Physical sky setting

Post your tutorials and help questions in this forum
geo_n

Physical sky setting

Post by geo_n »

Is there an easier way to control the direction of the physical sun like in the viewport where we can see where it is pointing at?
Also is there a way to make soft shadows for the physical sky sunlight so we can have white cloudy day and soft shadows? Turning up turbidity softens shadows but also turns the sunlight too yellowish.
jure

Re: Physical sky setting

Post by jure »

geo_n wrote:Is there an easier way to control the direction of the physical sun like in the viewport where we can see where it is pointing at?
Without writing a special script for it, no. You can use any LW light though and turn off kray physical sky sun.
geo_n wrote:Also is there a way to make soft shadows for the physical sky sunlight so we can have white cloudy day and soft shadows? Turning up turbidity softens shadows but also turns the sunlight too yellowish.
Hmm again, without modifying script no. Here's the basic physky script with which you can play with if you want...
Attachments
physky.txt
(1.09 KiB) Downloaded 300 times
- Jure
vpii

Post by vpii »

I really like the feature in Maxwell for there Physical sky system. It is very similar to what you have done in Kray just there is a Direction pull down menu. It let you choose track from location (what we have now) and track object. Most of the time in Maxwell I setup sunlight in lightwave as normal then track that light to get same lighting and shadow. It would be great in Kray had this option.
Attachments
light.jpg
jure

Post by jure »

vpii wrote:I really like the feature in Maxwell for there Physical sky system. It is very similar to what you have done in Kray just there is a Direction pull down menu. It let you choose track from location (what we have now) and track object. Most of the time in Maxwell I setup sunlight in lightwave as normal then track that light to get same lighting and shadow. It would be great in Kray had this option.
Yes we have it on to-do list.
- Jure
geo_n

Post by geo_n »

Thanks jure.
How about a way to animate the time and direction? With dponts sunsky it was possible to animate. WIll this be on the to do list? :mrgreen:
jure

Post by jure »

geo_n wrote:Thanks jure.
How about a way to animate the time and direction? With dponts sunsky it was possible to animate. WIll this be on the to do list? :mrgreen:
Yes. :)
- Jure
geo_n

Post by geo_n »

Physical sun doesn't bounce gi in interiors?
When using direct light or area light for sun with dpont sunsky, the light has more bounce inside because of photon multiplier maybe.
When using physicalsky it looks very dark and only very sharp light is there but minimal bounce.
geo_n

Post by geo_n »

Not sure if its a bug. If I set turbidity to less than 1 or exposure to less than 2.2 in sky panel, kray does wierd things and calculates gi wrong.
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

geo_n wrote:Not sure if its a bug. If I set turbidity to less than 1 or exposure to less than 2.2 in sky panel, kray does wierd things and calculates gi wrong.
Minimum for tubity is 2.0, but I don`t know: this is bug or no. If You wont stronger blue from physky, try full day setup or turn OFF Physky Sun.
salv8or

Post by salv8or »

Sorry for droping in like this, but is Krays physical sky north the same as sunspot motion modifier in lightwave, then one can always use that as a reference for where the sun position is. But then I dont know if they match. I guess that Jure can pop in to confirm.
jure

Post by jure »

salv8or wrote:Sorry for droping in like this, but is Krays physical sky north the same as sunspot motion modifier in lightwave, then one can always use that as a reference for where the sun position is. But then I dont know if they match. I guess that Jure can pop in to confirm.
Yep, Kray physky was developed so that it matches LW Sunspot exactly.
- Jure
bigstick

Post by bigstick »

geo_n wrote:Turning up turbidity softens shadows but also turns the sunlight too yellowish.
Can't you apply a tonemapper to the physical sky (desaturate for example) to remove the yellow?
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

bigstick wrote:
geo_n wrote:Turning up turbidity softens shadows but also turns the sunlight too yellowish.
Can't you apply a tonemapper to the physical sky (desaturate for example) to remove the yellow?

We have in the plan update Physky behaviour. Physky is tool which You have to use, becouse this plugin is prepared especially for Kray (better and fast GI, better translusency, etc) We know about some limits in Physky but in this point this tool is the best for enviroment light.
jure

Post by jure »

bigstick wrote:
Yes Jim, as you know it's possible via kray script... We will probably add some modifiers to GUI in future updates.
- Jure
dballesg_forum

Post by dballesg_forum »

jure wrote:
salv8or wrote:Sorry for droping in like this, but is Krays physical sky north the same as sunspot motion modifier in lightwave, then one can always use that as a reference for where the sun position is. But then I dont know if they match. I guess that Jure can pop in to confirm.
Yep, Kray physky was developed so that it matches LW Sunspot exactly.
Hi,

I told Jure on Skype I was trying to match the Sun on a xStream Scene with the Simple Exterior scene. Becuase xStream doesn't have a Sun Spot modifier i wrote my own Python Script to do it. It doesn't match Lightwave Sun Spot Modifier (and maybe it's due to a difference on the calculations).

My surprise came when I tried the Kray Physical Sky and the Sun Spot Modifier on the Simple Exterior scene and the don't match. Look to the attached screens.

David
Attachments
VueHelios.jpg
SunSpotNotMatch.jpg