Price about 3d work (architectural) ?

General disscusion about Kray
Mario

Re: Price about 3d work (architectural) ?

Post by Mario »

Well I have a next project coming up very soon.
I gave a man an offer of 300€ for modeling furniture (from catalog) and interior space + 100€ per image.
Thats aboth normal price here.
Will post images when they are finished, if they even will be made.
My God what prices you have there, unbelivable!!!
Hire me to work for half that, and you just sit back and relax or do another project :D
jure

Post by jure »

Pheidian wrote:Well, if you're calculating your prices like I am, with 65 euros / hour rate and work fast, you can get pretty decent money without charging "per image high price".

We are said to be doing work quite cheap, but it's reality that we can create it fast and without losing our own time for doing another projects... For interiors, it's roughly 6-8 hour work for one still image, including modelling and final rendering (depending on resolution of course).

That in mind, 65 euros / hour = 10400 euros / month salary... not bad considering I end up giving price quotes like 1300-1500 euros for 4 interiors renders from the same flat (kitchen, living room, bathroom and bedroom)...
you are expencive, johny is/was cheap. ;)
- Jure
3dworks

Post by 3dworks »

Pheidian wrote:Well, if you're calculating your prices like I am, with 65 euros / hour rate and work fast, you can get pretty decent money without charging "per image high price".

We are said to be doing work quite cheap, but it's reality that we can create it fast and without losing our own time for doing another projects... For interiors, it's roughly 6-8 hour work for one still image, including modelling and final rendering (depending on resolution of course).

That in mind, 65 euros / hour = 10400 euros / month salary... not bad considering I end up giving price quotes like 1300-1500 euros for 4 interiors renders from the same flat (kitchen, living room, bathroom and bedroom)...
6-8 h for one still: does this include the time you are meeting with the client to discuss the project? does it include any kind of revision of the rendering by the client? is this including any custom modeling of furniture? ...and if you bill for a project like this, don't you never consider the added value for the customer (the right of use and reproduction)? of course it depends on the project, but in general, your image is being used to be printed in ads or shown on commercial web sites to sell a project. means, it is much more worth than just the time of being produced...

just curious

markus
geo_n

Post by geo_n »

The price for phedian is good. But I think the time is not realistic since if that were the case I would see a flood of kray renders.
And its also mentioned about other stuff(meeting,researching, get resources) besides the modelling,texturing, tests. Those time used need to be added.
Haven1000

Post by Haven1000 »

Something else which I believe should be considered when pricing, but I don't think has been mentioned in this thread, is, prices will vary, not just because of your location/ economy but because of the standard of work which you produce.
The more experienced/ talented you are the more you can expect to charge for your services, and at the end of the day your worth is only what the client is prepared to pay you.

Stuart
"Place your vote now for the Kraydar pixel filter"
3dworks

Post by 3dworks »

Haven1000 wrote:Something else which I believe should be considered when pricing, but I don't think has been mentioned in this thread, is, prices will vary, not just because of your location/ economy but because of the standard of work which you produce.
The more experienced/ talented you are the more you can expect to charge for your services, and at the end of the day your worth is only what the client is prepared to pay you.

Stuart
fundamental! it also depends on the special skills you can offer to your client. for example, if doing archviz images/animations, do you have an architectural background or even a degree? do you have practical design experience? sometimes i'm getting very sketchy designs of a building and it's more or less up to me to imagine how the details of this will look. so, many times, it's not just about modeling, but also about design. no need to say that the design has to look good as well...

if someone is experienced in this kind of work or specialized in certain areas he/she can ask more, simply because there aren't many others doing this kind of service.

markus
Pheidian

Post by Pheidian »

Jure: the good business is to pay low money for workers and charge big, but you knew it right? :)

Seriously, the money I calculate is income for the company, not money for individuals, since I'm trying to form a real long term growing business, not just making money for living...
mk

Post by mk »

Sorry I have been away for a long time.

I live in France. My point of view is: If the client can pay , why not ?!!!
Of course you can keep your price low to have more work.... But I was sure this client will never call me back ( he was in the hurry and have no other choise than work with me (his graphist was not free) )
As I said , my client was not the final client. So I am sure that he sold my pics more than 1000 euro / view to the final client.
I was very busy, working on an other project. I was not upset to not have this project....

