Juice Bar

Please post finished works here.
Haven1000

Juice Bar

Post by Haven1000 »

I was not sure if I should of posted this in the Help & Tutorials forum or here since it's kind of WIP.

Anyway attached is a composited render which I'm reasonably happy quality wise with (still getting to grips with Kray parameters). But the render took over 11hrs to complete at 2000x1500 which would be reasonable with a native LW or an F-prime render, but with the quality/speed that I've seen some of the more seasoned Kray guy's can achieve I'm sure I could get this render done faster. I'm expecting the client to come back with some changes, so a re-render is more than likely. I've also attached my Kray settings. :oops:

I also modelled the surrounding structure of the photograph to simulate the lighting/ environment (which I alpha out post) therefore kray rendered this as well and I think it added a few hours to the render.

I would appreciate any advice to improve on the speed, thanks in advance

Cheer, Stuart.

BTW My machine is a Dual 2.0 G5, 2.5gig using LW9.0 & 1.7OB2
Attachments
kray_settings01.zip
settings
(924 Bytes) Downloaded 298 times
juice_bar.jpg (173.93 KiB) Viewed 5048 times
jure

Post by jure »

Wow! You captured light very well!

11hrs? Yes this sounds waay too much. Funny thing is that I cannot find anything weird in your settings. The only thing I could think off is to turn luminosity mode on quality tab to "Indirect" and lower blurring accuracy limit to 1%...

See if that helps somewhat.

Otherwise try QMC preset (cache irradiance OFF, FG rays min ~800 max 0)
- Jure
Haven1000

Post by Haven1000 »

Thanks for the reply Jure,

I'll try your settings to see if it makes a difference.

I think the really problem was the image maps of the original photo in the background, the original photo is very grainy and during Krays adaptive sampling virtually the whole photo was being treated, I'll blur the background image maps to see if it helps.

On another note, in the future will Kray be able to read LW's render flags in the object properties options so we can use "unseen by camera"?

Cheers

Stuart
jure

Post by jure »

eeem Unseen by camera allready works. So does unseen by rays and cast shadows.
- Jure
Haven1000

Post by Haven1000 »

jure wrote:eeem Unseen by camera allready works. So does unseen by rays and cast shadows.
Ok, I'm sure I tried it, I look again :?
PrintF

Re: Juice Bar

Post by PrintF »

very-very cool!

how are you build in 3d in this photo? how to find parameters of real camera and 3d-camera?

can you display only render in kray and original photo?
Haven1000

Re: Juice Bar

Post by Haven1000 »

PrintF wrote:how are you build in 3d in this photo? how to find parameters of real camera and 3d-camera?
Do you mean camera match? this plugin is great for camera matching http://www2.ocn.ne.jp/~fis_junk/plug/wi ... -0_2_4.zip

But since I use a Mac I tend you use a manual method of importing the photo
to Compositing>Background Image (making sure that in Display Preferences that you turn Camera View Background to Background Image), then match the real world camera Focal Length to LW Camera's Focal Length and finally move & rotate the camera around in layout until your reference objects match up.
PrintF wrote:can you display only render in kray and original photo?
see attached
Attachments
kray render
kray render
Kray_J.jpg (41.62 KiB) Viewed 4845 times
original photo
original photo
original.jpg (54.92 KiB) Viewed 4820 times
acidarrow

Post by acidarrow »

One thing that gives it away is that the photo is on the soft side, while the render is very sharp and pops out from the rest of the image.
Haven1000

Post by Haven1000 »

AcidArrow wrote:One thing that gives it away is that the photo is on the soft side, while the render is very sharp and pops out from the rest of the image.
Unfortunately like most of these things, I had no control over the original photo, which was probably taken with one of those cheapo digital camera and emailed to me jpeg-compressed to an inch of it's life :roll:

I could of matched the Kray render with the photo's quality (or lack of), but that would have given a poor representation of the proposal.

I prefer to think that the foreground (proposal) is in focus and the background is not, it's very much a taste thing.

Cheers

Stuart
PrintF

Post by PrintF »

AcidArrow wrote:One thing that gives it away is that the photo is on the soft side, while the render is very sharp and pops out from the rest of the image.
yes. I think Author can add some motion blur to 3d_render in Photoshop... 0.5, for example :)