Animation Rendering in Kray

Post your tutorials and help questions in this forum
jonathlee

Animation Rendering in Kray

Post by jonathlee »

I'm currently working on my first animation using KRay. I've been reading the Learning Page and most of the info there mentioning turning FG Passes to 1 when rendering sequence.

However, turning FG Passes to 1 makes the splotches and lights leak too appealing.
Any advice on the proper step by step to animation rendering on KRay plz?

If using FG Passes to 2, will it slow down the next frame rendering due to more samples collected?

Attached is the sample rendered:
Attachments
FG Passes 2 - Smoother
FG Passes 2 - Smoother
FG Passes 1 - Splotches and light leaks
FG Passes 1 - Splotches and light leaks
Janusz Biela

Re: Animation Rendering in Kray

Post by Janusz Biela »

jonathlee wrote:I'm currently working on my first animation using KRay. I've been reading the Learning Page and most of the info there mentioning turning FG Passes to 1 when rendering sequence.

However, turning FG Passes to 1 makes the splotches and lights leak too appealing.

If using FG Passes to 2, will it slow down the next frame rendering due to more samples collected?

Well You need knowledge how to do (in K3.0 I have plan to make one button setup for all procedures in animation case)
Here my Skype contact:
biela1972

Will explain how setup it. With i7 CPU You can render this scene and resolution under 1-2 min/frame...but of course with correct setup :wink:
ideart

Post by ideart »

Some advising would be helpful because I also have similar problems in various scenes that need to be animated.
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

ideart wrote:Some advising would be helpful because I also have similar problems in various scenes that need to be animated.
Yes animation are difficult to do, because for that You need understand some general and technical thinks . This is not problem with engine render. Kray has no problems with animation and actually is very stable and very clean...but for that is needed minimum knowledge how it`s work.
jnom

Post by jnom »

last part of the discussion is about kray animation.
http://www.kraytracing.com/joomla/forum ... c&start=30
Flicker was also my problem with moving objects up close in kray.
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

jnom wrote: Flicker was also my problem with moving objects up close in kray.
For this case (moving objects) You have two tools in Kray. Allow Animation and the best in my opinion option which ONLY KRAY HAS: Time interpolation.
jnom

Post by jnom »

Janusz Biela wrote:
jnom wrote: Flicker was also my problem with moving objects up close in kray.
For this case (moving objects) You have two tools in Kray. Allow Animation and the best in my opinion option which ONLY KRAY HAS: Time interpolation.
Afaik kray time interpolation is blending fg frames successively or set by user manually. Vray has this. But vray has animation prepass for problematic scenes which is better than this.
I don't understand the other thread that you can only use one computer. Fprime can render this in a network and have flicker free animation.
But I'll wait for kray scene that can render this flicker free with good speed. I want to test what is the good setting for this scene with moving objects.
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

Afaik kray time interpolation is blending fg frames successively or set by user manually. Vray has this. But vray has animation prepass for problematic scenes which is better than this.
This I did not know...but only blending mode (time interpolation) can be solution for that kind of scene . Is just impossible to create photon map non stop the same and this prepass from V-ray is just trick which allow You render all over network with small flickering which You not see (same as time interpolation which also have flickering, but You do not see it because is blended ). I will force Grzegorz to do this in Kray : Time interpolation by Newtork (because is no different one computer and network. All the time Photon Map is created from the beginning for each frame...so what is the reason to do it by network?...I think G, did not have time to do it. Problem is only how to communicate all render Nodes to swap information and make correct blend between frames...) Generally render animation in PM mode with moving lights and objects are very complicate but this is the fastest method to render animation with Final Gathering.
I don't understand the other thread that you can only use one computer. Fprime can render this in a network and have flicker free animation.
But I'll wait for kray scene that can render this flicker free with good speed. I want to test what is the good setting for this scene with moving objects.
Again : this is problem how setup this. Remember FPrime has no interpolation engine..I still do not understand idea of Fprime ...looks as hybrid Path Tracing and QMC because doesn`t exist phase of photons shooting , why GI looks good because this "dangerous" phase with shooting photons is done perhaps by Path Tracing (but I can be wrong :) )

here Your request :
http://www.kraytracing.com/joomla/forum ... &rb_v=file
jnom

Post by jnom »

