VRay Realtime rendering

General disscusion about Kray
larry_g1s

VRay Realtime rendering

Post by larry_g1s »

I guess The chaosgroup has just announced realtime rendering for Vray, looks much along the lines of fPrime. Once there is a stable full version of Kray, this would be an amazing addition to Kray. This feature is one of the main reasons I still love & use fPrime. What do you think G.? :D

http://www.chaosgroup.com/forums/vbulle ... ostcount=2
Larry V

Romans 1:16
For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is
the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes.
larry_g1s

Post by larry_g1s »

Direct link to the videos:

Teapots Video

Car Video

Living Room Video

Just an aside, this is not a Vray praise, I'm really enjoying Kray. My hope, like many of yours, is that Kray would be to LW what Vray is to 3DSmax. [/url]
Larry V

jure

Post by jure »

Cool stuff. But we have all that already in Fprime. It doesn't seem to bring anything more...
- Jure
larry_g1s

Post by larry_g1s »

jure wrote:Cool stuff. But we have all that already in Fprime. It doesn't seem to bring anything more...
It's "more" in the sense of you have the best of both Kray & FPrime together. That's why I was saying I'd love to see this feature eventually in Kray.

I've had fPrime for years now, and I'm really enjoying learning Kray, & seeing what it can do from other users. But one thing I miss when using it, is the ability to see real-time lighting & texture changes like when I use fPrime. I'd really like to see an integration of the two, not literally, just feature wise.
Larry V

jure

Post by jure »

I think Vray RT will be sold as stand alone and won't be included in standard Vray package.

But yes I know what you mean. If G. was to develop something similar it wouldn't work much different from Fprime, so I don't think there would be much gain if you have Fprime already.
- Jure
larry_g1s

Post by larry_g1s »

jure wrote:I think Vray RT will be sold as stand alone and won't be included in standard Vray package.

But yes I know what you mean. If G. was to develop something similar it wouldn't work much different from Fprime, so I don't think there would be much gain if you have Fprime already.
There would be a huge gain! Have you ever tried to see what your Kray lighting set up look like with fPrime? Completely different, extremely dark. The lighting rig seems to be much much different, which is the great thing about Kray. So to have real-time preview in Kray would be fantastic, because you'd get to see what that lighting set up looks like in a more real-time setting.
Larry V

Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

Juggernaut wrote:
jure wrote:Have you ever tried to see what your Kray lighting set up look like with fPrime? Completely different, extremely dark.
This is largely because of gamma correction.
larry_g1s

Post by larry_g1s »

Captain Obvious wrote:
Juggernaut wrote:
jure wrote:Have you ever tried to see what your Kray lighting set up look like with fPrime? Completely different, extremely dark.
This is largely because of gamma correction.
Not following you, is that something that needs to be set up differently using FPrime, or is it somethng already on Kray's end?
Larry V

_mats_

Post by _mats_ »

Yes it due to the gamma in most cases, I use Kray's tonemapping with pretty high settings.

What I do is compensate by going from 100% to 300% or 400% in the radiosity tab in Fprime, its not perfect, but definitely usable and I know what its going to look like in Kray, but if at some point this is built into Kray I would not complain ! :D

Matt -
except

Post by except »

It's gamma, but also the amount of bounces Kray does by default.
acidarrow

Post by acidarrow »

If Worley supported tonemapping it would be great.
jure

Post by jure »

Yes it's gamma and bounces... Try >5 bounces in Fprime and add it 1.6-2.2 gamma adjustment in the end.. You'll end up with pretty similar result.
- Jure
_mats_

Post by _mats_ »

yeah forgot to mention I add the bounces up like crazy in Fprime too, and radiosity to 200% or 300% does the trick for most of my scenes, and it looks very close, definitely workable

Matt -
larry_g1s

Post by larry_g1s »

jure wrote:Yes it's gamma and bounces... Try >5 bounces in Fprime and add it 1.6-2.2 gamma adjustment in the end.. You'll end up with pretty similar result.
Where do you adjust the gamma (i.e. "1.6-2.2 gamma") for fPrime?

Because this would be great. I could still use FPrime for interior previews & textures, & final render in Kray. I'd love it Kray had all this built in, but this is workable, thanks everyone.
Larry V

jure

Post by jure »

You can't.

You must do it in post.
- Jure