animation question

Post your tutorials and help questions in this forum
jdomingo

animation question

Post by jdomingo »

Hi i have some animation question below, please help thanks.

1. what is the "good enough" resolution for an animation? not too low but not too high also.
2. after saving the GI data on the first render pass, can i save and close the scene and used that data the next day ?
3. i didnt see much difference on rendering time after GI data was saved. i have 14minute per frame during saving GI data render pass and only 13 minute on the final pass. what do you think i have done wrong or is that normal? my calculation for a 900 frame animation with 13 minute per frame render time would be 8 days, which is ridiculous.
4. any other tips on doing animation.

thank you all.
jure

Re: animation question

Post by jure »

jdomingo wrote:Hi i have some animation question below, please help thanks.

1. what is the "good enough" resolution for an animation? not too low but not too high also.
It depends on what your clients wants. The usual resolutions are DVD PAL or NTSC and HD 720p. If your output it web then it can be anything else.
jdomingo wrote:2. after saving the GI data on the first render pass, can i save and close the scene and used that data the next day ?
Yes.
jdomingo wrote:3. i didnt see much difference on rendering time after GI data was saved. i have 14minute per frame during saving GI data render pass and only 13 minute on the final pass. what do you think i have done wrong or is that normal? my calculation for a 900 frame animation with 13 minute per frame render time would be 8 days, which is ridiculous.
It can happen if FG is not the one using most of the rendering time. So for example if you have lots of reflections/refractions that can use most of the time and caching GI will not help much in this case. 8 days on a single CPU is completely normal for 900 frames.
jdomingo wrote:4. any other tips on doing animation. thank you all.
Use render farm! Check garagefarm.net for good prices and good support.
- Jure
jdomingo

Post by jdomingo »

thanks jure, one more question, is SCREAMERNET compatible with KRAY?
jure

Post by jure »

jdomingo wrote:thanks jure, one more question, is SCREAMERNET compatible with KRAY?
yes.
- Jure
fabian-pok

Post by fabian-pok »

Hi jdomingo,

If you want to use screamernet, you might wanna consider a distributed render solution. Because screamernet is not very stable to use. I use kray on a 10 unit renderfarm wich is run by BNR for allready 2 years.

I had days when I left my renderfarm to render (with screamernet only) and after one hour I saw that more than half of the nodes had crashed... Always setting up all plugins and stuff on each node is quite time consuming work. I use BNR (butterflynetrender) but there are several good programs that helps you with the renderfarm. For example if you have to render a still for print of 10000 on 10000 pixels you can let your "distributed render solution" split up the shot in 128 slices and let every node render 1 slice (with Kray).

Greetz,

Fabian
jdomingo

Post by jdomingo »

to Jure and POK

thanks to all your answer and suggestions. yup probably i will need to get a renderfarm in the future. now i have to deal with my single pc and impress my boss first.
azman_821009

Post by azman_821009 »

jure wrote:
jdomingo wrote:thanks jure, one more question, is SCREAMERNET compatible with KRAY?
yes.

I've same question for this. How about the RENDERQ in LW? It's compatible with Kray?
jure

Post by jure »

azman_821009 wrote:
jure wrote:
yes.

I've same question for this. How about the RENDERQ in LW? It's compatible with Kray?
Last time I tried renderQ it had a bug that prevented Kray to continue rendering next frames. I haven't checked if this was fixed in LW10 or no yet.
- Jure
thomas

Post by thomas »

13 minutes a frame sounds like very little time for flickerfree GI-rendered animation! Lucky you!
azman_821009

Post by azman_821009 »

Hi guys,

I've some problem with alpha channel in Kray rendered. I am not familiar with alpha channel but usually in native LW I will save in 2 separate file name for the animation - RGB (TIFF24) & Alpha (TIFF32). In native LW, alpha channel will be a black & white image but when I tried to rendered in Kray it's not show as B&W image otherwise it show as RGB. Actually I don't know how to explain that but hope some of you guys know what I meant by that.

Thanks.
jure

Post by jure »

azman_821009 wrote:Hi guys,

I've some problem with alpha channel in Kray rendered. I am not familiar with alpha channel but usually in native LW I will save in 2 separate file name for the animation - RGB (TIFF24) & Alpha (TIFF32). In native LW, alpha channel will be a black & white image but when I tried to rendered in Kray it's not show as B&W image otherwise it show as RGB. Actually I don't know how to explain that but hope some of you guys know what I meant by that.

Thanks.
Did you add KRayBuffers plugin and select "Alpha" from the list?
- Jure
azman_821009

Post by azman_821009 »

jure wrote:
azman_821009 wrote:Hi guys,

Thanks.
Did you add KRayBuffers plugin and select "Alpha" from the list?
It was still a same.
jure

Post by jure »

You must be doing something wrong. Post your scene file here (just .lws) and I'll take a look.
- Jure