OB4 slowness?

Post your tutorials and help questions in this forum
Nemesis CGI

OB4 slowness?

Post by Nemesis CGI »

For some reason OB4 is taking a long time Precomputing irradiances.
One of my scenes I've been working on use to start render quite fast where as now it seams to take forever even on the low preset.

Any thoughts?

Shaun.
Nemesis CGI

Post by Nemesis CGI »

Just rolled back to OB3 & the scene is rendering fine.
Is this a bug?

Shaun.
silverlw

Post by silverlw »

Hard to tell but numerous things have changed since OB3.
See also http://www.kraytracing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=966
If you have a scene that renders slower we would really like to look at it and find out why.
Nemesis CGI

Post by Nemesis CGI »

Silverlw wrote:Hard to tell but numerous things have changed since OB3.
See also http://www.kraytracing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=966
If you have a scene that renders slower we would really like to look at it and find out why.
Hmm, very odd. It's working now. I was about to packup the objects & scenes and upload them to my ftp for you. But looking at it there's no point.

If I get the same problem again I'll save the settings and try in a test-bed scene.

One thing I will say, it seams a lot faster!!

Many thanks,

Shaun Lee Bishop.
silverlw

Post by silverlw »

i have to ask so there aint this little thingy causing you troubles..
You have read the readme and dont happend to be using wireframe in opengl right? In wireframe mode things really f***s up but hiddenline wireframe and so on is ok.
Nemesis CGI

Post by Nemesis CGI »

Silverlw wrote:i have to ask so there aint this little thingy causing you troubles..
You have read the readme and dont happend to be using wireframe in opengl right? In wireframe mode things really f***s up but hiddenline wireframe and so on is ok.
Ah, that could have been it. OpenGL would have been in bounding box mode as this scene is very mesh heavy.
I've just switched back to bounding box & the scene renders fine still. Make you wonder???

Must admit, I have not read the readme, it's been a long night.

I'm off to bed now.

Thanks for the help.
silverlw

Post by silverlw »

Lw have troubles (bugs in sdk ) to properly export normals in the case of boundingbox/wireframe. If switched to hiddenline,render, and go back again to wireframe it usually works though (something might have been cached/initiated dunno ask Grzegorz :D ) Glad it works fine for you now.
Nemesis CGI

Post by Nemesis CGI »

Silverlw wrote:Lw have troubles (bugs in sdk ) to properly export normals in the case of boundingbox/wireframe. If switched to hiddenline,render, and go back again to wireframe it usually works though (something might have been cached/initiated dunno ask Grzegorz :D ) Glad it works fine for you now.
My only real problem now is the lack of Alpha, though my work around is to render a pure white object on black. 8)

Many thanks,

Shaun.
phile_forum

Post by phile_forum »

Nemesis CGI wrote:My only real problem now is the lack of Alpha, though my work around is to render a pure white object on black. 8)
Kray can generate alpha maps apparently, but I don't know how.

I usually just render the scene again using the LW renderer (you can even set it to quickshade for speed if there's no worries about transparent polys) and use the QV40 image viewer plugin to save the alpha channel. Quick & dirty and works well enough most of the time.

Phil
Planet Indifferent - CGI by Phil Emery
http://www.planetindifferent.co.uk
silverlw

Post by silverlw »

add needbuffers -1; to header or tail and you will get all buffers available
yes manual,yes i know ,yes we are working on it... :D
erwin zwart

Post by erwin zwart »

Nemesis CGI wrote: My only real problem now is the lack of Alpha, though my work around is to render a pure white object on black. 8)
Shaun.
use needbuffers 3;
this gives an extra alpha file (no 32bit color+alpha yet alas)
Furthermore needbuffers -1; in command line gives all buffers presently implemented, this needs some work yet though.
Nemesis CGI

Post by Nemesis CGI »

Erwin Zwart wrote:
Nemesis CGI wrote: My only real problem now is the lack of Alpha, though my work around is to render a pure white object on black. 8)
Shaun.
use needbuffers 3;
this gives an extra alpha file (no 32bit color+alpha yet alas)
Furthermore needbuffers -1; in command line gives all buffers presently implemented, this needs some work yet though.
Yippeee! :D :D Made my day, thank you! My client has always had the alpha as a separate file, so that's fine.

Just got the news, I've got to finish this job for the next morning. The client is made up with the new renders. Nearly lost work to a 3D-Max VRay user... you have no idea how happy I am I can compete!

No time to test, if I set a object to have a black alpha with KRay respect that?

Cool thing is after my deadline I can spend a little time rendering some of the old work I've done for them in the past.

Shaun.
Nemesis CGI

Post by Nemesis CGI »

Silverlw wrote:add needbuffers -1; to header or tail and you will get all buffers available
yes manual,yes i know ,yes we are working on it... :D
Thanks. Did not know that till your post. 8)

Don't worry, manuals... you have to read them... don't have the time yet...
To be honest all the presets & info I've found here has been a great help. I've had some great results very fast with out any real troubles.
Unlike Fprime, I can model while rendering as the panel locks up LW. Is that end of frame beep coming though?

Take care,

Shaun.