Mac vs PC

General disscusion about Kray
antoniomitalia

Mac vs PC

Post by antoniomitalia »

Hi everybody, I've got lot of crashes on my MacPro 2 x 2,4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 6GB 1066 MHz DDR3, i mean, it's not the most powerful mac at the moment, but it's a big machine (with OSX 10.7.5) and scenes are really simple...

I'm running a demo version of Ligtwave (11) + demo version of Kray (2.4). If I switch to an installation of Windows I've got over Parallels, all works fine, but render times are sooo bigger.

I'm planning to go deeper with Kray, so my questions are: is really Kray more "unstable" under OSX? if you were to buy a new computer to work with Kray, what will you choose, Apple or PC ?

Thank you all!
jure

Re: Mac vs PC

Post by jure »

It is more unstable from what I've heard. Problem is we don't have enough mac users beta testing and reporting bugs... Also there used to be a lot more issues on lightwave mac platform than on windows and that translates into Kray problems later on...
- Jure
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

antoniomitalia wrote:
I'm planning to go deeper with Kray, so my questions are: is really Kray more "unstable" under OSX? if you were to buy a new computer to work with Kray, what will you choose, Apple or PC ?

Thank you all!
My personal seriously advice:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... BozgtIUQZA

CPU:
http://ark.intel.com/products/64583/Int ... -Intel-QPI

And real score from this:
http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_ ... e5-2687w/7

...and seriously this is destination professional hardware :) I have i7 and my score is 8.5 ...3 times less then this dual Xeon :!: You can even use this hardware for animation render (even for 720p because with good optimization You will receive around 5 min/frame time render with good quality)
antoniomitalia

Post by antoniomitalia »

Thanks Janusz for your recommendations, I will think seriously on the jump.
I´ve been working on the graphic design and photography industry since ´98 and an Apple was an irreplaceable workmate for me, from the classic G3, late a G4, a Powerbook, an iMac 24, and finally this MacPro have passed by my hands.

I start playing with lightwave since my G3, 12 years ago, but in "periods of weeks" cause render unstability was always a common topic. Modeling and texturing are of course equal than PC, but every time I was playing with advanced illumination and rendering, LW under OSX started crashing... it was frustrating! Not to mention the lack of resources (compared to Max) to learn and reach good interior/exterior renders. I had met lot of mates that were having better results with PC+Vray in a few months from zero than I was ever reached with Apple+LW in years of experience.

Sincerely, Janusz, the discovering of Kray was like a ray of divine light for me, I recover enthusiasm on LW and since its not my full time dedication, I'm spending hours on it like never before (even with the crashes!). Some clients from my graphic studio are becoming interested on renders, so I think it's the moment to buy some serious render machine, thanks again for the suggestions.

In other order of things guys from Kray, if you are interested on a Mac tester, here is a volunteer with a MacPro 2 x 2,4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 6GB 1066 MHz ready to go on! :P