Render size with render settings

Post your tutorials and help questions in this forum
medzo

Render size with render settings

Post by medzo »

Hi

A few months ago I made some studio renders in full HD resolution, now they have asked me for bigger resolution for print. I have calculated that the renders need to be around 5000px large.

For HD renders it took my computer to render around 2 hours, now if i just rescale the camera resolution with these settings it will take around 10 hours or even more.

What settings can I change without loosing quality? If I am not mistaken I can lower AA, right? Anything else?
Janusz Biela

Re: Render size with render settings

Post by Janusz Biela »

You have a lot to choice :wink:

1. You can Set AA for Grid 2 Quadratic 1.2 for that resolution
2. You can use UNCACHE setup with FG min/max 100/100
3. You can save Photon Map (watch my tutorial) and use it for 2-5 computers with LOAD option + UNCACHE
4. You can use Photon Map in LOAD mode and render image in parts with LIMITED REGION (later you will connect all under PS) but for that must be UNCACHE.

What kind of light system you use?
medzo

Post by medzo »

Thanks Janusz.

I lit my scene with few lumi polygons with KraySurfaceOptions shader set on raytrace.

With UNCACHE method you mean cache irradiance map unchecked, right?
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

Post scene (can by empty without main object) will try help you.
medzo

Post by medzo »

thank you, i will post it tommorow, i need to get ready for basketball game, slovenia is playing with finland ;)
medzo

Post by medzo »

HI

I am attaching my studio scene setup with a small object. If you have time please take a look and help me set up so I won't have to wait 10 hours for render to finish. Thank you.
Attachments
KRAY.zip
(1.97 MiB) Downloaded 239 times
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

I just give you my studio with updated setup in Kray.
If I can help:
1. I use last time ONLY UNCACHE system render (QMC). Is incredible fast when you use Area Lights (this comes from clean photon map which give area lights) ....so do not be amazed to see FG 50/50! This is good quality.
2. If You want use QMC then DO NOT USE Luminescence! This will affect very noise render.
3. I switch to Lightmap (better is Photonmap) because is bug in Kray which generate photons from lumi panels switched to raytracing mode.
4. Do not use HDRi as source of light! This will destroy clean photonmap and even strong FG min/max will not smooth it.
5. Again avoid Lumi Panels - do not allow any photons coming from this source of light (only raytracing for reflection effect - see my scene)
6. Scene is near HQ render. To get less noise you can setup FG min/max 100/100.
7. Setup is without setup...this means no worry with splotches , light leak etc. It is QMC so you do not need prerender, spatial, Path Corners end many another.
8. If you like Path Tracing (Maxwell, Octane) then switch Kray to this option and change recurse 12 to recurse 3-5. Be careful with glass surfaces (3 recurse affect black effect surfaces, because to render correctly glass you need minimum 12 recurse. This will be fixed in K3 as INDEPENDENT recurse) Also you can put ZERO photons - you do not need it in Path Tracing, render will start immediately. In Path Tracing works only FG min/max and by this you control noise. Rest options doesn't work.
9. 4000 pix studio you can render in 1h (i7 CPU 12 HT) depends from object of course. This my sofa render was 8 min.
Attachments
Studio.rar
(84.71 KiB) Downloaded 292 times
Studio_TEST_AE.png
Studio_A.png
medzo

Post by medzo »

Thank you!

I have already started to render whole project, with UNCACHED and I am just amazed!!! :shock:

If I had left settings with cached irradiance it would took 32hours!!! But I have switched to uncached (also lowered AA form 8 to 3- i dont know why it was on 8 ), FG min/max 500/500 and raised reflection blur 1500/2000 and it rendered in 3,5 hours!!! And even the quality is much better than previous renders.

If only kray could render QMC with low recurse and still show transparent glass... maybe i wouldn't even need kray3.0 :)

Thanks Janusz for your setup, I will try it immediately!
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

medzo wrote:Thank you!

