Questions from a potential new user

General disscusion about Kray
trick

Questions from a potential new user

Post by trick »

I am very interested in using KRay but first have some questions:

- Do the base objects for instancing have to be (and stay) loaded in LW ? Is there no external format (like VRay proxies) that can be loaded at rendertime on demand ?
- Is there a shader or another way to randomly color instances (like the HDInstance shader for the HD-Instance plugin) ?
- If not currently possible: can such features still be implemented for v2 or is this s.th.for v3 ?

Thanks
trick

Re: Questions from a potential new user

Post by trick »

Very weird nobody is not interested in or in need of this...
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

trick wrote:Very weird nobody is not interested in or in need of this...
No is OK but Jure is no On-line long.....
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

trick wrote:I am very interested in using KRay but first have some questions:

- Do the base objects for instancing have to be (and stay) loaded in LW ? Is there no external format (like VRay proxies) that can be loaded at rendertime on demand ?
- Is there a shader or another way to randomly color instances (like the HDInstance shader for the HD-Instance plugin) ?
- If not currently possible: can such features still be implemented for v2 or is this s.th.for v3 ?

Thanks
Fast:

- Instance is very easy, You don`t need any external tool (in future G. maybe make special plugin too see body Instances - now You must use only NULL points. info abount another external tool : http://veggipaint.walen.se/

- we can recive all features, just G. need proposal from as. But now in this point we have all features like V-ray (without real displacement, fur generator)

For details wait for Jure when back.
Pavlov

Post by Pavlov »

Hi,
well:

- yes, by now the object must be loaded. It's not excluded this could change in the future to go proxy direction.
- Yes, you can color instances randomly.

Paolo
trick

Post by trick »

Thanks for the info.

So it is out of the question to have some 1M+ poly trees as base object, without having huge amounts of RAM ?

Is the random instance coloring done with a shader ? Are there any examples renderings ?
The only thing I can see in the WIKI is that instances can be filtered with some sort of template object. There is no mention of this on the forum either !
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

trick wrote:Thanks for the info.

So it is out of the question to have some 1M+ poly trees as base object, without having huge amounts of RAM ?

Is the random instance coloring done with a shader ? Are there any examples renderings ?
The only thing I can see in the WIKI is that instances can be filtered with some sort of template object. There is no mention of this on the forum either !
You can render big scenes Instance on 2-4 Giga RAM (I have 8 Giga RAM and my exteriors have minimum 5.000.000.000 poly, when render this scenes I have yet around 3-4 Giga free RAM.... )

This is small example of Instance: (if You need colours transport You must transform points to poly in Modeler)
http://www.kraytracing.com/forum/viewto ... =10&t=1446

btw: Instance in Kray is the bigest POWERFULL tool (if You can use this You can all....)
trick

Post by trick »

Johny_quick wrote:You can render big scenes Instance on 2-4 Giga RAM (I have 8 Giga RAM and my exteriors have minimum 5.000.000.000 poly, when render this scenes I have yet around 3-4 Giga free RAM.... )...
Yes, of course. But how many base objects do you have loaded, and how many poly are they ? There is a big difference rendering 2 instances of a 2.500.000.000 poly base object (on which LW will probably crash before loading, let alone that it can be modeled in Modeler) or 5.000.000 instances of a 1000 poly base object.
Johny_quick wrote:...This is small example of Instance: (if You need colours transport You must transform points to poly in Modeler)...
So you are saying that if you convert points to 1 point polygons which all have a different color, the instance that is generated on that point is tinted by the color of that same point ?
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

Yes, of course. But how many base objects do you have loaded, and how many poly are they ? There is a big difference rendering 2 instances of a 2.500.000.000 poly base object (on which LW will probably crash before loading, let alone that it can be modeled in Modeler) or 5.000.000 instances of a 1000 poly base object.
For example my last exterior (small instance):
1 big tree (250.000 poly) cloned 20 times
1 big bush (100.000 poly) cloned 10 times
1 small bush (20.000 poly) cloned 50 times
1 small bush long grass (1000 poly) cloned 100 times
1 small normal grass (10.000 poly) cloned 20.000 times
difference flowers cloned 20-100 times

So you are saying that if you convert points to 1 point polygons which all have a different color, the instance that is generated on that point is tinted by the color of that same point ?
Just convert group of points to poly put on this normal texture from Y direction (grass texture, stones) after that instance getting colour info from this points (one instance from one point,, and ofcoarse You must select this option from instance shader) bigger count point bigger probe colours....
trick

Post by trick »

Thanks, that clarifies a lot :D :D
jure

Post by jure »

trick wrote:I am very interested in using KRay but first have some questions:

Yes, for now it works this way - instances need to be loaded in Layout so you can select them in KrayInstances plugin. In future we may change this to optimize memory usage.
- Jure
trick

Post by trick »

jure wrote:
trick wrote:...In future we may change this to optimize memory usage.
I hope soon. Even with HDInstance, that is very light on memory, you are limited on the number/size of the base objects, to what Lightwave itself can handle. The same goes for Max, loading some 20 pieces of a 1 million poly tree is not an option in a fully loaded arch.viz project. With VRay proxies this is not a problem.

Of course the projects that require this are rather rare, but it is comforting to know it is possible !