problems with the RC5

Post your tutorials and help questions in this forum
fabian-pok

problems with the RC5

Post by fabian-pok »

Hey Guys,

I upgraded to RC5 (from 4) and I have:

1. no problems on mac UB and pc 64bit, but same scenes fail during load on the BNR farm. (hard crash of LWSN.exe during load, LWTOOLS.dll fail) Local F10 renders + F9 no problems

Solution: downgraded every engine back to RC4 (20 cluster farm...been busy for a day)

2. sometimes the scene on mac UB and pc 64 bit is 50 times longer. ( also mentioned in a threat this week...) After like a lightwave or kray crash or after stopping kray with rendering. (hitting ESC)

Solution: reboot hole system, seemes to have to do with swap and temp files or downgraded every engine back to RC4

This seemes to happen also with older scenes or just simpel raytrace scene with a box in... so it's NOT scene related. We work with mac UB, 32 bit Xp and 64 bit server XP, so it's NOT OS related.

Greetz,

Fabian
jure

Re: problems with the RC5

Post by jure »

fabian-POK wrote:Hey Guys,

I upgraded to RC5 (from 4) and I have:

1. no problems on mac UB and pc 64bit, but same scenes fail during load on the BNR farm. (hard crash of LWSN.exe during load, LWTOOLS.dll fail) Local F10 renders + F9 no problems

Solution: downgraded every engine back to RC4 (20 cluster farm...been busy for a day)

2. sometimes the scene on mac UB and pc 64 bit is 50 times longer. ( also mentioned in a threat this week...) After like a lightwave or kray crash or after stopping kray with rendering. (hitting ESC)

Solution: reboot hole system, seemes to have to do with swap and temp files or downgraded every engine back to RC4

This seemes to happen also with older scenes or just simpel raytrace scene with a box in... so it's NOT scene related. We work with mac UB, 32 bit Xp and 64 bit server XP, so it's NOT OS related.

Greetz,

Fabian

As for your 1.st problem (BNR crashes): Most likely the problem is because of LWSN bug that crashes when warning in script is raised. To overcome this problem save all scenes with the same Kray version as you have installed on farm.

2nd problem: it could be due to some differencies between kray versions although I have never seen anything like this before. Try resaving everything with latest Kray and see if then the problem is fixed.
- Jure
fabian-pok

Post by fabian-pok »

Hi Jure,

We've taken the master cluster computer apart from the system and upgraded kray to RC5. We made a scene with a box in, no kray setup, no extra's, just a box with a raytrace spot on it, on the lightwave on this computer. This scene works with F9 and F10 rendering kray with an output loaction on this farm. We've shut down lightwave, fired up BNR, added the scene and it fails to load. (LWSN.exe crashes) The scene doesn't give a version warning in lightwave since its been made in RC5.

The second problem is the same that is mentioned in the other threat this day.

I try tomorrow without BNR, directly with lightwave screamernet.
jure

Post by jure »

fabian-POK wrote:Hi Jure,

We've taken the master cluster computer apart from the system and upgraded kray to RC5. We made a scene with a box in, no kray setup, no extra's, just a box with a raytrace spot on it, on the lightwave on this computer. This scene works with F9 and F10 rendering kray with an output loaction on this farm. We've shut down lightwave, fired up BNR, added the scene and it fails to load. (LWSN.exe crashes) The scene doesn't give a version warning in lightwave since its been made in RC5.

The warning can come on BNR (LWSN) because it can be using an older version of kray scripts. I have seen this happening before and it has been reported to newtek. Suppsedly it has been fixed in 9.6.1 but i haven't tested that yet.
- Jure
jaxtone

Post by jaxtone »

I get no warnings it just stop it´s activation. Meaning that the render screen is either totally black and nothing happends.

The strange thing is that if I shut Kray down and make another render it works ok... so in it´s best it´s a 50% chance that I can see any action at all in Kray!

