Kray frustration - help!

Post your tutorials and help questions in this forum
Pheidian

Post by Pheidian »

Your windows SHOULD be enough for lightning that room. Basically what I would do, is NOT tweak any surface additive options etc, that's faking the light's transportation and can cause seriously bad results...

Have you tried applying luminous polygons behind the windows (like area lights in fprime), adding them a luminosity of 1000%, and then playing around with recurse settings (10 is good, but 30 will give you more much more light).

Having play around with kray shader indirect rays, where you can use limit dr option for not having blown out white near the luminosity panel, but still remaining the full light other places in the room...

Can pump up the luminosity up to 20000 or more depending on size of the luminosity object and light you want to achieve...

I gotta give this a try also at some point when not rendering any commercial stuff...

Also don't delete any walls etc to fake the light... That's a bad way also to fake it. Also the upcoming skyportals may help you, but the basics should be together before using the advanced tools...

I'll try to do some image for this for you when I have the time.
larry_g1s

Post by larry_g1s »

I've attached an updated image. Not perfect, but I'm liking the results much better. No post was done, straight Kray render. Basically what I did is add some area lights as fill lights by the windows closes (not viewable) to the camera. Then I beefed up the lighting intensity.
Pheidian wrote:Have you tried applying luminous polygons behind the windows (like area lights in fprime), adding them a luminosity of 1000%, and then playing around with recurse settings (10 is good, but 30 will give you more much more light).
How does luminous polygons differ then just using area lights in Kray? Because I tried using the luminous polys (admittedly not for very long) before the area lights and couldn't get the lighting boosted like when area lights where in.
Pheidian wrote:I gotta give this a try also at some point when not rendering any commercial stuff...I'll try to do some image for this for you when I have the time.
Hey Pheidian, I know your busy, so I understand...but I'd love to see what this scene could look like from someone who knows what they're doing. So when ever you have a chance, I'd love to see something.
Attachments
kray_render_900000.jpg
kray_render_900000.jpg (312.87 KiB) Viewed 5511 times
Larry V

Romans 1:16
For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is
the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes.
darickster

Post by darickster »

How does luminous polygons differ then just using area lights in Kray? Because I tried using the luminous polys (admittedly not for very long) before the area lights and couldn't get the lighting boosted like when area lights where in.
kray has to convert area lights, its more efficient to use lumi polys, they will give cleaner results. In this image the scene looks evenly lit thus dull, this could be a look you are aiming for but generally you would want to see subtle differences in lighting, see where the light is coming from, for instance on the ceiling. Lumi polys give you just that.. more controll, cleaner gi and a sense of where the light is coming from.

Use the autopart plugin to let them be converted to seperate sources and you will be amazed..

have a look at:
http://www.kraytracing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1121
and:
http://www.kraytracing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1116
pheidian putting them to great use..

If you look at what area basicly are (and what makes them render so inefficient) they are planes casting bright light in the middle and casting less light moving away from the center, a lumi poly will cast light evenly but they can have whatever shape you want them to be.

you can handle the recursion through the 2 kray surfaceshader in materialeditor (last tab) you can add a multiplier there, force them to render indirectly (splothes) or let them render directly (noise). For accurate placement i suggest you place them i modeler and apply parts (with plugin) there.

cheers
larry_g1s

Post by larry_g1s »

darickster wrote:
In this image the scene looks evenly lit thus dull, this could be a look you are aiming for but generally you would want to see subtle differences in lighting, see where the light is coming from, for instance on the ceiling.
I agree about the slightly dull look due to the overall even lighting. I don't mind it per se, I was just glad I could get it from looking so dark. I'll try with the luminous polys to get less dull.
darickster wrote:
Use the autopart plugin to let them be converted to separate sources and you will be amazed..

have a look at:
http://www.kraytracing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1121
and:
http://www.kraytracing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1116
pheidian putting them to great use..

If you look at what area basicly are (and what makes them render so inefficient) they are planes casting bright light in the middle and casting less light moving away from the center, a lumi poly will cast light evenly but they can have whatever shape you want them to be.

you can handle the recursion through the 2 kray surfaceshader in materialeditor (last tab) you can add a multiplier there, force them to render indirectly (splothes) or let them render directly (noise). For accurate placement i suggest you place them i modeler and apply parts (with plugin) there.

cheers
Yeah, I like that one that Pheidian did, that's why I want to see him mess with this scene. Thanks very much for the explanation & resources darickster.
Last edited by larry_g1s on Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Larry V

darickster

Post by darickster »

its a good starting point larry, just realize you can completely light a room with one luminous firefly if you pump the intensity up to the max, really powerfull stuff lumis are..
larry_g1s

Post by larry_g1s »

darickster wrote:its a good starting point larry, just realize you can completely light a room with one luminous firefly if you pump the intensity up to the max, really powerfull stuff lumis are..
luminous firefly, what's that :?:
Larry V

darickster

Post by darickster »

:lol: a small insect casting light

cheers

ric
darickster

Post by darickster »

Rendered out a bunch, lumis in windows, dome, altered some textures.. hdr output..

The original one (in the wiiroom thread) has some light coming from the camera side (which help giving more attention to the sofa), this is just lit with natural light so focus is on the windows. Faked it in one because i can.

cheers

ric
Attachments
postwork and faked couchlight
postwork and faked couchlight
wiiroomric_kray_ps2.jpg (201.8 KiB) Viewed 5514 times
straight from kray
straight from kray
wiiroomric_kray.jpg (193.32 KiB) Viewed 5528 times
some postwork
some postwork
wiiroomric_kray_ps.jpg (196.4 KiB) Viewed 5498 times
larry_g1s

Post by larry_g1s »

Very nice darickster, I love the angle. The scene I reloaded up, should have windows on the camera side for ambient light to come in. If you don't have that one let me know.
Larry V

darickster

Post by darickster »

Have that one larry, thanks, see you are improving far more lately..

Had to pull the backwall back to get the camera in, gave me funny results when i used the original one sided poly scene. So the windows on camside dont have a lot of effect. Experimenting to retain some grain in the images, quasi random AA.

cheers ric
cruisermori

My render

Post by cruisermori »

1 spol light (Sun) and Skylight plugin. LM mode. AMD 3000+ and still good render time. KRay 8)
Attachments
Test_0200000.jpg
Test_0200000.jpg (261.11 KiB) Viewed 5548 times
larry_g1s

Re: My render

Post by larry_g1s »

CruiserMori wrote:1 spol light (Sun) and Skylight plugin. LM mode. AMD 3000+ and still good render time. KRay 8)
Nice CruiseMori, it's a bit too flat for my taste (might just be because some textures aren't there), but it's definitely more lit, which is more what I was looking to do. Mind sharing your settings? Also what do you mean by LM mode?
Larry V

cruisermori

Set-up

Post by cruisermori »

LM - Lightmap
Attachments
Set-up.jpg
Set-up.jpg (143.79 KiB) Viewed 5511 times