Ambient occlusion

Post your tutorials and help questions in this forum
brownie

Ambient occlusion

Post by brownie »

Hi guys,

Could you tell me what's your favorite solution to create an AO pass?
I've tried a few, and was scared how much it takes time to get noiseless renders.

As an addition, do we have an hidden option in kray to add a AO pass to buffers?
HappyMantis

Re: Ambient occlusion

Post by HappyMantis »

I never try to render an AO passe with kray...however I think it should work just as Lightwave, meaning with nodes.

If your question is about how to render an AO pass in LW (and not in kray, cause there is (still?) no way to have an AO buffer), you may try shadermeister (but it's not a free plug) which could apply an AO setup to all surfaces, or just do it by setup an AO surface, and then copy it to all others surfaces by yourself (which is pretty fast indeed).

Beware of the "hitting the save all object button" syndrome, cause you don't want to collapse all your surfaces! to avoid this, you may want to save your object under a different names or be very careful to not saves them after applying AO to all surfaces.

A fast way to do this is simply by doing a "package scene", that way you can change both your object, lightning and GI without any fear.

Otherwise, the DPkit occlusion node or the SGambocclusion are both two good way to have quality and fast render...however, I never compare occlusion render time between Kray and LW.
HappyMantis

Re: Ambient occlusion

Post by HappyMantis »

Hello again! (just see your message on LWF :) )

SGambocclusion got a shader version too, which allow to override all others surfaces, meaning that you apply the shader to one surface, check "override surfaces" and got ambient occlusion on every surfaces in the scenes: http://www2.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~goetsch/AmbOcc/

It's an experimental shader so you may meet some bugs - I don't test it - but it could be useful :)