Problem with memory

Post your tutorials and help questions in this forum
juli51_forum

Post by juli51_forum »

Ok,.. just looked at the prices for memory RAM for MAC Pro,..... I think I better try to reduce MB amout of the textures... :oops: for the scene I posted in this thread I used 155 MB.. ( I have 5 GB RAM) so a bit more than Jure.
zent

Post by zent »

I had the same issue in the past. I would use textures under 2000 X 2000 and smaller. I only have 2gb of ram and this fixed my memory issue. :wink:
Radical Progressive
jure

Post by jure »

I don't know about MAC's but on PC you can only run 3GB on win XP 32bit...
- Jure
juli51_forum

Post by juli51_forum »

I only have 5GB in my MAC PRO but you can set up until 16GB... if you have enough money......4GB about 1000 ? :D
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

Lightwave on the Mac should be able to use up to 4 gigabytes of memory.
phile_forum

Post by phile_forum »

I've done a few experiments on the texture thing. I have a scene with 57MB of textures (figure from LW Image Editor) that will render no wider than 4500 pixels - any more than that and Kray gives up.

Reducing the textures in size down to a total of 10MB (by just making most of them 1/4 size) has allowed me to render the scene at 5500 pixels wide, which is a pretty large increase. I suspect that if I spent more time making some of the textures even smaller (the ones that only show in small patches in the background for instance), or by replacing some with procedurals, I might get it up to 6000 wide which is a nice useful figure (20 inches at 300dpi).

Clearly it is well worth spending time optimizing your textures if you expect to render large pictures.

This is all on a 2GB WinXP Pro machine. I'd love to add another gig of RAM but all my memory slots are full. :(

Phil
Planet Indifferent - CGI by Phil Emery
http://www.planetindifferent.co.uk
jure

Post by jure »

And don't forget to turn off Mip-mapping and Pixel blending for all your textures.
- Jure
juli51_forum

Post by juli51_forum »

Captain Obvious wrote:Lightwave on the Mac should be able to use up to 4 gigabytes of memory.
Do you mind LW would't take advantage of any extra memory up 4GB on the macs?.. :?
totoro

Post by totoro »

Just start learning this powerful renderer and have limited experience on it.

My question is can Kray take advantage of the XP64 bit architecture and use more memory than 32bit XP can offer ? What I mean is if I use kray in Lw 9.0 32bit version in XP 64 environment , can kray now access more memory than 3GB ?

Actually I try it and it seems help. After doing the rendering in XP64, I have a success to render my high-poly model in kray now, no more unexpected exception error . :P
NiGMa

Post by NiGMa »

totoro,

yep, im running 32bit lw 9.0 and win64, I never get unexpected exception. =)
jure

Post by jure »

Hmm interesting.. maybe I should try it too...
- Jure
juli51_forum

Post by juli51_forum »

in any case, when you start to understad kray a bit, it's amazing fast and in some cases renders taking hours long are just made in minutes with Kray.
_mats_

Post by _mats_ »

Yes, Kray is amazing, just awaiting network rendering right now ! :)

Kray on the Mac has zero memory issues by the way, I can render ANY resolution with ANY number of polygons apparently, never had a problem, but I run it on the PC and the memory leak is there, so it must be a combination of windows/LW on the PC alone.

Thanks for a great product

Matt -
juli51_forum

Post by juli51_forum »

Good to know, maybe in future versions can this issue with memory and MACs improve,... hope so..
Haven1000

Post by Haven1000 »

_mats_ wrote:Kray on the Mac has zero memory issues by the way, I can render ANY resolution with ANY number of polygons apparently, never had a problem
Matt -
Since I've been using instances in 1.7 I've have zero memory issues. Kray having it's own instances solution has to be one of it's best feature's. It's saved my bacon a few times already :lol:
"Place your vote now for the Kraydar pixel filter"