Kray v Rest of the World

General disscusion about Kray
jure

Post by jure »

Vray surface seems to have strongerblur. The quality of blur seems a little bit better in Kray (less grain).
- Jure
Haven1000

Post by Haven1000 »

Would this be caused by a large specularity value on the LW surface?

If you turn the spec down and maybe increase Reflection, would this reduce the blown out highlights?
jure

Post by jure »

Specularity is "fake" reflections and therefore I don't recomend using it in Kray at all. You can get much better effect by using blurred reflections alone.
- Jure
Haven1000

Post by Haven1000 »

jure wrote:Specularity is "fake" reflections and therefore I don't recomend using it in Kray at all. You can get much better effect by using blurred reflections alone.
Yes this was my point, would a large Spec value be responsible for the poor reflection blurring that was seen in Johny's Kray render? I suppose only Johny can answer that :!:

or is it just that there is very little bump on his floor surface to match the high reflection blur; ie. the less smooth the surface the greater the blur

I'll stop being lazy and do some of my own tests.
acidarrow

Post by acidarrow »

The VRay one looks like it has some fresnel (incidence angle gradient on reflection in lightwave) while the kray one does not (at least, it looks like it doesn't, as far as I can tell), maybe that's why you say it looks "better".
bigstick

Post by bigstick »

Looks to me like the Vray image has a very slight bump mapping on the floor.
The other thing I have noticed on the Vray image is that the textures are sharper. The concrete texture on the back wall is the main one.

The Vray image also seems to have a slightly higher gamma to me.

Finally, is there a light leak in the Kray image in the right corner behind the lamp?
intuition

Post by intuition »

I wasn't really surprised to see Kray giving all the other renders a good fight.

:D 8) :D 8)

When its node compatible and network savvy it will probably become as popular as f-prime.

For now, us early adopters get all the fun. ;)
intuition

Post by intuition »

Oh btw, is the beta that is downloadable the 2.2 beta? I've been seeing that in some of the pics and am wondering if I have 2.2 or just 2.0?

:shock:
3dworks

Post by 3dworks »

dee wrote:thanks for posting the scene erwin. my version took 16 min. with 9.2 and i was wondering why your scene rendered so much faster. the glas on the shelf takes forever in my scene. :cry:

here is my version.
are you by any chance on OSX?

markus
_mats_

Post by _mats_ »

hmm Yes, Mac or Pc version?
Unfortunately the mac version is much slower for some reason :(

I use both platforms, but prefer mac for my daily work, so have to resort to using the PC :(((

Hope this will taken care of.

Matt -
Haven1000

Post by Haven1000 »

Intuition wrote:Oh btw, is the beta that is downloadable the 2.2 beta? I've been seeing that in some of the pics and am wondering if I have 2.2 or just 2.0?
There's an Open Beta for download but there is also a "Closed Beta group" who seem to get every build. 8)
erwin zwart

Post by erwin zwart »

Haven1000 wrote:
Intuition wrote:Oh btw, is the beta that is downloadable the 2.2 beta? I've been seeing that in some of the pics and am wondering if I have 2.2 or just 2.0?
There's an Open Beta for download but there is also a "Closed Beta group" who seem to get every build. 8)
yeah some guys have all the luck... seriously these "internal" beta's are trials to solve bugs in the regular open beta and highly experimental. As soon as it gets more reliable, the same thing will be spread as OB3. The programmer is already flooded with our reports ;)
At the moment the mac version is pounded on very hard by Markus and I compare those scene results with my Windows version and viceversa. It would also help if LW 9.2 goes UB, then kray can follow and then we can compare similar hardware with OSX and Windows on it to know where the large speed difference comes from. We found that the printed rendertime is wrong on a quadcore G5, so it's less dramatic then kray tells us. Could people download my mentalray test room and post here their clocked times with the picture where kray tells the rendertime?
rockmed

Post by rockmed »

Here is an attempt with modo on a Mac Pro 2.66...
1st render 3m48s
2nd render 1m48s (using Indirect range, not as physically accurate)
Attachments
1st render 3m48s<br />2nd render 1m48s (using Indirect range, not as physically accurate)
1st render 3m48s
2nd render 1m48s (using Indirect range, not as physically accurate)
modo-kray.jpg (167.35 KiB) Viewed 6721 times
Haven1000

Post by Haven1000 »

Erwin Zwart wrote:It would also help if LW 9.2 goes UB, then kray can follow and then we can compare similar hardware with OSX
We'll that's made my week, I was concerned that Kray for Mac would be neglected once the UB was released, since I questioned it a few times recently without any response.
Erwin Zwart wrote:Could people download my mentalray test room and post here their clocked times with the picture where kray tells the rendertime?
Will Do

Edit:
Erwin, I've Just noticed that you used OB2.x with your scene, since I've only got OB2 I cannot read your Kray settings, could you let me know what your settings are please?
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

This is my best setup compare to V-ray.
Attachments
V-ray.jpg
V-ray.jpg (129.17 KiB) Viewed 6718 times
kray.jpg
kray.jpg (115.93 KiB) Viewed 6753 times
kray_testFinal.rar
(2.95 KiB) Downloaded 418 times