bad shadows

Post your tutorials and help questions in this forum
NiGMa

bad shadows

Post by NiGMa »

Hi, look at the attached picture, the areas circled red have blurred or no shadows, what is causing this? The polys are a simple edges with no chamfers/edge bevel, but I tried adding some small edges but it didnt help much.

This is rendered with the high preset in kray 1.7 OB2, what is causing it?

I need a quick reply if possible, thanks, kray is working out good.

NiGMa

NiGMa

Post by NiGMa »

^^BUMP^^

come one guys, no ones experienced this before?

or was I not clear?

NiGMa
jure

Post by jure »

Sorry didn't see your post before...

It seems that sample density is too low. What are your FG settings? Perhaps decreasing spatial tolerance will help.
- Jure
NiGMa

Post by NiGMa »

Hi, thanks Jure, that was rendered on the "high" preset, which makes the spacial tolerance 0.08 which is small enough I think. Anymore ideas?

NiGMa
erwin zwart

Post by erwin zwart »

NiGMa wrote:Hi, thanks Jure, that was rendered on the "high" preset, which makes the spacial tolerance 0.08 which is small enough I think. Anymore ideas?
the number 0.08 is relative to the GI res, so it can be still too large. Upload the scene (or email me erwin.zwartATxs4all.nl) and I can show what you can do to solve it. In these cases I render the FG samples in purple to see if details are catched by the irradiance map. Als try a fast preview with Cached Irradiance turned OFF en FG min100 max 0 (quasi monte carlo mode). There you see what it should look like with correct cache settings.
NiGMa

Post by NiGMa »

Hi guys,

Thanks Erwin for your efforts at getting this working.

Here are two renders, one with the settings you gave me, which rendered in 8hrs

and the other is the global preset "High", which rendered in 13hrs

I think yours is better, it helped the shadow problem, not 100% solved but it did improve it, which setting affected this? its also better because of the speed. =)

NiGMa
Attachments
Erwins Settings
Erwins Settings
erwin.png (153.58 KiB) Viewed 3955 times
High Setting
High Setting
high.png (109.12 KiB) Viewed 3954 times
erwin zwart

Post by erwin zwart »

my settings gave another image here, maybe FGblur settings changed a lot. Hope the new OB3 gets out soon.
Did you try QMC yet?
Attachments
679CP93Penarth_region_00000.png
679CP93Penarth_region_00000.png (191.56 KiB) Viewed 3978 times
NiGMa

Post by NiGMa »

yes Erwin, I had to use QMC to finish the job, it worked very well, but its slow. Your render is very different, even the surfaces, I wonder if that is because you do not have the skylight shader/plugin or because your newer kray build. ???
erwin zwart

Post by erwin zwart »

NiGMa wrote:yes Erwin, I had to use QMC to finish the job, it worked very well, but its slow. Your render is very different, even the surfaces, I wonder if that is because you do not have the skylight shader/plugin or because your newer kray build. ???
this is skylight I guess, did not check, if you used it, I used it. Because you did not send textures, I use Override and the new Override keeps transparency and luminosity (new switches) so that is why it looks different. As you see the small contact shadows are OK in my render. QMC is always better for stills I think, because you don't have to look for good cache settings ;) and that trades rendertime for setup/tweak time. With a lot of skylight you don't need much FG rays for min (max is always 0 in QMC) to clear out noise fast.