Can you post lw scene from other thread? Lets take the discussion here about animation.
Animation prepass in vray is very very good. There is minimal flicker and because this is not bruteforce, it is fast. Sometimes you don't even need prepass just set to bruteforce +irridiance. Ofcourse this is cheat and not pure bruteforce nor time interp but gi is very stable per frame.
Arnold, octane, fprime use pure bruteforce which has no flicker but you get noise(acceptable easy to reduce in post) but you deal with longer render time compared to vray way. Lightwave bruteforce forget it, its too slow. I only use backdrop radiosity and mc with interp, acceptable flicker. Kray uncache from my experience is also slow because development has not focused on animation for kray. I will try to render your scene though if you can post it.
ideart

Post by ideart »

Janusz Biela wrote:
ideart wrote:Some advising would be helpful because I also have similar problems in various scenes that need to be animated.
Yes animation are difficult to do, because for that You need understand some general and technical thinks . This is not problem with engine render. Kray has no problems with animation and actually is very stable and very clean...but for that is needed minimum knowledge how it`s work.

By personal experience I wouldn't call it exactly stable in the animation area. I am trying to render 5 different simple scenes in 4 different pc's and Kray crashes frequently.
Kray is a nice fast tool for still images but maybe it shouldn't have to be that difficult with animations. Kray, Vray and all the other programs are useful tools that help us to create. Kray lacks in the area "from start to end" tutorials that we find so easy for Vray. This I think is quite intimidating for the average user who at the end of the day needs to get the job done and for that he will pick the tool that allows him to do it more easily .
sotto3d.com
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

By personal experience I wouldn't call it exactly stable in the animation area. I am trying to render 5 different simple scenes in 4 different pc's and Kray crashes frequently.

Upload this please. We check where is problem. Is impossible crash Kray with simple scenes ...also with very complex (I use Kray in animation with heavy scenes where are a lot of instances, 30-50 area lights and still nothing happen...) problem is sometimes with network...but not with render engine.
Kray lacks in the area "from start to end" tutorials that we find so easy for Vray. This I think is quite intimidating for the average user who at the end of the day needs to get the job done and for that he will pick the tool that allows him to do it more easily .
I agree (personally I use V-ray tutorials :) ) But everything will come with K3.0.
jure

Post by jure »

jonathlee wrote:I'm currently working on my first animation using KRay. I've been reading the Learning Page and most of the info there mentioning turning FG Passes to 1 when rendering sequence.

You can use more than one pass but set the frame step high enough so that your FG samples don't duplicate frame to frame.
- Jure
ideart

Post by ideart »

Janusz Biela wrote:

Upload this please. We check where is problem. Is impossible crash Kray with simple scenes ...also with very complex (I use Kray in animation with heavy scenes where are a lot of instances, 30-50 area lights and still nothing happen...) problem is sometimes with network...but not with render engine.

I wish I could but unfortunately I am not allowed to because the animated products are modeled using copyrighted technical drawings.
sotto3d.com
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

I wish I could but unfortunately I am not allowed to because the animated products are modeled using copyrighted technical drawings.

Generally when is problem please send fast scene or better contact via Skype. because sometimes are "hidden" bugs which are hard to find (they are random or have rare case...) The most basic scene then better .
ideart

Post by ideart »

Janusz Biela wrote:

Generally when is problem please send fast scene or better contact via Skype. because sometimes are "hidden" bugs which are hard to find (they are random or have rare case...) The most basic scene then better .
Thanks. To be honest the scenes I am trying to render are quite basic interiors but at some point I cut and dissolve the main product so I can show technical intersections. Soon I hope to post some tests in the gallery area.
sotto3d.com