Kray Hidden Feature, Surface Baker unlocked!

Please post finished works here.
8infinite8

Kray Hidden Feature, Surface Baker unlocked!

Post by 8infinite8 »

Hi guys, sorry to post here. It's been a while. I am using Surface Baking Camera and I am getting some weird results. I render with a normal camera and it shows the scene setup perfectly just how I want. Yet when I render the Surface Baker Camera to get a baked texture, the render is different and the textures produced dont match the scene?

Whats going on. I will post examples in a bit.

Also how do I find out which version of Kray I am Running?
8infinite8

Re: Surface Baking Camera Broken, Incorrect rendering

Post by 8infinite8 »

Ok guys, attached are some exmaple renders and screenshots.

I broke the scene into pieces to be rendered out seperately and ATLAS UV mapped to have the Baked renders applied. Each part was triangulated and the UV mapping tweaked. Then each part rendered one by one loaded into Modeller, cloaned and given a new material with the baked texture on it.

Some of the sections rendered out ok when baked but some had inconsistencies, some where darker and some just had scewed rendering.

I am using an older version of Kray I think and Lightwave 9.3, 64 Bit Vista.

Am I doing something wrong?

As you can see in Diag 2.jpg. All I did from the good version left was up the res and quality then the render screwed up the bake on the right. This is just one example of the battle to get these Baked textures out from one scene part by part. To reproduce the whole rendered scene in 3D.

Dia 03 .jpg shows the whole scene in Modeller mapped, some textures where darker than the should be due to Krays inconsistencies. Now the new version I am working on just doesnt work at all! ALl I have is one light in the scene. 24 bounces etc. As you can the render in Diag01 on the right works perfect but when baked out just screws up! left

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated.
Attachments
Baking Camera settings
Baking Camera settings
Kray Settings
Kray Settings
Baked room example working, old renderd textures
Baked room example working, old renderd textures
Example of render differences, just by change render size and triangulating mesh
Example of render differences, just by change render size and triangulating mesh
Example of broken Surface Baking Camera render
Example of broken Surface Baking Camera render
Haven1000

Post by Haven1000 »

Hi,

Not sure I've seen this problem before, then again I haven't done any baking in a while.

Could you try Kray's own baking camera (in the "Kray rending options", under "camera mode") and see if you get the same results?
8Infinite8 wrote:Also how do I find out which version of Kray I am Running?
During rendering if you look at the top of the render window you will see which version your using.
"Place your vote now for the Kraydar pixel filter"
8infinite8

Post by 8infinite8 »

Thanks Haven 1000, I will try that. I might be back again to rant some more!! I love Kray's renderer. It's just so frustrating what I see in the render should be transferable to the baking process, it really doesnt even matter if relcections and speular are baked, just so I can get that whole moment frozen in time from that one angle.
8infinite8

Post by 8infinite8 »

Haven! You are a legend! thanks for pointing that out I didnt realise there was a Kray Texture Baker in built. That's ace, it has got rid of all those rendering errors I was getting with LW Surface Baker. :D

Super, I will post some examples soon. It's great to be able to fly around the scene in full 3D!! :lol:
Haven1000

Post by Haven1000 »

Great :)

Can't wait to see it!
8infinite8

Post by 8infinite8 »

Haven1000 you are a life saver and you have pointed me onto the road of freedom! Kray is amazing! The best renderer on the market!

See attached movie file of the scene

Realtime Kitchen http://www.infinite-realities.net/downl ... est_01.mov

I cant wait to render out some more detailed textures, these were all rushed and rendered in about 30 mins a piece on low settings with very bodged Atlas UV's. The possibilities here are endless. Viewed in my realtime OpenGL Viewer. Infinite-Engine featuring realtime DOF and Motion Blur. Currently the viewer is WIP.

Recognise the scene? 8)

Cheers

Lee
Attachments
Screen_05.jpg
Screen_04.jpg
Screen_03.jpg
Screen_02.jpg
Screen_01.jpg
Haven1000

Post by Haven1000 »

WOW! excellent stuff Infinite,

You've got to give us some more information on your realtime engine.

