Photons Estimate?

Post your tutorials and help questions in this forum
NiGMa

Photons Estimate?

Post by NiGMa »

When Diffuse Model is set to "Photons Estimate" and we SAVE to GI file, does the resolution have to be the same as final output?

So say I did a Photons Estimate render at 800x600, then switched to Photon Mapping and GI file mode to LOAD, made some surfacing tweaks, then changed resolution to 1600x1200, would I have to reSAVE a GI file?

Also, what if I render a different frame? say 300frames after the one where I saved the Photons Estimate GI file. Would it still be doing whatever it is supposed to? How would I know?

Thanks
jure

Re: Photons Estimate?

Post by jure »

NiGMa wrote:When Diffuse Model is set to "Photons Estimate" and we SAVE to GI file, does the resolution have to be the same as final output?
No, photon estimate is resolution independant because it works on photon level not pixel level.
NiGMa wrote: So say I did a Photons Estimate render at 800x600, then switched to Photon Mapping and GI file mode to LOAD, made some surfacing tweaks, then changed resolution to 1600x1200, would I have to reSAVE a GI file?
Well if you only used LOAD mode when doing "photon mapping" then no FG data will be saved to file. So it won't speed up FG rendering pass at all...
NiGMa wrote: Also, what if I render a different frame? say 300frames after the one where I saved the Photons Estimate GI file. Would it still be doing whatever it is supposed to? How would I know?
No. If your working in Lightmap mode you need to turn to photon mapping and press render sequence so that Kray will scrub through the timeline and shoot photons along the camera path.
- Jure
NiGMa

Post by NiGMa »

ok thanks Jure, another question, After saving a Photon Estimate, what tweak to the scene will need a rerender of the photon estimate? I mean, If i change the brightness of a light, or change the colour of the background, or change a surface setting. Which of these will affect the Photon Estimate so that I would have to resave it?

I'm trying to understand what it is doing exactly, because i have noticed before that I will be making some tweaks and nothing is changing in the render, then I realise that im still loading the photon estimate from like 30mins ago so I turn shared frames off and I get the render I expected with the changes i have made.
jure

Post by jure »

NiGMa wrote:ok thanks Jure, another question, After saving a Photon Estimate, what tweak to the scene will need a rerender of the photon estimate? I mean, If i change the brightness of a light, or change the colour of the background, or change a surface setting. Which of these will affect the Photon Estimate so that I would have to resave it?
Well anything you change will affect photon estimation. Except changing camera position in Photonmap mode. Photons bounce around the scene and whatever they hit they take into calculation.
The question is will you notice the change? If you only tweaked surface a little bit than the photon estimation won't look very much different. If you added a light on the other hand it would look quite different.
- Jure
NiGMa

Post by NiGMa »

ok, I get it, thanks again. Youre a machine! =)