blurry reflections lw vs kray.

Post your tutorials and help questions in this forum
geo_n

blurry reflections lw vs kray.

Post by geo_n »

Ok someone posted a test scene at newtek to see how fast blurry reflection in kray is. I test the file but can't get the noise to dissappear with good render time. kraysurface shader with control reflection 200-600 a lot of some noise.
lw render time was 25min on qc6600 in scene attached. kray is around 15min same attached. How to improve render time and quality? :mrgreen:

Attachments
blurtest.zip
(138.96 KiB) Downloaded 198 times
Janusz Biela

Re: blurry reflections lw vs kray.

Post by Janusz Biela »

:shock: very heavy scene ( :D some cubic but this scene can put render on the knee...)
5:30 min time render 8 core CPU.
Attachments
cornell_refl.png
geo_n

Post by geo_n »

so what is conclusion? lw blurry reflection faster in lw than kray. I think that's not possible. I'm sure there's technique to make it fast. :mrgreen:
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

geo_n wrote:so what is conclusion? lw blurry reflection faster in lw than kray. I think that's not possible. I'm sure there's technique to make it fast. :mrgreen:
This is only raytracing test. Please check this scene with FG in LW....I thing you recive bigger difference in time renders. Blurr is blurr always hard to render.
Pheidian

Post by Pheidian »

Geo: I think the conclusion is: LW render on quadcore (4 cores) 25 minutes. in 8 core with Kray, 5.30... so in quadcore it would be 11 minutes... you do the math which one is faster... :D
geo_n

Post by geo_n »

Johny_quick wrote:
geo_n wrote:so what is conclusion? lw blurry reflection faster in lw than kray. I think that's not possible. I'm sure there's technique to make it fast. :mrgreen:
This is only raytracing test. Please check this scene with FG in LW....I thing you recive bigger difference in time renders. Blurr is blurr always hard to render.
yep tested this scene with toby on render test for animation gi. kray was indeed faster. but I mentioned to him that blurry reflection is also faster in kray. But this scene I dont get why lw is faster. :mrgreen:
geo_n

Post by geo_n »

Pheidian wrote:Geo: I think the conclusion is: LW render on quadcore (4 cores) 25 minutes. in 8 core with Kray, 5.30... so in quadcore it would be 11 minutes... you do the math which one is faster... :D
yep my test was quad core on that scene.
lw 25 min
kray 15min. (not so clean render)

where did you get 11minutes? you can't multiply johnys result twice to have the same effect as a quadcore. the clockspeed of my quad and his 8core is likely different. So maybe if johny renders it in lw its faster than my quad too. Its not going to be lw 13 min according to your 8core/4core math. :P
Anyway I'm just looking at the file why lw can render in in 25 min while kray in 15 min is noisy. So maybe there's a setting to change.
I did get as clean as the lw render but I had to use kraysurface ref 200-1000. And that rendered more than 40min. :mrgreen:
geo_n

Post by geo_n »

Johny_quick wrote::shock: very heavy scene ( :D some cubic but this scene can put render on the knee...)
5:30 min time render 8 core CPU.
This looks cleaner than my test in kray. Can you post scene so I can test time in qc6600?
_mats_

Post by _mats_ »

I would have to give this test a spin.

BUT, from my own perception, after many projects on LW, Modo and Kray, I can definitely say that Kray is the fastest among those programs HANDS DOWN
geo_n

Post by geo_n »

In my experience too. kray was always faster especially with blurry reflection. Maybe if its only raytrace blur lightwave is faster.
So I hope johny can post a tweak file so we can see how to optimize kray more.
jure

Post by jure »

Your test scene is setup in a strange way. But still I don't know where did you get idea that LW is faster than Kray? There is a bug in RC4 that renders reflections slower than it should but it's still faster than LW... Anyways here's my test with reflection bug fixed. You can see 3times faster render with better quality...
Attachments
Cornell_refl_blur_01_v001.lws
scene - wait for RC5 to get correct render time
(27.58 KiB) Downloaded 191 times
lw18min.jpg
lw18min.jpg (43.1 KiB) Viewed 5798 times
kray00005.png
kray00005.png (76.84 KiB) Viewed 5801 times
- Jure
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

:wink: I thing 50% faster is creazy time ...but 3 times :shock:
geo_n

Post by geo_n »

thanks jure for testing. toby set the scene up. I renderer you scene. 8 min noisy. So its a bug in rc4.
Attachments
kray.jpg