furry rugg

Post your tutorials and help questions in this forum
_mats_

furry rugg

Post by _mats_ »

Hi everyone -

Another installment of my weekly questions here...

How would you get around creating a furry rug like this one? I tries Sas , but I realized its a post process and not "seen" by Kray.

I would need to make it with geometry, will any fiber generator render in Kray?

Any ideas? very much appreciated.

Matt -
Attachments
screenshot6.jpeg
screenshot6.jpeg (88.37 KiB) Viewed 6259 times
acidarrow

Post by acidarrow »

Hmm you could give this a try with hypervoxels, although I'm not sure it can be done.
_mats_

Post by _mats_ »

Thanks Acid -

It will be very tough to achieve, I assume no fiber generator will render in Kray? I have saslite and it didnt work, but dont know about the rest
bigstick

Post by bigstick »

What about creating a clipmap and arraying it, the same way that people do with grass?
acidarrow

Post by acidarrow »

If there is one fiber generator that does its generation volumetrically and is not a pixel filter, it should work.

I believe trueart was/is working on something like that, don't know if it is released.
_mats_

Post by _mats_ »

thanks guys.

Bigstick, yes that might work I have done it once with "shreded edges" type rugs before kray and looked good, I will try this vertically in arrays like you said, that might work, thanks -

I will look into other vol. fiber generators, would be nice to get that curly look too
sepo

Post by sepo »

So...does Kray support displacement mapping? Because this would be the way to do rugs and grass etc.
silverlw

Post by silverlw »

Kray supports bumpmapping, normalmapping and ordinary lw/kray displacementmapping but the thing we all wants is subpixeldisplacement wich is in pipeline of development.
_mats_

Post by _mats_ »

glad to know subpixel disp is coming finally !
NiGMa

Post by NiGMa »

Silverlw wrote:Kray supports bumpmapping, normalmapping and ordinary lw/kray displacementmapping but the thing we all wants is subpixeldisplacement wich is in pipeline of development.
what? how is normal mapping supported? node?
silverlw

Post by silverlw »

Yes afaik it's by node and it works
Jahun

Post by Jahun »

Does it?

I tried a nodal normal map on a character here and it works fine in Fprime and LW itself but Kray can't seem to get it rendered (either it just stalls rendering, or it gives a black band right where the specific character was)..

On LW 9.2 and Kray OB 6..
acidarrow

Post by acidarrow »

LW 9.2 could be the culprit for this, although I'm not sure. I did a quick test right now, and normal mapping seems to work (although there was a dark triangle somewhere), although I'm not sure I did everything properly with certain settings it takes longer than it should. If you have a test scene with normal mapping that doesn't work, please share it.
Jahun

Post by Jahun »

Hmm I can't share this one, since I am not allowed to share the object in question which has the normal map.

If you say it works for you, I'll try some other basic object later when I get the time.. if I still get issues I'd happily share that one... thanks!
_mats_

Post by _mats_ »

Answering my own question here in case anyone needs something similar

I solved this using point clone as someone mentioend in the NT forums, I did 4 quadrants and used the Kray clone, so its light in geometry, that worked.

slow rendering, but trying using filtered GI on that surface thanks to the new shader panel (super handy)

Matt -
Attachments
photonmap00000.png
photonmap00000.png (719.32 KiB) Viewed 6264 times