DEMO??

General disscusion about Kray
direwolf

Post by direwolf »

Florian has made two video's of showing what YOU can achieve with Kray.

He shows just opening a scene and press the medium preset and render. That is what everybody can produce. The quality of the scene counts more for the final image then tweaking all the complex settings in kray.

Although Kray has no magic make-it-pretty button, it has some good presets then can perform very good results. These results are more then good enough for most clients.

I'll have to look up the link to florians one-button-magic videos.
MrFurious

Post by MrFurious »

[/quote]
Well, by someone that was on beta maybe? There were a lot of betas and release candidates of maxwell, but were for customers only, pretty much like kray.

Once they released, then they made a demo available that had watermarks and limited resolution to 800x600. I'm not aware if maxwell had any special preview pre-release versions for big companies, but even if they did, that hardly counts as a public demo.[/quote]

Yep was an RC, my mistake.
direwolf

Post by direwolf »

acidarrow

Post by acidarrow »

Here's an idea.

If you have a scene you can share, you could post it here and one of us could render it with kray report the steps he took and rendertimes etc.

Assuming your scene has proper materials and doesn't need a lot of tweaking it would be pretty easy for someone to do and you'll get to see what kray can do for your projects.
Last edited by acidarrow on Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrFurious

Post by MrFurious »

Direwolf wrote:Florian has made two video's of showing what YOU can achieve with Kray.

He shows just opening a scene and press the medium preset and render. That is what everybody can produce. The quality of the scene counts more for the final image then tweaking all the complex settings in kray.

Although Kray has no magic make-it-pretty button, it has some good presets then can perform very good results. These results are more then good enough for most clients.

I'll have to look up the link to florians one-button-magic videos.
That is indeed usefull if all my projects, scenes and objects look just like those in the videos, and I'm using the exact same pc-specs as the ones used in those scenes.
MrFurious

Post by MrFurious »

AcidArrow wrote:Here's an idea.

If you have a scene you can share, you could post it here and one of us could render it with kray report the steps he took and rendertimes etc.

Assuming your scene has proper materials and doesn't need a lot of tweaking it would be pretty easy for someone to do and you'll get to see what kray can do for your projects.
No kidding, someone here would do that??
acidarrow

Post by acidarrow »

We render other people's scenes for testing purposes all the time. So yeah sure why not...?
MrFurious

Post by MrFurious »

AcidArrow wrote:We render other people's scenes for testing purposes all the time. So yeah sure why not...?
I'm currently on a project I hope to have finished in 2-3 days...I'd love to see what you guys can do with it in Kray! I usually only use basic materials ie: no nodes just classic surfacing with no shader plugins mostly gradients for effects. Clipmaps for trees & I do use the new Advanced Cam in LWv9. IF that's all fine by you I can be back here in a few days to post something.
3dworks

Post by 3dworks »

MrFurious wrote:Acid- are you sure about the Maxwell V1.0 because I'm sure I saw a pre 1.o version being used at work..?
there was no free demo of maxwell before 1.0. but probably there where some cracked and leaked betas around, sure... btw., did you ever see an open beta of fprime?

sooo, just be patient - or take the plunge... ;)

btw. i can really say that the current OB (released for all those who bought a license) simply rocks!! :D

cheers

markus
acidarrow

Post by acidarrow »

MrFurious wrote:
AcidArrow wrote:We render other people's scenes for testing purposes all the time. So yeah sure why not...?
I'm currently on a project I hope to have finished in 2-3 days...I'd love to see what you guys can do with it in Kray! I usually only use basic materials ie: no nodes just classic surfacing with no shader plugins mostly gradients for effects. Clipmaps for trees & I do use the new Advanced Cam in LWv9. IF that's all fine by you I can be back here in a few days to post something.
Well yeah sure, post it here and someone will probably be interested enough to render it with kray. I know I am.
phile_forum

Post by phile_forum »

Looks like you have a tough decision to make. You like Kray but not enough to jump in and buy it before you've tested the latest version. This is entirely reasonable. However, it is clear there is not going to be a demo before 1.7 comes out of beta, and then the price will go up.

So you gotta decide: do you want Kray enough to buy it now, or are you willing to wait for a demo & then pay more when the pre-release price goes up to the release price?

That's just the way it is.

Now, I do 3D freelance for a living & I have to justify every purchase I make in terms of how it will benefit my business prospects. I saw enough potential in the 1.612 demo to hand over my money & I have to say I do not regret that decision for an instant. Yes, it was a bit of a punt to back a piece of beta software, but I was impressed - and Kray has not let me down.

Phil

P.S. I have no connection with the Kray development team, other than being a satisfied customer.
Planet Indifferent - CGI by Phil Emery
http://www.planetindifferent.co.uk
walfridson

Post by walfridson »

MrFurious wrote:Well I guess that settles it ;)

Demo please.
tss just a tip...
skype walfridson
direwolf

Post by direwolf »

Same here. Just a satisfied customer.

