Question about Kray.

General disscusion about Kray
ana028

Question about Kray.

Post by ana028 »

Hi all, I have a question about kray.

I often see this forum and I can see the great works in the gallery of Johny Quick but I can see that in many works the time render is about 10-20- or 30 for final render and the result is great. But for other tests the time renders are 1h-2h or 3h for final production render. I don't know if for this times renders and the same scenes the new version of fprime (3.0) can be faster or not than kray. Fprime can get a great results too with this renders times with monte carlo algorithm. For others scenes or tests of course kray is much faster than fprime, for example the gibox scene in the forum, I remember that the result of Erwin was 3 or 4 min and fprime.....one hour or more...but my question is for biggers scenes.
florian

Post by florian »

Ther is no way that Fprime is faster than Kray in interior scenes with many bounces. Fprime is usually very fast on exteriors with not so many bounces.

3h for a final render would be in print res on not animation res.

Cheers, Florian
Macdoggie_forum

Post by Macdoggie_forum »

3hrs for a print quality resolution?? I have rendered F-Prime Monte Carlo scenes that took 10 or 12 hours to get the quality/resolution that I wanted. Don't get me wrong, I love F-Prime and before NT finally got thier stuff together and produced a stable more substantial renderer I relied heavily on F-Prime as our Workhorse render. Shame that it has been crippled the way it has been.

Also, Drei stunde ist nicht so schlect oder ... nicht Wahr?? :lol:

Cheers
Macdoggie_forum

One other thing to add and I just now thought of this does Kray support nodally generated surfaces in LW or do you have to disable them??
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

Macdoggie wrote:One other thing to add and I just now thought of this does Kray support nodally generated surfaces in LW or do you have to disable them??
It supports some nodes, but not all of them. If you set up your texturing using Nodal, it will work (math nodes, texture nodes, procedural nodes, etc). Anything that is essentially a shader won't work, at the moment. Materials don't work. Anything you plug into the various "shading" inputs won't work.
Macdoggie_forum

Ahh thanks this is better than I expected. So basically things like occusion shaders or material shaders won't work which I suppose is OK for the moment . Thanks you have been most helpful...

Cheers