help with noise

Post your tutorials and help questions in this forum
vpii

help with noise

Post by vpii »

Can someone please help me in how to reduce the noise in the image. I have cache off, with FG at 5000. is this reasonable?
Maybe Jonny Q should right some tutorials or make some sample scenes for sale. I would be the 1st in line to purchase. I waste more time trying to figure this software out.
Attachments
testlobby2.jpg
testlobby2.jpg (168.13 KiB) Viewed 5643 times
Pheidian

Post by Pheidian »

Agreed! I'm kinda stuck with the settings also, can't seem to find noiseless render (withing decent render times) settings, with or without Cached irradiance...

I'm tried adding more photons etc, but I can't seem to get the cell count rise above 20 000...
silverlw

Post by silverlw »

You can increase luminous quality values OR use fullscreen Grid AA 4=16 passes OR use real lamps with IES lightdata OR divide all different luminous lamps into parts to further improve the quality of luminous light AND ofcourse combine them all.
Look at my modeller screendump below how to. Instead of seeing "adding 1 lumelight" in Krays outputwindow you should see as many lumelights as you have created parts. This helps kray to make a better endresult.
Attachments
8 parts_FSgridAA4.png
8 parts_FSgridAA4.png (239.79 KiB) Viewed 5652 times
Create parts.jpg
Create parts.jpg (185.22 KiB) Viewed 5641 times
Last edited by silverlw on Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
silverlw

Post by silverlw »

Pheidian wrote:Agreed! I'm kinda stuck with the settings also, can't seem to find noiseless render (withing decent render times) settings, with or without Cached irradiance...

I'm tried adding more photons etc, but I can't seem to get the cell count rise above 20 000...
Have you studied the online manual and gone through some tutorials?
There is no point increasing photons/cellcount if you dont have to. What exactly is the problem?
silverlw

Post by silverlw »

Just out of curiosity: This is what i got after 30 minutes lvl 71 with Fprimerender, Intensity 300% 3 bounces and 20%ambientlight.
Attachments
blowup0060.png
blowup0060.png (462.2 KiB) Viewed 5630 times
vpii

Post by vpii »

interesting, I never heard anyone here before mention split lights up. I will give it a try. If that does not work would you mind silver if I sent you the file? My problem is if i cache I can smooth out noise but my contact shadows are bad. If I set FG to a high preset i get alot of noise. If I turn cache off I get the best contact shadows but have to live so far with the noise. I am even using fs AA grid-catmull grid size 10. still noise. I am using all lum polys for can lights, all on same layer and material. about 20 of them in all the 2 rooms.
silverlw

Post by silverlw »

Contact shadows that are visible in prerender but dissapears in final are part of a bug Grzegorz is hunting right now.Catmull will worsen the noise if any since it increases edges alot to make them look artificially sharper. I would recommend Mitchel,spline or lanczos.

Sure email me at silverlw@kraytracing.com
vpii

Post by vpii »

Could you silver or some expert here tell me if these settings are reasonable, one thing is clear now is I have not idea what I am doing in Kray. Thanks Silver for the light tip for splitting them up that helped alot. the attached image took 3 hours to render, that seems high. Please look at just lighting I have not started to texture yet really. Do these settings seem good and is 3 hours normal for this size. Tips on settings would be very welcome.
Attachments
testlobby3.jpg
testlobby3.jpg (312.52 KiB) Viewed 5630 times
settings.jpg
settings.jpg (123.9 KiB) Viewed 5616 times
silverlw

Post by silverlw »

I can see youre confused since almost every entry/values are weird to me.
Can you just wrap everything up and email the scene to me so i can tweak it and send it back? silverlw@kraytracing.com
vpii

Post by vpii »

Siverlw I sent you a email with download info, Thanks for your help and getting me on track.

Mike
erwin zwart

Post by erwin zwart »

one value that struck me immediately is in FG tab, blur 30 (??!!) That takes care of removing ANY contact shadow. Set it to 1 or 2 (or even 0 at test time) Blurring I only do after I have the initial lighting right.
btw why don't you use "cache irradiance"? That is the thing kray is famous for. To check if you have enough FG sample points , set "show Samples" Point to All and set prerender to 0% and AA off, with a low FG min and max. Then you see fast if you have enough samples to interpolate between.
I guess you did do Jure's tutorial explaining a typical workflow for a scene like this. (this really has to be made into a videotutorial this year, it's one of my New Year's resolutions ;) )
You also use a paths 2 with 99% corner distance with a fixed GI resolution. Any reason for that? First try to set paths 0 and use auto GI resolution to see what kray comes up with.
vpii

Post by vpii »

I will try your settings Erwin. That video and maybe some stock example scenes and content would be great for new software users. There is so much information on this forum but you have to read thru almost every post. Looks like I have been taking all bad information. It would be nice to see maybe some more stock presets added. The three now are ok but do not seem to work good for everything. Attached is medium settings, looks ok but all contact shadows are weak now.
Attachments
lobbytstMed.jpg
lobbytstMed.jpg (201.82 KiB) Viewed 5618 times
Nemesis CGI

Post by Nemesis CGI »

Silverlw wrote:You can increase luminous quality values OR use fullscreen Grid AA 4=16 passes OR use real lamps with IES lightdata OR divide all different luminous lamps into parts to further improve the quality of luminous light AND ofcourse combine them all.
Look at my modeller screendump below how to. Instead of seeing "adding 1 lumelight" in Krays outputwindow you should see as many lumelights as you have created parts. This helps kray to make a better endresult.
I must have missed something here, do you have to add a part in order to get lumelights to work?

Shaun.
silverlw

Post by silverlw »

There is no point in using parts if you use indirect lightmodell (luminous surfaces will always shoot photons anyway) but if you use luminous surfaces and use lightmodell "Auto" or "direct" to trace the surfaces direct, then it can be very usefull.
I will try to give a god example:

Think of an apartment that you have decided to light completely with luminous surfaces instead of traditional pointlights/arealight/spotlights.
You have modelled 30 small luminous polygons as spotlights in the roof, added some lampshades here and there... All in all you use about 40 groups of luminous surfaces that will become your lightsources.

Without dividing those 40 groups of polygons into 40 different parts Kray will just add them all and calculate them as one single "Lumelight". (seen in Krays outputwindow) The end result will be quite noisy like one very big arealight! If we instead manually divide those luminous polygongroups into "parts" Kray will treat them as 40 separate arealights (kray output will say "adding 40 lumi lights" and the outcome will be much better even with rather low quality values and therefore render faster. Quality/luminosity treshold Min/Max value is what control the quality for those direct lights.

Im tired when i write this so keep asking if something is unclear and i try explain it better.