Stupid but useful question

Post your tutorials and help questions in this forum
khan973_forum

Stupid but useful question

Post by khan973_forum »

Hi everyone, I'm not a hardcore Kray user, but I would like to use it more and I face some problems.
I understand the concept of using reflections + blur instead of speculars but when it comes to fabrics, or matte surfaces like plaster, concrete, how do you manage it???
I've been forced to use speculars in those cases because I had shiny unwanted look even with high reflection blur.
Your help and experience would be much appreciated.
Janusz Biela

Re: Stupid but useful question

Post by Janusz Biela »

khan973 wrote:Hi everyone, I'm not a hardcore Kray user, but I would like to use it more and I face some problems.
I understand the concept of using reflections + blur instead of speculars but when it comes to fabrics, or matte surfaces like plaster, concrete, how do you manage it???
I've been forced to use speculars in those cases because I had shiny unwanted look even with high reflection blur.

Of coarse some concrete have reflection and You can use small reflection (best is incidental angle) + small blurr (small becouse concrete have bumb) . Don`t worry abount speed, if You use small reflection and small blurr (around relection 10%, blurr 10%) You don`t see big difference in speed render and recived realistic material. Personaly I never use Specular (last time maybe 2 yers ago...) becouse in real word You don`t have it - specular is only computer tric to simulate blurr, but You have now fast computer ...and the faster blurr on the world from Kray....
Please remember : all surfaces have reflection and blurr (of coarse some surfaces have small reflection and are nonsense use it in renders becouse You don`t see this in render)
If You need realistic concrete You can use bump map and reflection map with Alpha Incidental Angle + small blurr (2-5%). Why incidental? Becouse in 90 angle deg. some concretes have high reflection (sometimes over 50% reflections)
khan973_forum

Post by khan973_forum »

Thank you, I'll try it.
jure

Post by jure »

khan973 wrote:Hi everyone, I'm not a hardcore Kray user, but I would like to use it more and I face some problems.
For plaster walls I don't use reflection or specular unless they are realy polished. Then I use incidence angle on the reflection. Good bump map can help a lot to make it realistic looking. Concrete usualy has more reflection due to more even surface on which you can put bump map to simulate small dents like johny said...
- Jure