kray calculates unseen by camera objects

Post your tutorials and help questions in this forum
geo_n

kray calculates unseen by camera objects

Post by geo_n »

Possible bug or kray limitation? I'm trying to animate an interior with a moving object and setting the interior unseen by camera kray is taking long to render(not as long as a full render) and even does an AA pass on the interior like the walls and hidden fixtures,etc which is supposed to be unseen by camera. kray seems to process unseen objects when I only want to render the visible objects. A typical renderer(lw,vray) would skip unseen objects. Is this a bug? I tried it before in the beta release and didn't think anything about it that time.
geo_n

Re: kray calculates unseen by camera objects

Post by geo_n »

please take a look at video. video is long pls be patient :mrgreen: . kray is calculating unseen objects especially obvious in AApass. I forgot to check "show samples". The lw render at the end doesn't take time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyyfOzxFaDw
joreldraw

Post by joreldraw »

I think this is a bug. I too see this problem, but is not unsee by camera. is something related with animation and camera.
I have 1 animation too and sometimes i experiment that the computation of camera path take over 20 mins. If you move your frame slider some times and render a individual frame and later the animation can fix this bug. But later come back

I check this, and usually the camera path is done in 5-10 sec and when happen this bug go up to 20mins.

In my animation i dont have checked unsee by camera but have some objects with disolve animated. Btw i think the bug is in transparency or in excluding objects from the render
geo_n

Post by geo_n »

joreldraw wrote:I think this is a bug. I too see this problem, but is not unsee by camera. is something related with animation and camera.
I have 1 animation too and sometimes i experiment that the computation of camera path take over 20 mins. If you move your frame slider some times and render a individual frame and later the animation can fix this bug. But later come back

I check this, and usually the camera path is done in 5-10 sec and when happen this bug go up to 20mins.

In my animation i dont have checked unsee by camera but have some objects with disolve animated. Btw i think the bug is in transparency or in excluding objects from the render
If you use dissolve then reflection,lighting/shadow from unseen objects are lost. So this is not good for vfx work.
jure

Post by jure »

Unseen by camera means that only camera rays will be ignored. All other rays will still "see" the object. About anti-aliasing: it's marking edges of unseen geometry because you have Normal and Zon sampling tab >0. This means it will search for all edges (even those unseen by camera). We could turn this off if you want but I don't think it's a big deal since it's going to take just a fraction of time to antialias those borders.

About slow "computing global PM" - this may be a bug but we need the scene to test this.
- Jure
geo_n

Post by geo_n »

thanks jure, I will try to send a scene. But basically its typical interior with moving object only seen and others unseen.
With AA I think it should be off for unseen objects. What if the unseen object is very complicated then AA pass would try to find all those edges.
This bug is important for character work since usually bg and character are rendered separate.
geo_n

Post by geo_n »

Hi jure, I attached a scene. Please check lw file unseen and kray unseen.
I render box in lw for 10sec and kray nearly 50 sec. Kray calculates unseen objects. Render time scales up sometimes even worse ratio like in previous test it was times ten render time for kray. Hope this gets fixed soon :mrgreen:
Attachments
Gi-Box-Area_tg_FG1.rar
(62.36 KiB) Downloaded 174 times
geo_n

Post by geo_n »

there's another very big bug with unseen. An object with bones will be rendered even if set to unseen. :evil:
Last edited by geo_n on Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jure

Post by jure »

geo_n wrote:there's another very big bug with unseen. An object with bones will be rendered even if set to unseen. :evil:
Yes this has already been reported. It will be fixed in next release.
- Jure