Problem with memory usage?

General disscusion about Kray
Captain Obvious

Problem with memory usage?

Post by Captain Obvious »

Just to try Kray's instancing, I just rendered about 20 million polygons (an SDS teapot, instanced out 120 times). Kray used about 650 megabytes of memory with the instances, and the same amount with all of them turned off. I tried the same in modo (same teapot, as many polygons), and the total RAM usage was about 130-140 megabytes (again, same memory usage with and without the instances). Lightwave used about 120 megabytes rendering just the non-instanced teapot.

Am I right to assume that the next beta will be more efficient, in terms of memory usage?
jure

Re: Problem with memory usage?

Post by jure »

Captain Obvious wrote: Am I right to assume that the next beta will be more efficient, in terms of memory usage?
In short: yes.

Memory usage you are seeing is actually combined mem from LW and Kray. Kray currently copies all textures and objects to RAM so you're actually getting almost double amount of RAM usage.
- Jure
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

Ah, right. But that was with no image maps what-so-ever. Memory usage grew with about 600 megabytes when rendering in Kray (compared to just having the scene open in LW), for a mere 180k or so polygons.

Which unfortunately is the reason none of our proper scenes render in Kray...

new beta, please! :D
florian

Post by florian »

Captain Obvious wrote: new beta, please! :D
:!:

Oh Yes.

Florian