Re: KRay 2.0 LScript UI Re-Layout Test

Post by 3dworks »

good work!

cheers

markus
3dworks

Post by 3dworks »

more in depth: i have no problems with size, big is better if readability is better. path and long commandline can finally have more space, that's good. also, having a 'kray2' header makes it easier to identify the dialog within all those layout dialogs.
also the presets position is more logical now...
matt gorner

Post by matt gorner »

This might give an idea of what I imagined the whole 'suite' of plugins could look like, same layout with variations on the banners.

This one could be made smaller actually by doubling up the gadgets and reducing the banner width, but I kept it the same as the previous one, hence the width.

As I said, it's just to give the idea of how the KRay package could be made to look a little more professional, I don't want to step on anybody's toes doing this stuff! :)

I added a location presets popup list too, although, I copied the list of Capital Cities from Wikipedia, it's a loooooooong list, so this might be better as a ListBox gadget instead, would mean more space though.

Cheers
Matt
Attachments
KRay_PhySky_LScript_UI_Before_After.png
geo_n

Post by geo_n »

Looks very good. I like it better than the huge vray banner. I hate vray panel its so unorganized.

Layout balancing in your pic is better without changing or misplacing the panels.
joreldraw

Post by joreldraw »

Is possible to save Physky config individually? Nice to share and make library of preset times
matt gorner

Post by matt gorner »

I was thinking of looking into making it load Google Earth KMZ files.
bigstick

Post by bigstick »

To be honest - I prefer the original.

I think in terms of design, I think yours is worse. Aesthetically it is definitely neater, but your version has no focus. The original, while having some areas that don't quite line up, has almost a dual-column approach, where the most important options are on the left, with the supplemental controls on the right. The additional space around the original controls makes it easy to immediately identify which controls of the UI you need to adjust.

Yours is superficially tidied up, but not beneficially IMHO. To me it is a bit like structuring text in a paragraph. Shorter paragraphs with right-aligned text are always easier to read than large chunks of justified text.

For me at least - form follows function ;)

[Edit: I Like the work on your website!]
matt gorner

Post by matt gorner »

Photons tab, trying out a banner to match the one on these forums, also had a play with the logo.
Attachments
Photons_Tab.png
matt gorner

Post by matt gorner »

bigstick wrote:To be honest - I prefer the original.

I think in terms of design, I think yours is worse. Aesthetically it is definitely neater, but your version has no focus. The original, while having some areas that don't quite line up, has almost a dual-column approach, where the most important options are on the left, with the supplemental controls on the right. The additional space around the original controls makes it easy to immediately identify which controls of the UI you need to adjust.

Yours is superficially tidied up, but not beneficially IMHO. To me it is a bit like structuring text in a paragraph. Shorter paragraphs with right-aligned text are always easier to read than large chunks of justified text.

For me at least - form follows function ;)

[Edit: I Like the work on your website!]
While I understand what you're saying, these gadgets (Camera Mode, Pixel Order, Irish Shape, DOF Target) _don't_ have secondary features, but benefit from having more space, especially the file gadgets.

The only one on the UI that could be shortened to break up the UI would be the Output file format, whereas the Output file path again benefits from a longer gadget. Same goes for the Header / Footer commands.

So to say it's superficially tidied up isn't quite deserved. I could have kept the gadgets the same lengths, but because nothing is in the space to their right, it seems pointless.

But everyone has a right to express an opinion, and the feedback is useful.
matt gorner

Post by matt gorner »

BTW: The Physical Sky plugin one _does_ need shorter gadgets, I agree that lots of same sized gadgets in a line makes it more difficult to locate items, but I was using the banner from other script which obviously makes the window (and gadgets) longer than needed on that UI.

I will be re-making that one.

Maybe this is the one you were referring to?
matt gorner

Post by matt gorner »

Updated Physical Sky LScript UI ...
Attachments
KRay_Physical_Sky_v2.png
jure

Post by jure »

It looks great!
- Jure
joreldraw

Post by joreldraw »

On photon tab i dont like the gray "K" of KRAY over the logo. Nice the carbono fiber BG.

And 1 question about PhySky. Is the hour time animatable to make a day cycle?

Thx
matt gorner

Post by matt gorner »

Very good question, I'm just re-laying out stuff, not re-coding the plugin, although I have suggested some new additions.

I'm not sure how this plugin is implemented in Kray, but it looks to me, mainly from the name, that this is the sky, and not the sun light. So either you just animate the light itself using motion modifiers, or this script needs to be a motion modifier, I would need to ask Jure about this.

The banner graphics are influx, nothing is final, but I agree the K stands out a bit too much, I was just experimenting to see what it would look like.
matt gorner

Post by matt gorner »

Final Gather Tab, and another version of the banner.
Attachments
Final_Gather_Tab.png
Last edited by matt gorner on Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.