9.5 OB is out, but Kray doesn't work with it! :(

General disscusion about Kray
dballesg_forum

9.5 OB is out, but Kray doesn't work with it! :(

Post by dballesg_forum »

HI,

I just installed the LW 9.5 OB only to discover the ctual Kray doesn't work with it, it gives an error about the LWS format.

When we can expect tht new Kray beta tht works with 9.5?

I know for sure G hs been working with the new SDK from some time.

Best regards,
David
walfridson

Post by walfridson »

Just use "save as 9.2 scene" untill fix
skype walfridson
dballesg_forum

Post by dballesg_forum »

Hi,

The point it is not export to a 9.2 scene and render on 9.2 or 9.3.1.

It is test as well what it is working and what itsn't.

Aside I think it is time we can try the improved node support.

I do not cre much more about Skyportals at this time, so I think G can post a version with the improved node support.

David
silverlw

Post by silverlw »

As usual Newtek have made changes we need to adopt to but please relax at least until 9.5 is officially out, it's beta.

A word about nodes. Making Kray rendering nodes is actually very simple but just rendering them is not enough. We do our best to make them as compatible as possible and also able to send and receive photons/caustics which is the tricky part.
dballesg_forum

Post by dballesg_forum »

Hi Silver,

I knew Newtek made changes, in fact we saw it when G slipped that OB 6.5 that didn't worked with volumetrics because he used a newer sdk.

But you must understand that at this point it is almost frustrating at least for me use Kray. I prefer not count the number of Unexpected Exceptions errors I get working with nodes or without them

This morning trying a negative bump UV map, gave it to me, simply because the Texture Value was .25. Followed by Kray rendering in ScanColumn order even when on the options was Scanline. That was with Kray 64 bits.

The number of times that you change something on a texture (that will not affect the render so much), and kray render it on a completely different and unexpected way. And that it is using it on a Quad with 8Gb.

The octree telling me on the same scene that a level of 800 it is still low?

And I can keep saying things that or doesn't work, or appear randomly, and cannot be posted really as bugs, because I do not find a reliable way to reproduce them.

David
Macdoggie_forum

Post by Macdoggie_forum »

Unfortunately, there are a lot of settings to keep up with and the manual is not really that insightful. it also appears that quality output is the personal domain of a select few. Some of my questions have gone unanswered, no biggie but I have noticed that others are getting vague answers when more detail would be more than helpful. If I am in error here, please accept my most heartfelt apology.

But Please try to understand where I am coming from. We need more sharing of info on this forum. I have worked with other software and while i am really excited by the prospect of Kray. The one thing that seems to be lacking is real interaction between the users. Which for a small development company is it's biggest asset. Consider Newtek, a very small company in rescources comapred to Ailias Wavefront or Auto Desk (which are one in the same now) which posess vast rescources. One of the things that impressed me right off the bat after I started using LW was the willingness of it's user community to share info and offer advise. Creating useable documentation is a science unto it's self and being a very creative devloper does not necessarily mean that he (or she) will be necessarily good at this. Especially in the beta stage where things are shifting ,in some cases an a daily basis. That being said our advanced users IMO should be offering assistance and or advice to those who don't yet know the idiosycrasies of thes wonderful tools.

As to the nodes thing, that is a question I was wanting to throw out. Are any of the advaced Kray users even using nodes?? dballesg, it sems based on your post that nodes aren't supported? I suppose that is what it means when the manual states "

"Not yet supported features

[needs update when we're closer to release]

Although Kray supports many of Lightwave features there certain are limitations in Lightwave SDK that prevents Kray to access some features. This include:

surface editor shaders

image/pixel filters"

I personally like the nodal shaders but am not married to them. As a matter of fact at most studios I have worked at there were only one or two people who just had to have nodes. You can still do great stuff with the standard layering texture system.
LW's solution (radiosity is a bit more simple to set up but I am saying that primarily because I am familiar with it. Thanks to the other users who were kind or patient enough to offer advice and or share settings as well as scenes. I am fairly comfortable as well as proficeint with it.

I have seen some scenes that have been made available which were very helpful. Now I just need answers to issues that I don't understand. I do realise that these issues may seem trite to someone who already knows them but a bit of patience goes a long way. Presets are also a great place to start. It works with the LW community. There is no reson why it can't work here. There is sooo much potential with these tools here. Kray, IMO is LW's answer to V-Ray!

Oh well, Onward through the fog!!

Cheers
dballesg_forum

Post by dballesg_forum »

Hi,

As I said I am not touching Kray very much. In fact because I am waiting for Grezgorz to fix the problems with the displacements of instances for example.

Kray WORKS with nodes. Not all of them for my experience, but a good bunch of them works. And from other thread I remember Silverlw said that make them work was one of the priorities I think.

David
jure

Post by jure »

Some nodes work indeed yes, but many still don't.

Soon one whole OB will be dedicated solely to node bugfixes. We plan to make full compatibility with nodes then. Untill then I advise you to use classic surfacing methods.

Macdoggie:

We do our best to answer all questions as best as we can but sometimes some just slip through. I see good interaction between users here on forum but you can't expect it to be as good as on newtek since this forum has only 400 members so far...

Please feel free to open new topics about things that give you problems and we'll do our best to help you as much as we can....
- Jure
Macdoggie_forum

Post by Macdoggie_forum »

jure wrote:Some nodes work indeed yes, but many still don't.

Soon one whole OB will be dedicated solely to node bugfixes. We plan to make full compatibility with nodes then. Untill then I advise you to use classic surfacing methods.
Yeah, the nodes in LW are also still a work in progress lots of power once you get used to it. Still though you can get by just fine with the standard surfacing tools till then.
jure wrote:Macdoggie:

We do our best to answer all questions as best as we can but sometimes some just slip through. I see good interaction between users here on forum but you can't expect it to be as good as on newtek since this forum has only 400 members so far...

Please feel free to open new topics about things that give you problems and we'll do our best to help you as much as we can....
Thanks for the re-assuring message I have been struggling with trying to set up an interior shot but have only achieved limited results. I know these tools work I am not quite yet proficient with them yet becuse I haven't quite got the hang of it yet. If it's possible, perhaps you could take a look at my scene and give me an idea what I am doing wrong..... I can put the scene together but it is 7 megs (zipped) Please don't get me wrong I love the stuff I have seen done with Kray and intend on using Kray when I need to take it further than what I can do in LW. Please pardon my frustration and I will try to be more patient....

Cheers