Presets

General disscusion about Kray
khan973

Presets

Post by khan973 »

Hi guys,

Today, one of our interns showed me a website where you can download Vray materials.
I was amazed, pissed, surprised and all at the same time.
They have TONS of Materials, and they are good quality materials, they actually look real.
It seems like people just have to get pre maid objects, use material presets and scene presets...
I feel like it loses it magic, but it's very efficient.

I am kind of jealous too, we can make a huge library of materials too!
We would need to make them High quality, like with a vote system to keep the level high.
Are there some people who are down to make it happen? I am!
jure

Re: Presets

Post by jure »

khan973 wrote:Hi guys,

Today, one of our interns showed me a website where you can download Vray materials.
I was amazed, pissed, surprised and all at the same time.
They have TONS of Materials, and they are good quality materials, they actually look real.
It seems like people just have to get pre maid objects, use material presets and scene presets...
I feel like it loses it magic, but it's very efficient.

I am kind of jealous too, we can make a huge library of materials too!
We would need to make them High quality, like with a vote system to keep the level high.
Are there some people who are down to make it happen? I am!
Hey,

yes this is idea I have for a long time already. The preset scene is ready the website design also but we got stuck at the development. The page was supposed to be ready when the new website went online. I did manage to get one guy who started to code it but he made a mess in the end and the page was left half completed. Grzegorz now hired another guy to do the work but he seems very slow with it also... Of course it's not easy to develop such a website especially when we want to integrate it with our existing user base...
- Jure
npix

Post by npix »

Hey,

yes this is idea I have for a long time already. The preset scene is ready the website design also but we got stuck at the development. The page was supposed to be ready when the new website went online. I did manage to get one guy who started to code it but he made a mess in the end and the page was left half completed. Grzegorz now hired another guy to do the work but he seems very slow with it also... Of course it's not easy to develop such a website especially when we want to integrate it with our existing user base...[/quote]

So is this going to happen in the near future?
jure

Post by jure »

npix wrote:
So is this going to happen in the near future?
If all goes well this time then yes.
- Jure
geo_n

Post by geo_n »

That's why vray is king even though kray can do the same quality render. The number of resources available for download is huge. They have thousands of johnys rendering super high quality renders using what's on the net. Vray users focus more on composition than technical stuff. 3dallusion and evermotion is filled with great renders. I saw a 19 year doing his thesis that would make lw pre archiviz artists weep. :mrgreen:
If kray can do good marketting,etc, the combo of lw and kray for an affordable alternative could be successful. Very few people have heard of kray outside of lw community.
jure

Post by jure »

geo_n wrote:That's why vray is king even though kray can do the same quality render. The number of resources available for download is huge. They have thousands of johnys rendering super high quality renders using what's on the net. Vray users focus more on composition than technical stuff. 3dallusion and evermotion is filled with great renders. I saw a 19 year doing his thesis that would make lw pre archiviz artists weep. :mrgreen:
If kray can do good marketting,etc, the combo of lw and kray for an affordable alternative could be successful. Very few people have heard of kray outside of lw community.
Although marketing is important I don't think the developers of Vray invested whole that much into marketing themselves. Portals like vraymaterials and evermotion and 3dallusion have been started by users that have no affiliation to chaos group as far as I know, but they are the best promoters for the software by far...

Users and their works are the best promoters for the software that's why it'd be nice if best kray users would also publish their works outside this forum and help to spread the word this way...
- Jure
khan973

Post by khan973 »

I agree, that's why it's important to get presets, lots of materials ans tutorials.
If I was better at optimizing scenes I would have made some.
A lot of people are hobbyists, ar intermediate users and they need things that are easy.
I like to think, otimize, understand, but many people don't want the pain which I understand and we need to think that way. Jure's latests tutorials help in that way.

I am starting to build a material base for archviz and product design. if the platform isn't ready yet when we are done, I'll probably just release it.

I think we also need to show Kray renders in other forums, outside Lightwave world.
In terms of cost, Lightwave + Kray + LWCAD is cheap combo! + you can render with a renderfarm with unlimited nodes natively !!!!
This only should bring many people to consider that solution, compared to the yearly update by AD.

We just need to get more ressources, and more things that show how you do something from the ground up with those cost effective tools.
npix

Post by npix »

Agree the quicker people learn the software the quicker & wider the word spreads

Zbrush released a new plugin the other week along with a great tutorial to show Just how easy it is to use and exactly what it does, word of this spread all over other forums in no time...

There is a huge learning curve in 3D (well with me there is) and people using it haven't got the time to wade through pages of print, they will of course later go into the finer details, but if they can hit the ground running all the better.

With a good selection of presets, good tutorials & and a forum they can turn to if they get stuck, It's a win win, user and Kray.