As a side comment i want to add: Kray is the only integrated alternative renderer for LightWave. Fprime produces fairly similar results as LightWave. Besides LW-Final Gather and Monte-Carlo (or Fprime) you have no other options then exporting your scene.

I've played with fryrender demo too, and it does a much better conversion of your textures then maxwell did for me. But even fryrender is not as interactive/integrated as Kray. You always have to convert your materials and tweak them even further.

While with Kray and LightWave you just can press either renderbutton. And therefore setup a scene and choose withever one or both you want to use.

Besides all that, always reflect your work to the work of others and not your rendersoftware and plugins versus theirs. In my opinion most modern software can preduce equal qualityrenders. It's the artist that makes the picture and not the software.

Lookup Otacons renders at newtekforums, he's one of the best out there if you ask me. Johnny_quick posted some great images on this forum too, but those contain hardly any modeling (most are 3dmax scenes, correct me if i'm wrong).. Nothing wrong with that, but Otacon creates his renders from scratch. And therefore a better reference what LightWave can do, and the amount of effort you should put into your renders.
greyward

Post by greyward »

I think asking for a demo/trial is perfectly reasonable. Yes, I know the software isn't "complete" yet, but apparently its finished enough to take our money.

I mean no disrespect for Gregorz; I know enough programming to know how much I don't know, and he's done a remarkable job in creating an alternative renderer for Lightwave. So it is with a heave heart that I say that lack of a demo has cost him my business, at least for now.

Before you grab your pitchforks, hear me out. I had enough money and will to pick up one new bit of software for my 3D work. For a long time I'd been looking at 2 choices: Kray as an addition to Lightwave or Modo. You say Kray has fantastic renders. So does Modo. You say the testimonials of the community should be enough to get me to buy... well, Modo, and for that matter every app out there, has vocal supporters. Now, I'm not saying Modo is better than Kray; they are very different tools. BUT, Modo has an evaluation version. I had to PAY $25 for it (and some admittedly very good training videos) but still at least I had the alternative. So I coughed up the 25... vs Kray's $450 or Modo's $900 it seemed like a paltry ammount to make up my mind. I had a great timee with the Modo trial, so I picked it up.

My point is this: all the supporters in the world, all the render galleries combined, are not worth one single successful render by a potential customer, and they'll never be. You sit and rave about Kray. and how great it is, how much better over version 1.6. Now, if its so great, why can't we see it? Is it an unstable mess you can't show, or a wonderful and functional app that you can sell me and rave about? You can't have it both ways.

Now, my Lightwave copy didn't vaporize the moment I bought Modo, and I can definitely foresee situations where Kray's speed and capacity for interiors would be very useful. Though my wallet is tightly shut for the moment, Kray continues to be an enticing prospect ( I do mostly exterior stills, but interiors and animations do come my way occasionally), and maybe soon I will consider it again. Still, let me story be a warning that getting a demo out there soon might not be such a terrible idea.
Haven1000

Post by Haven1000 »

greyward wrote:I think asking for a demo/trial is perfectly reasonable. Yes, I know the software isn't "complete" yet, but apparently its finished enough to take our money.

I mean no disrespect for Gregorz; I know enough programming to know how much I don't know, and he's done a remarkable job in creating an alternative renderer for Lightwave. So it is with a heave heart that I say that lack of a demo has cost him my business, at least for now.

Before you grab your pitchforks, hear me out. I had enough money and will to pick up one new bit of software for my 3D work. For a long time I'd been looking at 2 choices: Kray as an addition to Lightwave or Modo. You say Kray has fantastic renders. So does Modo. You say the testimonials of the community should be enough to get me to buy... well, Modo, and for that matter every app out there, has vocal supporters. Now, I'm not saying Modo is better than Kray; they are very different tools. BUT, Modo has an evaluation version. I had to PAY $25 for it (and some admittedly very good training videos) but still at least I had the alternative. So I coughed up the 25... vs Kray's $450 or Modo's $900 it seemed like a paltry ammount to make up my mind. I had a great timee with the Modo trial, so I picked it up.

My point is this: all the supporters in the world, all the render galleries combined, are not worth one single successful render by a potential customer, and they'll never be. You sit and rave about Kray. and how great it is, how much better over version 1.6. Now, if its so great, why can't we see it? Is it an unstable mess you can't show, or a wonderful and functional app that you can sell me and rave about? You can't have it both ways.

Now, my Lightwave copy didn't vaporize the moment I bought Modo, and I can definitely foresee situations where Kray's speed and capacity for interiors would be very useful. Though my wallet is tightly shut for the moment, Kray continues to be an enticing prospect ( I do mostly exterior stills, but interiors and animations do come my way occasionally), and maybe soon I will consider it again. Still, let me story be a warning that getting a demo out there soon might not be such a terrible idea.
Was your modo trial a beta version?
"Place your vote now for the Kraydar pixel filter"