray has his own and this is overridden function. I think we do not have it in Kray GUI but in documentation is something:
wo2rayslimit

thomas wrote:3) I know that the LW ray recursion limit is taken into account in Kray. Is there a way to set it higher than 64?
Of course! Kray support up to 1000:

Code: Select all

recurse 1000
But is not necessary setup above 20.
thomas wrote:4) Shading samples: what does this do, and does it affect the Kray rendering engine?
It does not affect Kray engine because Kray has his own and this is overridden function. Kray has his own settings: min/max Rays. For example:
Area Light with threshold 0.001 + min/max rays 1/4 (standard good quality setting)
thomas wrote:5) Light samples: same question as number 4.

Thanks!
Thomas
It does not affect Kray engine because Kray has his own and this is overridden function. I think this is threshold.

Here, standard good quality for Kray according what you ask:
ScreenShot071.png
Generally from LW works only these options (they are important of course):
ScreenShot072.png
ScreenShot072.png (4.57 KiB) Viewed 2995 times
thomas

Post by thomas »

Hi Janusz,

Thanks again. One remark though: I'm doing renders with Kray recurse at 1000 now, and LW recursion at 6. This renders part of my bottle as black, so it seems that Kray does take LW's recursion limit into account.

For the record: I'm using DP's reflection and refraction shaders nodes today, so it might be that it is these nodes that take the LW ray recursion limit as input.
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

I suggest keep maximum recurse at 20. Also try not use 3-th part Nodes (DP). Only original LW Nodes.