2.5 Build 1223 - LW 11.6 BUG with instances

Post your tutorials and help questions in this forum
3dream

2.5 Build 1223 - LW 11.6 BUG with instances

Post by 3dream »

I am new to KRAY so please let me know if there is a more formal way to submit bug reports. Sorry...

In Build 2.5 1223 of Kray in Lightwave 11.6 there seems to be a bug with instances.
If you have lightwave instances setup on a piece of geometry you CANNOT go to the instances tab and uncheck the ON column and KRAY keep from rendering the instances. I use this ON/OFF many times over with LW native render. It saves lot's of time when testing and setting up surfaces.

Work around is to not have the INSTANCER at ALL on the geometry, otherwise KRAY always renders the instances.

Also, tried to UNCHECK in scene editor that piece of geometry that I use for the instancer (layer of points) and that does not keep KR from rendering. Doing this does keep LW from rendering the geometry.

Both of these things might be due to the new SDK changes, not sure. I have not used KR in previous versions.

Thanks for any feedback, workarounds you may have.
Janusz Biela

Re: 2.5 Build 1223 - LW 11.6 BUG with instances

Post by Janusz Biela »

Yes, it is doesn`t works. It will be fixed in K3.
ideart

Post by ideart »

I am using another trick, I am parenting all the objects that I use for instances to a null and I move them out of the camera view (i.e. -100m), so if I want them to be rendered I bring them back to their original place.
sotto3d.com
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

ideart wrote:I am using another trick, I am parenting all the objects that I use for instances to a null and I move them out of the camera view (i.e. -100m), so if I want them to be rendered I bring them back to their original place.
Thanks for the tip! :idea:
Of course we lost a bit time for calculating (depends from scene 10-30 sec/frame) but we do not render them in scene. Also render generally is slower (still photons must be tracked because these objects still exist in scene)....but in the end fast preview works :)