I called some friends experienced in archi, they told me to start with 1000 euro/view. But I was unable to know how much work I had to do ( the client asked me to give a price before to show me the job to do !! ...). The only info I had was : "it must be realistic ! and how much for 4 views of an appartement"

I bought Kray, I learned Kray in one week...(I spend a little more than 1 month - the reel time is 2 weeks - because my client was not pro)) and voilà. the job was done, the final client was very , very, very happy ( this is the feedback I got).
Since, I have no news and I will certainly never work again with this client, because I was "expensive".
He's very happy with the job done, it was better than he expected. But as I said, I was sure it was one shoot because he needed someone in the hurry. He is looking for cheap artist (he really don't care about the quality).

My client was not pro on this job.... ( not available for me, missing infos, feedback very late, wrong informations, hard critics, deadlines not respected, calling me during nights and holidays, etc.. ). So 1000 euros was not expensive for a view !! ahaha ! :evil:

I have a big experience in commerical and Vfx, he was not scared to work with me (I sent my reel), he knows that I am an experienced artist. That's why I got the job at 4000 euros.

To find the good price for a job. I count how much days for modeling, texturing, rendering,etc... I add a price for phone calls, storage, DVDs, time spend in meetings, tests, software, plugins, oil (for car), etc... and I mutliply by my price/day.
of course you can imagine the price is very high at the final, but most of the time I am close to the reel time spend and I don't loose money.
When I was younger, many times I sold a work for one day or two, and at the end I spend 5 or 10 days !!! ... Now, I give a high price, if the the job goes well and fast, I reduce the price. It's more easy to work this way.

It's the first time I did archi and the last time too. :/ Of course, it's not always like this, but I know now that Archi is not what I like to do.

I really enjoyed to work with Kray (very good renderer, fast, very good antialiasing, easy to learn). I keep my copy :) Perfect for archi !!
I just hope it will be open for other jobs ( I did a commercial for Bosch - I rendered a Washing-machine in full 3D with Kray ):) Too much features are missing for VFX !!

I am keeping an eye on Kray just in case.
;)
mk
jure

Post by jure »

mk wrote: I really enjoyed to work with Kray (very good renderer, fast, very good antialiasing, easy to learn). I keep my copy :) Perfect for archi !!
I just hope it will be open for other jobs ( I did a commercial for Bosch - I rendered a Washing-machine in full 3D with Kray ):) Too much features are missing for VFX !!

I am keeping an eye on Kray just in case.
;)
mk
Please let us know what features you are missing. Users feedback is very important to us when planing future development!
Thanks,
- Jure
geo_n

Post by geo_n »

I tried kray to render non archi stuff for compositing in a cg commercial and first thing that didn't work for me was surface density and constant value which I need for compositing layers in AE. So I went back to lw F9.
inakito

Post by inakito »

Are there any images from your project?
I am just curios about the quality but 1000 Euros per view is sounds good enough...
Cheers
Alexos

Re:

Post by Alexos »

jure wrote:Yes, I found it best to find your hourly rate and then try to estimate time you'll need for the project. None of my clients wants to hear "we will charge you x EUR/h". They want fixed price per project.

I found this website very useful to determine what my hourly price is:

http://freelanceswitch.com/rates/
Err. Yeah, well, I might have done something wrong but according to that site I should charge $350 per hour - so the typical smallish project, let's say 6 hours for the model, 4 hours for surfacing and stuff would cost $3.500. A job like the one I've just finished, which took about 8 full working days would be around, oh... $16k. That's mid-1990s rates, I don't think my clients would like that! Would be nice though, I could retire in five or six years.

ADP.
Mario

Post by Mario »

Anyone knows what are prices in Slovenia?
I must give an offer for a possible client.
Small residential house, around 150m2, 1 storey, 5 exterior views.
Was thinking around 800€...
Jure:?:
jure

Post by jure »

Mario wrote:Anyone knows what are prices in Slovenia?
I must give an offer for a possible client.
Small residential house, around 150m2, 1 storey, 5 exterior views.
Was thinking around 800€...
Jure:?:
Sounds about right to me...
- Jure
Mario

Post by Mario »

Well I got rejected.
They found someone that will do the job, cheaper
Damn! :evil: