What improvements would you like to see in Kray next?

General disscusion about Kray

What improvements would you like to see in Kray the most?

Better/faster GI rendering
20%
Better network rendering
4%
Displacements
15%
Better Instancing
10%
GPU rendering
14%
Better integration with LightWave
9%
Improvements to Physical Sky
9%
Better motion blur and DOF
3%
Better Antialiasing
13%
Buffers improvement
3%

Total votes: 392

matt gorner

Re: What improvements would you like to see in Kray next?

Post by matt gorner »

One thing not on the list I would love to see is Kray being more tolerant with crappy geometry, often imported stuff from CAD programs that is too much work to clean up can cause Kray to balk, whereas LW, FPrime and modo all seem fine with it.
Alexos

Post by Alexos »

matt gorner wrote:One thing not on the list I would love to see is Kray being more tolerant with crappy geometry, often imported stuff from CAD programs that is too much work to clean up can cause Kray to balk, whereas LW, FPrime and modo all seem fine with it.
A very emphatic +1 to that!

ADP.
geo_n

Post by geo_n »

What is the target market for kray next?
The render engine is good as it is. But imho the biggest improvement would be those matt,alpha settings and render buffers, which seem to be the least voted :mrgreen: . You might see renders other than archiviz for kray if you can support those two for lw.
I can post vray animations we did that can't be done in kray because of those missing features and lw can't do it because its not really as fast for gi animation like vray. The only renderer that can do it for lw is fprime with monte carlo.
erwin zwart

Post by erwin zwart »

geo_n wrote:What is the target market for kray next?
The render engine is good as it is. But imho the biggest improvement would be those matt,alpha settings and render buffers, which seem to be the least voted :mrgreen: . You might see renders other than archiviz for kray if you can support those two for lw.
I can post vray animations we did that can't be done in kray because of those missing features and lw can't do it because its not really as fast for gi animation like vray. The only renderer that can do it for lw is fprime with monte carlo.
fully agree, very interested in what were the exact problems in your project.
Anyway FPrime is not an option these days anymore because of the missing instances.
geo_n

Post by geo_n »

this kind of render requires matt and alpha settings to be fully supported and also in the buffers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv2eSfXgqh8
turbulence 4d will render in kray but its useless because you cant get a matt object with the fire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-uXwM4kbyg
its not perfect but we can do this with little time using biped and mocap and vray. Irridiance cache and brute force is very fast in vray. No flicker like fprime. The lighting and scene elements would be rendered out in passes. There's light exclusion, light addition for some objects to get the look. Sometimes face is not well lit so you add some lights but don't want to affect other elements. Render buffers are important ofcourse.
I'm trying to do this kind of project using lightwave and maestro but without certain features its not possible in kray.
vashts

Post by vashts »

Buffers, buffers, buffers.
And maybe a render-pass manager. I know, I'm dreaming. :D
brendar7639

Post by brendar7639 »

Thanks you for the post.
Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

vashts wrote:Buffers, buffers, buffers.
And maybe a render-pass manager. I know, I'm dreaming. :D
It is not dreaming, everything need time and time.
All feauters will be in Kray (it easy make all, but NOT EASY make working perfect and fast: for example Instance and blur in Kray - this is perfect...but this has great idea from Grzegorz) It is many engine renders on the World, but working perfect, fast is a few...
Just be patient... 8)
matt gorner

Post by matt gorner »

As well as being more tolerant, stability is the other issue. Maybe it's just me, but I manage to crash Kray far too often when just playing with the settings, because of this I've stopped using it, it's a real shame, Kray is clearly a great engine, and I really wanted to use Kray on real jobs much more often, but I simply can't trust it not to crash. As I said, maybe it's just me and my geometry, who knows, but I've gone back to LW's native renderer now.
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

matt gorner wrote:As well as being more tolerant, stability is the other issue. Maybe it's just me, but I manage to crash Kray far too often when just playing with the settings, because of this I've stopped using it, it's a real shame, Kray is clearly a great engine, and I really wanted to use Kray on real jobs much more often, but I simply can't trust it not to crash. As I said, maybe it's just me and my geometry, who knows, but I've gone back to LW's native renderer now.
I have not totally crashes, Kray is incredibly stable now...so ?
Tartiflette

Post by Tartiflette »

Johny_quick wrote:I have not totally crashes, Kray is incredibly stable now...so ?
No crash for me either, Kray is incredibly stable in LightWave 64bit on Mac OS X.
If only i could have AO helping, as in LW, to balance the lack of detail and contact shadows when rendering at very low GI resolution, it would be perfect.
And of course a better AA, as it is probably the most needed feature for me.

Cheers,
Laurent aka Tartiflette :)
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

Tartiflette wrote:
Johny_quick wrote:I have not totally crashes, Kray is incredibly stable now...so ?
No crash for me either, Kray is incredibly stable in LightWave 64bit on Mac OS X.
If only i could have AO helping, as in LW, to balance the lack of detail and contact shadows when rendering at very low GI resolution, it would be perfect.
And of course a better AA, as it is probably the most needed feature for me.

Cheers,

We work for new Engine update (better detection for small objects, faster GI on small objects, etc) so please wait this need time. Also real Displacement (I can`t wait for trees barks with Real Bump :idea:.... ) and new Instance from textures (my grass in one click and super realistic random leafs).
So...everything is before as 8)
Tartiflette

Post by Tartiflette »

No worries, i can wait ! :)
Even more since Kray is already, as it is, a fabulous render engine, (very) fast, quite simple to understand and get great results (thanks to all the guys involved here for the tutorials, te scene files and the documentation !) and already well integrated within LightWave. 8)

So all the things that will make it better will be welcome, but in the meantime it's a great render engine as it is, worth every penny i've invested in it ! :D

Cheers,
Alexos

Post by Alexos »

GPU rendering gets the majority of votes, but is that even remotely possible? I mean, K-ray doesn't seem to have access to Layout's viewports, so unless the boys come up with some kind of Fprime-like miracle it doesn't seem very likely to me. And besides - I know GPU rendering is being hailed as the Holy Grail of 3D, but the technology seems hardly mature enough for anything more than previewing of rather simple scenes. I mean yeah, wow, hundreds of teapot instances almost in real-time, empty interiors walkthroughs... but I don't do teapots and my clients usually want their interiors furnished, for some reason.
What am I missing here?

ADP.
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

Alexos wrote:GPU rendering gets the majority of votes, but is that even remotely possible? I mean, K-ray doesn't seem to have access to Layout's viewports, so unless the boys come up with some kind of Fprime-like miracle it doesn't seem very likely to me. And besides - I know GPU rendering is being hailed as the Holy Grail of 3D, but the technology seems hardly mature enough for anything more than previewing of rather simple scenes. I mean yeah, wow, hundreds of teapot instances almost in real-time, empty interiors walkthroughs... but I don't do teapots and my clients usually want their interiors furnished, for some reason.
What am I missing here?

ADP.
About Real Time Engine Render. It is tru: this is difficult to do, becouse Photon Maping is kind engine render when You shot photons before render (sometimes 2 min for big scenes) so...it is very dificult make real time engine render with Photons mapping (becouse when You move for example source of light, You have to shot photons AGAIN!) Nobody made it (maybe Grzegorz will be the first :D , rememmber: V-ray, FPrime etc, are renders engines without PHOTON MAPPING renders!, they are something between, with many limits....) I think theoretically it is possible , but need great idea how connect in code engine: moving sources of light with positions of photons and informations inside photons...this need great idea code how connect all informations without los time render (we need real time render engine with refreshing every second, not every 1 min... :lol: , without big interpolation noise)...That is my point of view :idea: