Academic -> Commercial license

General disscusion about Kray
except

Academic -> Commercial license

Post by except »

Hi,

If we can get the errors in my scene worked out, I might have a job to earn some money while using Kray. I have an academic license, so the money should go to oconverting my license. How do I do this, and how much is that?
silverlw

Post by silverlw »

You only need to pay the difference from educational to the full version.
except

Post by except »

Seems that I can't get rid of the white specks and can't get a steady radiosity solution that doesn't flicker in animation no matter what I try.

So, no full kray for me this time.

I've used... everything.
From photon maps of 10.000 to 500.000, N values from 200 to 3000, high FG settings, low ones, Gi resolutions of 1m and of 100mm, time interpolation of 2 frames to 30 frames, no matter what the radiosity solution keeps jittering.

I'm now rendering in LW with insane settings and without caching.

I think the time interpolation mode should be rethought. I wonder why kray doesn't allow rendering of a solution at frame step X and just blend those.
Like, a soluton at frame 1,30,60,90 and 120, and in between just fade from one to the next. That would solve my problem.
If you have suggestions, that'd be great.
Jahun

Post by Jahun »

You may want to check my thread in the help and tutorials part.
Not sure if your unsteadiness is similar to what I had.. but NiGMa's solution worked for me.

Granted, up till now I rendered just 60 frames of a test animation, but those went great and the illumination is very stable over all of them.

ps: the animation was rendered with 3 nodes too, being a Intel Quad and Dual and a AMD dual core.
except

Post by except »

Jahun wrote:You may want to check my thread in the help and tutorials part.
That would indeed have been very useful if my problem was concerning rendering with multiple computers.

My problem concerns just one computer and one object moving thus needing a time interpolation of some kind.
Jahun

Post by Jahun »

Well the suggestion put forward by Direwolf seems some sort of time interval(polation) thing too. Whether rendered by multiple nodes or a single one.

Then still, rendering on 1 pc with Shared for all frames GI file.. the animation is sped up extremely well since it remembers already covered areas. I see no issues, granted I did not try time interval since I think it gives problems too easily. Like perhaps the 2 pass method may give issues too (not necessarily so I guess)

But if you have the time to let LW do it, without caching etc... well.. then a apporximation like Kray makes no sense I guess.

But what do I know.. just got it 2 days.. but I can't imagine letting LW do it.
except

Post by except »

Jahun wrote:Well the suggestion put forward by Direwolf seems some sort of time interval(polation) thing too. Whether rendered by multiple nodes or a single one.
That only works for a static mesh. Direwolf's suggestion is just for making a solid static GI solution.
I've got objects moving.
Then still, rendering on 1 pc with Shared for all frames GI file.. the animation is sped up extremely well since it remembers already covered areas.
Yes, that is a nice feature, that LW also has, but it doesn't work if your lights or objects are moving. Or at least, it works but looks all wrong.
But if you have the time to let LW do it, without caching etc... well.. then a apporximation like Kray makes no sense I guess.
Hm, Lw's frame time was 10 minutes. Kray's frame time was 7 minutes. Lw's radiosity was smoother although there were less contact shadows. But after rendering this for 50 frames, it turned out to be flickering too much too.
But what do I know.. just got it 2 days.. but I can't imagine letting LW do it.
You'll be surprised what you can do with native LW.
In this case, I really wish the time interpolation thing would work well. I wish I knew what that 'extinction' rate did.