Problem with memory

Post your tutorials and help questions in this forum
kekers

Problem with memory

Post by kekers »

Does kray 1.7OB2 have any problem launching big renders?. Tried to render a 6000x4500 and i got an "unexpected exception", lowered several times and nothing till i got to 4000 width. My computer conf.: 4GB ram 800mhz, intel QX7600, XP Pro. Fprime was able to launch a 7000x5000 px render. Does it have to do with memory?. Thanks in advance.
jure

Post by jure »

Yes it's most probably memory issue. You should try lowering octree depth and see if that will help.
- Jure
juli51_forum

Post by juli51_forum »

Hi guys, just wanted to ask the same questio,... I'm rendering now an A3 scene,.. and it takes about 3 days,.. but for the moment hast just craked donw two times with different settings,.. I will still lowering max ostree depth,.. but what happens if lowering too much?
jure

Post by jure »

Lowering octree is going to extend render times considerably. But sometimes it's the only way to get large image rendered.
- Jure
kekers

Post by kekers »

Jure, thanks for the quick answer, anyway i'd like to thank gregorz for the great work he's doing plus Jure and all the other people attached to the project for keeping up such a good forum and your tutorials. I think KRAY is the most reliable and working process renderer lightwave has, for the needs of the actual market. I bought it a week ago and, still a newbie, but surprised each time.

Only one more question, is it possible, or will be, to get an alpha channel within the .tga format for easier post processing?. Thanks and good work.
jure

Post by jure »

Yes alpha channel is planned for 1.7

I've also unlocked the 1.7 open beta forum for you. You can find more information including draft of the manual there.
- Jure
_mats_

unexpected exception

Post by _mats_ »

I had the same issue on a pretty dense LWS.

I began tweaking the geometry, creating LP (low polygon) versions of every object for rendering purposes, keeping the HP versions for editing, I used QEM loss 3 , which triangulates the geometry in the process, I do not know if this helps Kray compute, since Kray does triangulate itself (so it might speed that part up)

anyway, that did work for me, also restarting the machine will clear up more RAM (on the PC at least) that might help

all is working here now,

Matt -
juli51_forum

Post by juli51_forum »

I'm having problems with memory too, y cant't render this scene over 1500 x 1097 ppi, wich is not enought for an A4 that I need for a client. tweaking any other settings doesn't seem to work, doesn't matter what I do,.. over 1500 x 1097 ppi will not be render also octree dept.. I put octree depht from 10 to 100 without succes,.. so i had to scale the image with genuine fractal pro for photoshop.

Problem with other similar scenes has not happent in large sice the limit was a bit higer about 3000 x 2193 ppi, bu the same problem happent at higer values,. and allways at the point of apliying filter.. after the whole render was done, I tried with pixel filter box, lanczlos and mitchell, but also without success.

Is there any other settings or reason that I have maibe missed, or some advice it may help?

Thanks
Attachments
PLANTA 200000.1.jpg
PLANTA 200000.1.jpg (97.12 KiB) Viewed 6902 times
juli51_forum

Post by juli51_forum »

Does it has maybe something to do with the number of poligons in the scene..is there a direct relationship between number of poligons and the huge a scene can be render?. .. is just an idea
NiGMa

Post by NiGMa »

yes, it does have to do with number of polys, at least thats what I have found. I have rendered a 7000x3000 image with kray and about 4,000,000 polys(instanced, probably only 700,000 without the instances). But this only renders on my beast computer with 4GB ram running windowsxp 64bit. on my other machine with 2GB and only win32 it wont render at 7000wide, but it will at 3000. hope that helps =)
juli51_forum

Post by juli51_forum »

fine, thanks, so there must be some kind of memory limitation when rendering many many polys,...... is there other way to render such amounts of polys apart from lowering octree deept wich in somme cases doesnt seem to help,..or.. does it help allways? :)
NiGMa

Post by NiGMa »

i remember trying OCTree=1 for a scene on the smaller computer and it just wouldn't work, although I've been wanting to try the 3GB tweak for windows xp. I was watching the mem usage when I had OCTree=1 and it wasn't all used up, so that could be something to try.
phile_forum

Post by phile_forum »

Although the number of polys clearly has a major effect, I'm beginning to think the size and number of texture maps in use is also important.

I often use Poser figures to populate mid- to long-shots and even though they're not particularly poly-heavy, they do use a lot of texture maps. I find Kray falls over pretty quickly when the number of figures gets above ten or so.

If memory is becoming a problem, try resizing your tex. maps as small as you think you can get away with.

Phil
Planet Indifferent - CGI by Phil Emery
http://www.planetindifferent.co.uk
jure

Post by jure »

Currently the size of textures is the biggest headache for Kray. I found out that I wasn't able to render more than about 100MB of (uncompressed) textures with 2GB ram. The number of polygons is also a factor of course, but this can be controlled with Octree's to some degrees.

Unfortunately you'll just have to wait for upgrade which will fix many memory issues or you could go and buy more RAM. I have 3GB under winXP and it looks like it's enough for now (with /3GB switch).
- Jure
juli51_forum

Post by juli51_forum »

So, problem seems to be focused on more RAM for texture images... if buying more RAM would maybe let me reach a bit more of size in my renders, (aswell as reducing textures size), until next update. i would buy some,.. Is there anyway to be about 90% sure about that posibillity? :)