What..where...when...why? come on spill the beans :lol:

BTW krays baking has always been one of its biggest secrets, I'm glad you like it.

Edit:
As it looks like there is a bug with the ACT could you possibly attach a small scene which replicates this bug so we can get it fixed? also we will probably move this thread to the 1.7 Open Beta Help & bug hunting forum, just in case you come back to this thread and can't find it,

And once again, congrats on your engine!!
Last edited by Haven1000 on Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8infinite8

Post by 8infinite8 »

Hey Haven,

Thanks ! Well Kray did all the work really :wink:

The Engine is in it's infancy but I hoping to release it to allow artists to show case their work in 3D. Being accused of cheating quite abit myself I thought it was about time I did something about it so other people can view Art work from all angles in 3D not just 2D images.

It will feature a whole host effects and shaders when complete and will always be a WIP. Currently objects have to be baked to be viewed. KRAY is amazing and your right
BTW krays baking has always been one of its biggest secrets, I'm clad you like it.
It really does have a big secret :wink:

Stay tuned 8)
jure

Post by jure »

Wow this looks realy amazing! Great stuff! I'd love to play with this once it's available...

Btw. there are indeed a lot of features that are not yet well documented about kray. Including the ability to write your own GUI scripts to work with Kray. So you could probably write a script that would allow you to render out all your uvmaps one after another automaticaly. There's some about writing custom GUI plugins here: http://www.kraytracing.com/wiki/Advance ... UI_plugins

Also Kray SDK is now available for developers that want to use it in connection with their application... http://www.kraytracing.com/wiki/Kray_SDK

Oh and btw. where did the girl go? :D
- Jure
florian

Post by florian »

This looks really cool. Hope we get some more info on it soon.

Cheers, Florian
8infinite8

Post by 8infinite8 »

Jure: Hey there. Thanks for the comments. What you are talking about is exactly what I need! I now have a system in place to render out each piece but is has to be done by hand currently. It would be great to set everything on high and just let it churn through each model and UV set one at a time and rename the texture file to match! Could anyone help out with that? I could easily donate some models or scenes perhaps as a trade :D

I am afriad the girl is being rendered in FPRIME using simple skin. But it will be added soon and more :wink:

I have lots more lighting conditions and characters to show :shock:

I will mention about those things to my coder partner.

Florian: Thanks :D I wll share some more info soon.

If anyone knows away to be able to script Kray to render through a sequence of objects and UV's one after the other using texture baker built into Kray, please let me know 8)
erwin zwart

Post by erwin zwart »

8Infinite8 wrote: If anyone knows away to be able to script Kray to render through a sequence of objects and UV's one after the other using texture baker built into Kray, please let me know 8)
really cool baked scene and viewer. Batch rendering of texture maps via lscript now should be possible, nobody made it yet though. You could also batchrender kray scenes on BNR as a workaround for now. The networkrendering area of kray is in movement at the moment and I hope to test these new things soon.
I have made some baked scenes as test for PIMtools in the past and your post did put me on that track again, thx ;)
8infinite8

Post by 8infinite8 »

Hey Guys,

Added another movie here.

http://www.infinite-realities.net/downl ... Y_Shot.mov

Added a new version lit in the day time :lol:

Again very rough, some bad areas like the radiators which I will change. But not bad for a 1st pass, it's a shame everything is baked in like, refraction and reflection etc

More to come.

PS would it be possible for a MOD to change this thread and put into the Gallery section? as the title is wrong now :mrgreen:

Instead of Surface Baking Camera Broken, it should read Kray Hidden Feature, Surface Baker unlocked! :)
I-G_Screenies_DAY_06.jpg
Attachments
I-G_Screenies_DAY_05.jpg
I-G_Screenies_DAY_03.jpg
I-G_Screenies_DAY_02.jpg
I-G_Screenies_DAY_01.jpg