Strange artifacts

Post your tutorials and help questions in this forum
daug

Strange artifacts

Post by daug »

Hi all,

First of all, I'd like to say that the info on this forum has been very helpful in teaching me how to use this render engine.

Here is an old scene that I did in Lw6. Can anyone explain what these artifacts are? The scene mostly (if not completely) single sided quads. It is lit with an area light and luminous polys outside the windows. I used 10 bounces and full screen grid AA. I can provide more info if needed. Thanks in advance :)
Attachments
test-livingroom.jpg
test-livingroom.jpg (71.98 KiB) Viewed 7102 times
jure

Post by jure »

I think this is a bug related to using "Both" gi mode and/or undersample..
Try without any undersampla and do not use both for rendering stills.

let me know if it helps...
cheers!
- Jure
daug

No luck...

Post by daug »

Hi Jure,

Thanks for the reply. Here is a render with undersampling turned off showing the same problems. Actually I turned off AA completely also. Any ideas?

Oh, and to piggyback on my own thread, how do you get your images to be so bright and vivid? I'm having problems getting secondary bounces to brighten up the room. When I turn up the lights or multiplier, the light coming through the windows is way too strong. When I adjust gamma, it washed out the image (see the image posted. The black chair isn't black). I'd love to hear some of your tips :)
Attachments
test-livingroom2.jpg
test-livingroom2.jpg (73.52 KiB) Viewed 7019 times
jure

Post by jure »

Did u make sure you're not using "Both" for GI mode?
Also sometimes bad UV's can be producing such artifacts (overlaping uv's...).
- Jure
phile_forum

Post by phile_forum »

Are you using any HDRIs in the scene? I have seen artifacts like that occasionally and they have usually been down to using a texture that has an HDRI as an evironment map (they get in by accident some times when I use a stock texture).

Phil
daug

Post by daug »

Jure,

By GI mode, do you mean the settings for the GI file. If yes, I have it set to load. The only UV map is on the sectional couch.

Phile,

I checked and there are no HDRI's in the scene
jure

Post by jure »

Yes that's what I meant. Try without using GI file or switch it to "Save".
- Jure
daug

Post by daug »

I just switched it, rendered, and the same problem happens :(
jure

Post by jure »

Hmm strange... Try removing kray from scene, reloading scene and try again. It's probably some weird bug though so if you can track it down it would be very helpful. I suspect it's related to surface settings. You can make all surfaces default gray and see if that fixes problem.
- Jure
daug

Post by daug »

Hi Jure,

When I get get some more time tonight, I'll try to track down what's causing the problem. This is an old scene that used to have shaders and other surface options, so that might be the cause.

In the meantime, how do get the brightness of an interior up without washing out the image or having extreme bright spots where the sun comes in? I'm having difficulty achieving this with an area light and luminous polys outside the windows. I've tried even putting up the multiplier to 4, but then the sunlight gets rediculously bright where it hits the floor.

Thanks for the info!
jure

Post by jure »

Currently there are two ways you can go around this. One is to render to HDR and in expose your image properly in PS or similar.
The other is as you tried allready, with multiplier. Don't be afraid to go high with multiplier... even to 10 or more. You'll need to bring down the sun alot though. And if it's too dark bring up the sky more since most brightness you'll get from windows sky.

In next Kray version you'll also have the ability to use HSV Exponential and Linear exposure modes so this will simplify things.
- Jure
daug

found the problem object I think....

Post by daug »

I removed the glass from the french door and the windows and the black splotches went away. hmm.....

I'll have to look into why the glass is doing that. Any ideas?
Attachments
test-livingroom3.jpg
test-livingroom3.jpg (92.79 KiB) Viewed 7029 times
silverlw

Post by silverlw »

Could you hand the scene over so we could try it in latest beta and se if your glasproblems persists? I think this problem is solved as soon as the new version is released so there might be waste of time to find a workaround.
Could you zip it and send the scene to crapmess@bredband.net ? Then i can try it and tell you if this issue is solved or not, if not then Grzegorz can do something about it.
daug

Post by daug »

Hi silverlw,

I know it's kinda a noob question, but is there a way to packup the scene into one directory? Right now there is content accross a couple of different libraries and drives. It would be difficult to get it all.
jure

Post by jure »

You can use content manager (under file menu in layout) and select consolidate only.

There's also an app that does exporting alot better than Lw's content manager... It's called WI-exporter (http://www.the-worms-of-art.com/Product ... _User.html).
- Jure