I have already started to render whole project, with UNCACHED and I am just amazed!!! :shock:
Yes is pretty forsaken idea. Works great with Area Lights (physical sources of light)
For HiRes you can put FG min/max 10/10...no no is no joke. Also keep GI resolution high (but not much, Interiors 300 mm, exteriors 600 mm). With that small amount FG You will get medium noise but AA G3 Quadratic 1.0 will smooth it.
With that setup you will render 4000 pix in 5-8 h.
If I had left settings with cached irradiance it would took 32hours!!! But I have switched to uncached (also lowered AA form 8 to 3- i dont know why it was on 8 ), FG min/max 500/500 and raised reflection blur 1500/2000 and it rendered in 3,5 hours!!! And even the quality is much better than previous renders.
Do not use AA over Grid 3 (G4, G5 etc). brings nothing. Of course quality is much better because is not INTERPOLATED so shadows are perfect.
If only kray could render QMC with low recurse and still show transparent glass... maybe i wouldn't even need kray3.0 :)

Thanks Janusz for your setup, I will try it immediately!
Yes glass is problem...only shader can solve it in future (multiply effect)
But remember QMC in first step is Photon Mapping and second step UNCACHE so first part is reduced by resolution GI (cells) Why you must use Area Light because they give photon similar to Skyportals. Do not use it with Lumi Poly!
Actually In K2.x I can render everything, especially when I do not use Final Gathering now.
In Interiors You must raise a bit FG (more noise) but not much, around 100/100 and still you will be faster then Final Gathering!
Here my test from this Idea , again previus scene but 3 times faster then before! (apparently old Kray is DAEMON of SPEED in QMC :shock: )
Attachments
Star_AE_Full.jpg
medzo

Post by medzo »

is it just me (or maybe something got messed up in Lightwave) but even bump is now showing much more intensely?
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

medzo wrote:is it just me (or maybe something got messed up in Lightwave) but even bump is now showing much more intensely?
Because is QMC (you are depend only from noise: less/more visible) so sampling in small bump area is more visible. Also I never use bump from Layout, only NODE bump which is transformed to NORMAL texture. This affect also very good bump in shadows because NORMAL map works in three dimensions better. So I never use normal map as ready normal map (waste of time and space on hard drive). Same texture for Fresnel, normal, map, diffuse (of course not all the time, very often must be special texture for bump map, color, reflection) but is some cases one is enough.
Attachments
ScreenShot099.png
nico

Post by nico »

EXCUSE ME but when use QMC with area light or luminosity (emitter lumipanel) i've noise!! why?
area light = 1.20h 625x375px
Attachments
area light (no lumipanel)
area light (no lumipanel)
QMC with emiter (lumipanel)
QMC with emiter (lumipanel)
uncache.zip
uncache from januzs scene.
(616 Bytes) Downloaded 229 times
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

This setup is for studio. For interiors you need increase more FG min/max (500/500 minimum). Also Area light min/max 3/4 is enough for good quality.
I try also this setup with lumi panels and I want say looks also good. I know is slow (not that much) but with Final Gathering is impossible to achieve that good GI.
Here my test for exterior (Maxwell Path Tracing/Kray QMC 12 recurse).
If somebody is interesting in, I will post this scene for tests. If somebody will watch carefully then will observe are not differences between Maxwell and Kray (of course Path Tracing is the best and is nothing to compare with QMC ) The time is twice faster...hmm not profitable but is one trick: in scene are not textures, reflections etc so in full render the difference will be huge (I think 5-10 times)
Attachments
Maxwell_test_13min_30s.png
Kray_5min.png
Kray_6min.png
nico

Post by nico »

i think maxwell is not good with "poor pc"....need of very high cpu number.
we have maxwell + 3 node but it's impossible use it in pipeline....
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

nico wrote:i think maxwell is not good with "poor pc"....need of very high cpu number.
we have maxwell + 3 node but it's impossible use it in pipeline....
....if you do not have minimum 64 threats then forget about speed. Maxwell is great offer really nice speed in the beginning (I think first minutes are done by interpolation trick because without it you would not see anything in 5-10 min) The real rendering coming in moment when level of noise change very slowly after 1-4 hours.