Another "help to improve" topic

Post your tutorials and help questions in this forum
brownie

Another "help to improve" topic

Post by brownie »

I used to have a lot of difficulties to use Kray, and I'm fighting with it for one year now.
But things are better now, especially by using light planes instead of areas, and with the help of previous topics.

SO this is the first "showable" render, with a lot of things that need to be improve.
Here I don't talk about the scene in itself (I know there's one floating mug on the right!), but the general Kray setup.

I tried to follow all the advices I could collected in this forum.
The only personal touch (and maybe I'm wrong) is to use a hdri skydome instead of Kray physical sky.
The same hdri pic is placed on another ball for reflection purpose. (A bit like the Sibl plugin does)

Thanx for any help.

jure

Re: Another "help to improve" topic

Post by jure »

Hey,

I think the image is quite good though there is certainly room for improvement. One thing is the lighting - the room looks very bright like there are many light sources illuminating the room. Therefore shadows are not strong enough and you don't get enough feel of depth in the scene. Lighting could also be more dramatic and in different colors - light from windows more bluish vs. light from lamps - more yellow.

The second thing that could be improved are materials. For some surfaces you cannot really identify what they are made of. Try to work more on that - get good reference photons and try to mimic material appearance.
- Jure
brownie

Post by brownie »

I'm not sure it's better :
Light planes in windows more blue.
ies lights warmer.
+ switched off the sun.
jure

Post by jure »

emm yea it's a bit better - the bluish light looks nicer with the blue color of cabinets... But now you need another yellowish light to break up the monotony or something... Add some indirect lights behind the counter or something... The design is not very good imho...

How about materials - you should work on them more - is the gray surface supposed to be stainless steel? If yes then it's has too high reflection blur. Get some material reference photos and try to work from there.
- Jure
brownie

Post by brownie »

Another update following the kind advices of Jure.
Some reflection blur problems.

+ couldn't get a good result with brushed metals; partly because of this reflection blur problem.

Setup and render below:

jure

Post by jure »

brownie wrote:Another update following the kind advices of Jure.
Some reflection blur problems.

+ couldn't get a good result with brushed metals; partly because of this reflection blur problem.
what reflection blur problems do you mean?
- Jure
silverlw

Post by silverlw »

Brownie:
The scene itself looks ok to me but it seems like you are using a low density image as your environment/reflectionmap.
That's why the highlights in your metal and porcelain are blue but they usually are white or blown out.
If you use a HDRI instead i bet that scene will look much more eye catching.
brownie

Post by brownie »

That's for Jure (or anyone who has an idea):

And to silverlw : Well you're absolutely right; it's my mistake. I will try to "convert" my background to hdri with PictureNaut, an I'll post the result afterward.
jure

Post by jure »

You just need more min/max reflection blur rays... Though that part looks so dark on my screen that I can hardly make out the noise.
- Jure