Just handed over the money

General disscusion about Kray
phile_forum

Just handed over the money

Post by phile_forum »

Just bought Kray. Looking forward to getting to grips with 1.7!

Very exciting.

Phil
_mats_

Post by _mats_ »

congratulations, you wont regret it

I am rendering an anim test, so far no problems with irradiance jumping between frames, super smooth and fast render.

Now awaiting network rendering !

I was thinking it would be really neat to have a library of physically accurate materials, say :

Polished chrome
brushed aluminum
brushed nickel
plastics
glass, etc

something that we can just load up the .srf and be absolutely positive it will render accurately, like the readily available shaders for vray, that would save a LOT of time when working on arch viz projects, I can share the ones im creating , just not sure they are physically accurate?

Matt -
jure

Post by jure »

Yea we've been thinking about this allready. I'll create forum section for sharing materials. Later we can create web site section with materials.
- Jure
phile_forum

Post by phile_forum »

So cool to see Kray using the whole of my processor (just a hyperthreading one, but still...)

So far, so excellent. Thanks for the quick turnaround on the order, by the way.

Phil
jure

Post by jure »

Hey phile! Great to have you aboard!

Feel free to come to our IRC channel also for any support you need.
- Jure
phile_forum

Post by phile_forum »

Thanks Jure. I'm currently doing a test render and I'm mightily impressed. 1.6 took over four hours to complete it. 1.7 looks like it'll do it in under one.

Where is your IRC channel?

One technical question: is Kray optimised for Intel or AMD or both? My processor is getting rather old and I'm eyeing up a dual-core chip. Just wondering which would be better for Kray (I know the Intels are technically superior anyway).

Phil
Pavlov

Post by Pavlov »

hi Phile,
consider that we seem to have spotted some issues in Multithreading so if this proves true, Kray will be even faster on multicore systems.
Regarding materials, its our intention to make a library of materials to help new users in surfacing. A new Forum section has been opened just for this.

Paolo
jure

Post by jure »

phile wrote: Where is your IRC channel?

One technical question: is Kray optimised for Intel or AMD or both? My processor is getting rather old and I'm eyeing up a dual-core chip. Just wondering which would be better for Kray (I know the Intels are technically superior anyway).

Phil
On the top of this forum look for "chat" link which will take you directly to IRC channel.
Otherwise you can manualy set your IRC server to EFNET and join #kray

As far as Intel and AMD goes they should behave about the same... I don't have acctual benchmarks though.
- Jure