If I add lights without any "inverse distance" for example inside a building Kray stops working. If I delete these lights Kray works ok again! This wasn´t the behavior in earlier version before RC5, there it was optional how I made my light settings.

P.S. I´ve found that if I have been working in Lightwave for a while the KRAY stops rendering. If I shut down Lightwave and re-open it KRAY starts work again, "but for a while only"!
erwin zwart

Post by erwin zwart »

fabian-POK wrote:Hi Jure,

Please send this scene to me, I have been rendering with kray on my BNR farm with several internal beta's inbetween RC4 and RC5 (not to mention many many kray versions before LW9.6 made kray rendering possible as a Extrenderer plugin).

btw switching between kray versions is normally not a big task in BNR, you could even make rendergroups using different versions on the networkshare.
I normally just swap the kray.p (when there are no big changes like now with the RC's), so I wonder why it took you a whole day. All my nodes just use one shared BNR dir as BNR installs it per default.
jaxtone

Post by jaxtone »

Here´s another bug or error worm in Kray, at least in my version of RC5.

When I change the "Exposure" in "Physical Sky" (Not the Turbidity) this setting dissapears if I close Lightwave and the open it again. When open Lightwave again the Exposure is set to "null" "zero" "nada"... :?:
fabian-pok

Post by fabian-pok »

Hey Jure,

Solved the first problem, the shared plugin directory of BNR was readonly. BNR kept on using the old .ls files and not the new .lsc files. So it was the problem you said in the beginning. :oops: ("Most likely the problem is because of LWSN bug that crashes when warning in script is raised") It's funny, been using kray since rc1 and it's the first time with an update that it happened.

The second problem we have has as we think something to do with kray instancing. The kray rendering slows down after some objects are deleted in the scene or some are hidden from rendering. Kray does raycache on other objects that he doesn't need to do. We tried to delete the objects which he used and then put them back in the scene and the scene rendered at normal speed. I can't send you the scenes which had the problem (studio policy) But I'm still looking to solve that one. (mailed G about it)

We have 4 mac's, 1 pc and the cluster which are all in use, so it's sometimes hard to get the people of the machines to adjust software. And I also have deadline this week...

Thx,

Fabian
jure

Post by jure »

fabian-POK wrote:Hey Jure,

Solved the first problem, the shared plugin directory of BNR was readonly. BNR kept on using the old .ls files and not the new .lsc files. So it was the problem you said in the beginning. :oops: ("Most likely the problem is because of LWSN bug that crashes when warning in script is raised") It's funny, been using kray since rc1 and it's the first time with an update that it happened.

The second problem we have has as we think something to do with kray instancing. The kray rendering slows down after some objects are deleted in the scene or some are hidden from rendering. Kray does raycache on other objects that he doesn't need to do. We tried to delete the objects which he used and then put them back in the scene and the scene rendered at normal speed. I can't send you the scenes which had the problem (studio policy) But I'm still looking to solve that one. (mailed G about it)

We have 4 mac's, 1 pc and the cluster which are all in use, so it's sometimes hard to get the people of the machines to adjust software. And I also have deadline this week...

Thx,

Fabian
The only think that comes to my mind is that you may be using F9 instead of Kray render frame/anim. F9 by default won't save scene before rendering so it may cause problems you are describing. If this is not it then i suggest you record video or make screenshots that describe your problem. Also add logfile 'kraylog.txt' and debug -1 to header commands and send us the log.
- Jure
fabian-pok

Post by fabian-pok »

Hi Jure,

Sorry that it took long to reply, was a bit busy here in POK.

For the kray instancing, I received an updated version of the kray man.

But I also found that in the scenes were the problem is, the animators in modeler trashed layers, represented then in layout by a null object, caused the instances to random take the wrong object (layer) to instance. Because some of the layers are very high in polys, that caused for a huge delay in rendering or wrong instancing of objects (layers)

The result is in the attachment.
copyright PostOrgasmicKitchen
copyright PostOrgasmicKitchen