Kray on an 8 core computer

General disscusion about Kray
_mats_

Kray on an 8 core computer

Post by _mats_ »

Hello -

Has anyone tried Kray on an 8 core machine? I am going to start an arch anim. project and thinking of splitting some scenes on different CPU's since unfortunately we do not have network rendering yet.

My question is, will Kray use the 8 cores (does it scale well for multithreading?) or will there be too much of a diminishing returns in processing speed compared to a quad core machine?

Thanks,

Matt -
Haven1000

Re: Kray on an 8 core computer

Post by Haven1000 »

_mats_ wrote:Hello -

Has anyone tried Kray on an 8 core machine? I am going to start an arch anim. project and thinking of splitting some scenes on different CPU's since unfortunately we do not have network rendering yet.

My question is, will Kray use the 8 cores (does it scale well for multithreading?) or will there be too much of a diminishing returns in processing speed compared to a quad core machine?

Thanks,

Matt -
Kray can handle up-to 128 threads, so it shouldn't have a problem with 8. I've not tried it yet though but can wait for the day I can (the 128 threads that is :lol: )
NiGMa

Post by NiGMa »

I use a 4-core at work and kray handles it well, doesn't let it idle, 100% all the time! so i imagine 8-core would be no different, but you'll have to get windows 2003 server to run 8 cores right?
Haven1000

Post by Haven1000 »

NiGMa wrote:I use a 4-core at work and kray handles it well, doesn't let it idle, 100% all the time! so i imagine 8-core would be no different, but you'll have to get windows 2003 server to run 8 cores right?
Or use Mac OSX, built for multi-threading :wink:

I believe that XP is pretty poor on the multi-threading but Vista does a better job, but that opens a whole new can of worms!
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

Haven1000 wrote:
NiGMa wrote:I believe that XP is pretty poor on the multi-threading but Vista does a better job, but that opens a whole new can of worms!
Windows isn't bad at multi-threading. It's just a myth. It's bad at multi-tasking.
Haven1000

Post by Haven1000 »

Captain Obvious wrote: Windows isn't bad at multi-threading. It's just a myth. It's bad at multi-tasking.
yes this is true, my bad.

Multithreading, Superthreading, Hyperthreading and Multi-tasking, it all can become too confusing. :oops:

OT: My personal experience of using both OS's for multi-'tasking' is OSX is better at prioritizing apps making it a joy to work with.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

OT: My personal experience of using both OS's for multi-'tasking' is OSX is better at prioritizing apps making it a joy to work with.
Ain't that the truth. When I'm rendering on my quad-core Intel workstation, the thing goes so unrespive that it takes about ten seconds to open new Explorer Windows, and Outlook freezes until I either cancel the render or turn down the priority of the renderer. It's such a pain in the ass.

And don't get me started on what happens when I try to leave Photoshop running while I'm working in Lightwave...

I've never had issues like this on a Mac or Linux machine; only on Windows ones.
Macdoggie_forum

Post by Macdoggie_forum »

Gotta admit, I am so there.

I often work simultaniously in Photoshop Illustrator and Modeler (No hub though, the hub is EVIL) all while rendering and no loss of performance.. I don't really like bashing platforms too much (a rather nasty business you know) as I work on both and have had the pleasure of sitting at some very admirable wintel boxes. I just personally prefer the Mac.

Hey Captain Obvious, got your post on the other thread pertaining to this very topic. Thanks for the feedback and since we will begetting our spanky new quad core this January after the Keynote, I am looking forward to it. I am using one at work and it is a solid rocker and we're not talking any wee beastie here!

Cheers
TrueArt Support

Post by TrueArt Support »

Captain Obvious wrote: Ain't that the truth. When I'm rendering on my quad-core Intel workstation, the thing goes so unrespive that it takes about ten seconds to open new Explorer Windows, and Outlook freezes until I either cancel the render or turn down the priority of the renderer. It's such a pain in the ass.
As long as it's LightWave renderer, or Kray run on VirtualRender you can use our free Global* Layout Master Render Optimizer and use Priority Lower. As long as there is enough memory and virtual memory swapping is not in progress, I can do whatever on laptop which is rendering..

*) run once after adding plug-in to LW. Then it's forever active, each Layout start.
VirtualRender http://virtualrender.trueart.eu
Run Kray on your renderfarm in super hi-res!